• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still don't get it and are more concerned with trying to get one up on someone than to actually take in a conversation. Here is my full quote

The bolded part isn't a definitive statement. It doesn't mean the audience score will always be higher than the critics score in movies like this. It literally means it sometimes happens which is entirely my point. The critic score doesn't always track with the audience score.
No. I get it. You said one specific thing. The opposite is true. The true thing is what I said and completely opposite to what you said, and now you’re trying to backtrack and be purposefully obtuse to try to make a different narrative about what you said... but what you said is literally in black n white in this thread. take your dunce lumps and move on.

Possibly. But there are instances where the critics hate the movie and the audience loves it, and it usually happens with big franchises like Star Wars

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you’re going to discuss spoilers or discuss the movie after you’ve seen it, please discuss it here.

After about a week or two, we can combine this thread with the main thread for this movie.

Sound good, admins?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you’re going to discuss spoilers or discuss the movie after you’ve seen it, please discuss it here.

After about a week or two, we can combine this thread with the main thread for this movie.

Sound good, admins?

Okay, for this unusual case of a really big and long-hyped movie with major surprises spoiled early on the Internet.

Last edited:

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m going to watch it on IMAX tonight at 1:05am. you?

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heading tonight mostly just to avoid spoilers. Really only excited for Lando and papa Palpatine but maybe it'll be fine.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly. But there are instances where the critics hate the movie and the audience loves it, and it usually happens with big franchises like Star Wars
Yep. Didn't Rogue One and Solo get mixed critic reviews? I really enjoyed both of them.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I get it. You said one specific thing. The opposite is true. The true thing is what I said and completely opposite to what you said, and now you’re trying to backtrack and be purposefully obtuse to try to make a different narrative about what you said... but what you said is literally in black n white in this thread. take your dunce lumps and move on.

Lol at you ignoring the part already pointed out to you about it not being absolute. You clearly do not understand. I will move on because you are incapable of having a conversation

Yep. Didn't Rogue One and Solo get mixed critic reviews? I really enjoyed both of them.

I don't know the specifics but I think RO was generally well liked by both critics and audiences. Not overly loved, but generally positive. I do remember significant number of people bitching about the CGI'd Tarkin and Leia, but the rest seemed well received. Solo did worse though. It was plagued by production issues and it came across in the movie. It got middling reception from both audiences and the box office missed Disney's projections enough to where they put a halt on all the secondary SW movies they had planned at the time (they've since re-assessed and moved forward with some different SW projects)

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at you ignoring the part already pointed out to you about it not being absolute. You clearly do not understand. I will move on because you are incapable of having a conversation

I don't know the specifics but I think RO was generally well liked by both critics and audiences. Not overly loved, but generally positive. I do remember significant number of people bitching about the CGI'd Tarkin and Leia, but the rest seemed well received. Solo did worse though. It was plagued by production issues and it came across in the movie. It got middling reception from both audiences and the box office missed Disney's projections enough to where they put a halt on all the secondary SW movies they had planned at the time (they've since re-assessed and moved forward with some different SW projects)
I might be confusing it with the concern over the re-shoots RO had before it came out. Regardless that's a well-taken point. I would have enjoyed TLJ strictly as a movie more than a Star Wara movie.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the movie. Went in with zero expectations. Was just wanting to wrap this whole thing up. I enjoyed it even though a few times I thought it had an 80's cheese feeling.

My son wanted to be critical and so he said he didn't like it.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
POST HERE IF YOUVE SEEN THE MOVIE

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say it was the best of this trilogy in my opinion but that's not saying much coming from me. Went in with low expectations but I enjoyed it. It was like Star Wars meets Indiana Jones and Game of Thrones (seriously when was a throne ever such a symbol of power in Star Wars?), with a little bit of Goonies and Power Rangers mixed in there too.

I wouldn't call it a satisfying conclusion to the 9 part saga though but in isolation it was decent. There really should have been more Skywalkers from Kylo's generation in this trilogy. Kind of depressing that their bloodline appears to be extinct. Maybe Kylo Force impregnated Rey.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is how I was hoping the sequel trilogy would. The ending felt rushed and I can see why critics were so mixed with how disjointed it could be but overall I enjoyed it. Had some nice closure with the OT characters. Wish we could've seen what this trilogy would've been had VIII had been more like this because it was pretty clear it distanced itself from it as much as it could. This really should've been split between VIII and IX.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say it was the best of this trilogy in my opinion but that's not saying much coming from me. Went in with low expectations but I enjoyed it. It was like Star Wars meets Indiana Jones and Game of Thrones (seriously when was a throne ever such a symbol of power in Star Wars?), with a little bit of Goonies and Power Rangers mixed in there too.

I wouldn't call it a satisfying conclusion to the 9 part saga though but in isolation it was decent. There really should have been more Skywalkers from Kylo's generation in this trilogy. Kind of depressing that their bloodline appears to be extinct. Maybe Kylo Force impregnated Rey.

Their bloodline fabricated itself out of nothing before, maybe it can do it again! That or maybe Luke was really hitting up the clubs with Lando when they were on their adventures. He's got baby mamas all over the galaxy

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also why THEE fuck is there a half hour of previews/commercials before?

I mean, I know why, but fuck them anyway.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking it over my biggest issue isn't even with the movie itself but rather with Disney not having directory continuity. Overall it seems clear what JJ wanted this story to be but he had to jam it all into one movie instead of it being done over the two. It just leaves you wondering what could have been if this was done over VIII and IX, especially since it was pretty clear it wanted as little to do with TLJ as possible and had much more of a traditional Star Wars feel to it. But even having said all that I still liked it.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rogue One received a lot of praise. It has a solid 83% RT score, which is not perfect but still pretty good. I know that RT's critic's score has to be taken with a grain of salt, but for Rogue One the critics' and audience's scores are very close.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual the critics are up their own asses and pretentious dickwads. This movie was actually pretty freaking good, if you take out episode eight and just watch seven and nine it’s a good story.

Pretty much every plot point that was brought up in episode 7 that Ryan Johnson completely ignored in episode 8 was answered here and I thought they wrapped up the saga very nicely.