• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit to not having kept up with Star Wars since I was a kid with the first 3.

My kid was streaming Force Awakens last night.

He asked what i thought, I said "They just recycled the first one, but cast Luke as a woman, and Darth Vader as a huge faggot"

He LOL'd

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to thank @ElTexan for lowering my hopes.

that might make it better.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit to not having kept up with Star Wars since I was a kid with the first 3.

My kid was streaming Force Awakens last night.

He asked what i thought, I said "They just recycled the first one, but cast Luke as a woman, and Darth Vader as a huge faggot"

He LOL'd
Congratulations on having your kid laugh at your joke.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably higher on TLJ than most but....the movie totally destroyed the trilogy. I'm hearing that the first half of this movie is a boring exposition dump just to get a new plot going.

I think the only way I see this is if my wife pushes the issue. I'd rather stay home and watch Disney+, tbh

edit -typo

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respect to Rey's heritage

I always sucked at Lit class and symbolism and that kind of bullshit, but George Lucas and crew hits you upside the head with it.. balance, dark and light, good and evil...

So if that Faggy Kylo guy is the son of a good guy, then obviously Rey is daughter of a bad guy.. some sith banged some random broad on that planet she lived on.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
55% critics rating on RottenT. And I read the synopses of the reviews, there were only two of the positive ratings that weren’t heavily qualified.
If those are the critics ratings, the audience rating is going to be dismal.
And after reading the reviews, it seems exactly as predicted above: trying to do too much to fix everything the meandering previous two Episodes fucked up, and fucking it up even more.

Possibly. But there are instances where the critics hate the movie and the audience loves it, and it usually happens with big franchises like Star Wars

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here it is for those interested. Probably the biggest issue I see is they pack in A LOT of story content. It's almost impossible to do that amount justice in one movie, which really just speaks to how lacking the prior two movies were in that respect. Some of this stuff will probably be better than it reads and I think there's some good ideas here, but like I said, its a lot and I'm skeptical that there's enough time to make it come off perfectly

The Rise of Skywalker Spoilerboard

Patting myself on the back here. Reading the reviews today and they largely hit on exactly what I pointed out here; there's too much content, almost like its 2 movies worth piled into one.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respect to Rey's heritage

I always sucked at Lit class and symbolism and that kind of bullshit, but George Lucas and crew hits you upside the head with it.. balance, dark and light, good and evil...

So if that Faggy Kylo guy is the son of a good guy, then obviously Rey is daughter of a bad guy.. some sith banged some random broad on that planet she lived on.
She was conceived without a mother the same way Anakin was conceived without a father.

Basically some sith lord busted a nut on Jakku and his stray load turned into Rey.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly. But there are instances where the critics hate the movie and the audience loves it, and it usually happens with big franchises like Star Wars
8kzf7QX.jpg

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I'm talking about though. With big franchises, its not uncommon to see the critic score and the audience score to be flipped. I was just pointing that out when you said the critic score was bad and the audience score will be too. That could be the case, but its not always that way

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She was conceived without a mother the same way Anakin was conceived without a father.

Basically some sith lord busted a nut on Jakku and his stray load turned into Rey.

Well whatever, their respective conceptions not withstanding, there is going to be some parallel to an earlier movie; Anakin, born of the light side, chose dark side, she will do the opposite, since she was born of the dark side.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
55% critics rating on RottenT. And I read the synopses of the reviews, there were only two of the positive ratings that weren’t heavily qualified.
If those are the critics ratings, the audience rating is going to be dismal.
And after reading the reviews, it seems exactly as predicted above: trying to do too much to fix everything the meandering previous two Episodes fucked up, and fucking it up even more.

TLJ sucked big time, and still got good reviews, mostly because critics where suckered in by the heavy handed feminism and political messages. I hope this one is avoiding all that crap, which would be a great thing and would make the movie more watchable. In objective terms, it's pretty much imposible for this to be worse than TLJ.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm talking about though. With big franchises, its not uncommon to see the critic score and the audience score to be flipped. I was just pointing that out when you said the critic score was bad and the audience score will be too. That could be the case, but its not always that way
No. You argued the opposite. Nice try tho.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not related to the new movie, but saw this on my youtube feed and thought it was pretty cool.

Would love to see Empire Strikes back remastered. Obviously all the Lightsaber fights would be cooler, but I think they could have made the battle on Hoth Epic with today's technology.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see Empire Strikes back remastered. Obviously all the Lightsaber fights would be cooler, but I think they could have made the battle on Hoth Epic with today's technology.
That was pretty much the case behind the late 90s Special Editions, and they didn't turn out that great IIRC. Yes, they improved some of the visuals, which was fine, but they also changed a few bits "just because" (Han shot first!!).

That lightsaber fight was epic, and a vast improvement over the original.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
User reviews are abysmal... better brace myself, but at least I'll go see it without any expectations.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. You argued the opposite. Nice try tho.

No, you're not getting what I'm telling you. You posted that because the critics score was low, the audience score will probably be low as well. I just pointed out that the two aren't always related, especially in big, popular franchises. I literally said "But there are instances where the critics hate the movie and the audience loves it" and you countered showing another example of what I'm talking about (the score was just flipped) that the two scores aren't always related.

The user reviews for this specific movie could be low as well but the point you missed is that the critic and audience score don't always track.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you're not getting what I'm telling you. You posted that because the critics score was low, the audience score will probably be low as well. I just pointed out that the two aren't always related, especially in big, popular franchises. I literally said "But there are instances where the critics hate the movie and the audience loves it" and you countered showing another example of what I'm talking about (the score was just flipped) that the two scores aren't always related.

The user reviews for this specific movie could be low as well but the point you missed is that the critic and audience score don't always track.
Yeah. You didn’t say ‘sometimes they’re not related.’
You literally said that especially in these kind of movies the AUDIENCE ratings are higher. I countered that specifically with the most previous movie in the franchise.
stop lying about what you said. Take your dunce lumps, and move on.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLJ sucked big time, and still got good reviews, mostly because critics where suckered in by the heavy handed feminism and political messages. I hope this one is avoiding all that crap, which would be a great thing and would make the movie more watchable. In objective terms, it's pretty much imposible for this to be worse than TLJ.

Were, not where.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. You didn’t say ‘sometimes they’re not related.’
You literally said that especially in these kind of movies the AUDIENCE ratings are higher. I countered that specifically with the most previous movie in the franchise.
stop lying about what you said. Take your dunce lumps, and move on.

You still don't get it and are more concerned with trying to get one up on someone than to actually take in a conversation. Here is my full quote

The bolded part isn't a definitive statement. It doesn't mean the audience score will always be higher than the critics score in movies like this. It literally means it sometimes happens which is entirely my point. The critic score doesn't always track with the audience score.