• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi (2017)

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't care less about the politics of Star Wars movies. I also don't care that people disliked the films. I don't get why people seem to be so bothered by the lead being a female. But to each their own I guess.

It's not the lead being a female that bothered me. Rey was extremely Mary Sue, but so are most Star awards characters, I like Rey as the lead. It's the; "you screwed up because you're just a headstrong Male, not a rational smart female" plot that bothered me. That was shoving politics down my throat.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much everything.

You know how your wife/girlfriend/mother/daughter/who ever looks at Pinterest and sees this amazing looking recipe made by some professional chef or something and it's got hundreds of thousands of positive reviews. Then she makes it and it looks fucking awful and somehow it doesn't even taste good. And all she says is; "I don't understand I followed the recipe."

That's The Force Awakens.

The thing that annoys me the most though is that (original trilogy) Leia is one of the strongest female characters in all of fiction. Certainly one of the strongest from the 70's and 80's. Lando is black and blew up the second death star. C3-PO is gay, Yoda can't talk right, and all of the empire is white. The original trilogy did empowerment and diversity before it was required, and they did it subtly and without you even noticing. The Force Awakens tried to jam it down your throat and it detracted from the story.

On top of that if you complained about the forced political statement they were making, they came back and said it was because you were a racist, misogynistic, hate monger.

But mostly I just hated it because it was bad. A bad story, bad acting, bad plotting, bad pacing, bad treatment of iconic characters and none of it made any sense.

Oops I meant the last jedi, not the force awakens. Guess this shows how much I care about these new star wars. I can't even keep the names straight.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the lead being a female that bothered me. Rey was extremely Mary Sue, but so are most Star awards characters, I like Rey as the lead. It's the; "you screwed up because you're just a headstrong Male, not a rational smart female" plot that bothered me. That was shoving politics down my throat.

Huh. Ok. I agree that it was pretty hamfisted but I really didn't get the "rational smart female vs headstrong male" so much as rash young take action man vs older wiser cautious woman. And while I don't think the film was necessarily going for this point, but ultimately Poe was right.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it was a fun movie to watch. However the lack of depth on character development really hurt this film.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these fucking movies and whatnot confuse the hell out of me.

So, Star Wars was the first movie, but it's really the fourth, or some such shit? Then Empire and Return of the Jedi, then there were three that came way later, but are the first three? Now there's a Star Wars Part 8, so I'm assuming there was a Star Wars Part 7 - what was that one called?

Then there's Solo and Rogue One with the chick with the bangable dumper.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bd715ad653adb5922802e852e07142ae.jpg

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ended up seeing this movie for a second time awhile back as well.

Initially I thought this movie was solid. The Rey/Kylo stuff was great. Luke was.....interesting I guess. I enjoyed his part at the end of the film at least. Problem was most of the movie involves the fleet and the absolutely retarded Finn/Rose subplot but I overlooked that at first.

Upon a second viewing, it doesn't get any better and the flaws really start to show (much like The Force Awakens). I liked the Rey/Kylo stuff more the second time around but hated the fleet and Finn/Rose shit more too. This definitely isn't a bad movie, but I've come to the conclusion that it really isn't good either.

Biggest problem areas IMO:

Holdo - Yeah this was stupid as shit. She was an idiot and as somebody mentioned it should have been Ackbar sacrificing himself.

Leia Space Mary Poppins - Dumb as hell. Should have just killed her off. If she can survive that shit there are very few ways she should actually be able to die. No clue what they do with Leia in the next film.

Finn - Could have been interesting in this movie, wasted him on a pointless fetch quest. Should have sacrificed himself at the end.

Rose - Movie is just better if she isn't in the film.

Phasma - I don't even know what the fuck they are doing with this character. She does nothing in the first film except get thrown in a trash compactor and somehow escape Starkiller Base before it's blown to hell. Then in TLJ she gets the shit beat out of her by Finn. She's probably still alive somehow, but nobody will care.

Yoda - Seems like a ghost that can shoot lightning would be pretty helpful in a fight.

The other big complaints I've heard were mostly about Rey's parents and Snoke supposedly being nobodies with no real back story. That doesn't bother me. Any explanation for their backgrounds was probably going to be goofy anyway.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished watching this for the firs time. I did not hate it, but the last second rescue of Finn was a huge mistake. It was a perfect set up to actually add some emotional investment into the movie and they squandered it.

One thing I like is the explanation for Kylo Ren, I thought he was one of the worst villians of all time, but at least now you can see a reason he is a super whiney bitch with anger issues.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 meh's, but anyone who expected a JJ Abrams run thing to not turn much much worse has not followed his career. Starting strong and ending badly is his calling card.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the boba fett movie is dead. I was looking forward to that one.

Boba Fett is my favorite Star Wars character. Probably dodged a bullet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the director said she doesn't care about catering to Star Wars fans, instead preferring to cater to her political base. We discussed this. You called it a shit show. But you're still confused.
I think you have me confused with someone else. I dont think I have complained about the political tilt in the new movies. I see it, and I understand why some would be bothered, but I personally am somewhat blind to it. I rather enjoyed Solo, for example, even though I saw why others would get bent over it.

I am pissed about the Akbar thing because it doesn’t make sense from a story telling POV. It is a wasted opportunity. Similar to my frustration with Leia ignoring Chewy upon Han’s death and instead consoling Rey. That just doesn’t make sense.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haven't seen it yet.... Now I can watch it for free.... Happy about that

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie was fine. Nothing will be as good as Empire... best not to even try comparing.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Race and gender in these movies had absolutely zero impact.

You could have replaced any of the new non white or female characters with a white male, and the story would have been exactly the same, outside of brief romantic subplots.

If anything, THAT seems to be some peoples problems. That they're takin er jerbs.

Fucking Mace Windu and his gay purple lightsaber