• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Finals: Washington Capitals vs. Las Vegas Golden Knights

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Capitals put out a press release on that today. Here's a copy of the text from the press release just before 10:00 am this morning...

Over the past few days we have received many inquiries about what the pre-game show and introductions will be like for Games 3 and 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals' series between the Las Vegas Golden Knights and the Washington Capitals. For years, Capitals' fans have enjoyed a few minutes of excitement building videos prior to the game starting. But the team has decided to enhance the pre-game experience for fans in honor of the Caps' historic playoff run. If you come by Capital One arena during this series, here is what we have in store for you:
  • Three local drum corps will be playing on each street around the arena to get fans excited before the game even starts from 5:45 - 7:45 pm.
  • For the pregame introduction, character actors will skate to the middle of the ice. Several will be dressed in red representing the Capitals while the others will be dressed in black. A small pantomimed scene will play out in which the performers are debating an important policy issue. At the conclusion of the scene, a vote will be called and the players in red will win a decisive legislative victory!
  • Three live eagles will be soaring around the arena to excite fans (please keep noise to a minimum during this portion of the pre-game show as it does encourage them to strike).
  • DC-native Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters will play 7 full-length songs because they aren't pussies like god damn Imagine Dragons who stop at just one song.
  • As the players come out for their final warm up skate, Tom Wilson will lead the team onto the ice and will two-handed slash a Golden Knights jersey clad detainee from Guantanamo on loan from the federal government. Whether or not this individual is decapitated, on ice graphics will show blood spilling out. (Parental warning: Please note this content of this show may be too awesome for some small children.)
  • A large eagle statue will slowly lower each starting Capitals player from the rafters to the ice in it's talons as the starting lineup is announced.
  • At 9:37 pm, the game will promptly commence.
We hope these add to the Stanley Cup Finals' experience for fans and show those in Las Vegas that we too can put on a show. Let's go Caps!

LOL - awesome. Could also be enhanced by having Trump showing up during one of the games & kicking several random LV players in the nuts.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't like a new team getting so far. The hard core fan in Toronto, Buffalo etc who has been with his team every game for 40 years with nothing to show for it deserves a cup more than these fans. But I also understand it's good to get a new city so excited at a new sport to them.

I also get it's Vegas and that's what they do there. But after 2 days of Elvis and all WWF atmosphere I look forward to Washington's turn. We've got pretty amazing fans here too and they've been at it a lot longer than the last few months.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't like a new team getting so far. The hard core fan in Toronto, Buffalo etc who has been with his team every game for 40 years with nothing to show for it deserves a cup more than these fans. But I also understand it's good to get a new city so excited at a new sport to them.

I also get it's Vegas and that's what they do there. But after 2 days of Elvis and all WWF atmosphere I look forward to Washington's turn. We've got pretty amazing fans here too and they've been at it a lot longer than the last few months.

The truth is the best thing that could happen long term for Vegas hockey is that they lose this series. Their fans get a taste of hockey greatness, but don't get the Cup. Vegas wins this series and those fans will be spoiled rotten and in 10 years we'll have Phoenix 2.0.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is the best thing that could happen long term for Vegas hockey is that they lose this series. Their fans get a taste of hockey greatness, but don't get the Cup. Vegas wins this series and those fans will be spoiled rotten and in 10 years we'll have Phoenix 2.0.

My sentiments exactly. Though i’d compare it more to a Colorado Avs 2.0 :noidea:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't really work for Florida, though...

One of my concerns about Vegas was that the city of Vegas wanted to be seen as "legitimate" in the eyes of the big 4 pro sports, and I don't think it's much secret that they would have preferred an NFL or MLB franchise in that hunt. Those sports said no. My worry was that now those other sports will see the enthusiasm of the locals, the real locals, and NFL will go there. At that point, NHL will be dropped like a hot rock. I didn't want to see the NHL used.

That *was* my concern. Quite honestly, I don't think even the most jaded among of us would say that the enthusiasm and passion isn't real. And getting this far with a bunch of misfits with the personality they have, it's a perfect storm for them. They're not there to see a show like I was afraid. They are there to watch hockey.

I think even if the Raiders go to Vegas next year, I don't think I see the Knights losing much. It feels legit. They've convinced me. And any hockey fan will tell you that if you take a fan of any other sport to a hockey game in person, it will be really hard to NOT convert them.

I will be really closely watching the USA Hockey registrations for the next 4 years.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas has done their work and it has paid off. They have tons of draft picks in their pockets for the next few years.
They also have many people who have NHL experience in several positions. Vegas will not turn into a Phoenix basement
dweller. This series already has had plenty of action!

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Vegas has done their work and it has paid off. They have tons of draft picks in their pockets for the next few years.
They also have many people who have NHL experience in several positions. Vegas will not turn into a Phoenix basement
dweller. This series already has had plenty of action!
LV may have an interesting arc.
decent current group (completely overachieving this year, but proving that complete buy-in can be huge)
expect reversion next year.

a lot of draft picks that will add assets in 4-5 years, but pretty much zero prospects between the two
that will be interesting to see play out.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like for 40 years they always ran into the hot goalie this time of year. First it was Billy Smith, later Lundqvist, MAF or whomever they always got us. I always wondered why we couldn't ever be the team with the hot goalie. Maybe it's our time.

You had Al Jensen. Just not the supporting cast to get over the top :D

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain to me the advantage the home team gets with regard to line match ups? How exactly does that work? It's about the only rule that I am unclear about.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain to me the advantage the home team gets with regard to line match ups? How exactly does that work? It's about the only rule that I am unclear about.

At every whistle, the home team has "last change". So when the away team puts their line out, the home team can then sub their guys and the away team doesn't get to change again.

During play, anyone can sub at any time, it;s just during stoppages that the home team can sub after the away team.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At every whistle, the home team has "last change". So when the away team puts their line out, the home team can then sub their guys and the away team doesn't get to change again.

During play, anyone can sub at any time, it;s just during stoppages that the home team can sub after the away team.

That's what I thought, thanks. But I thought a team that commits icing to relieve pressure is unable to get new troupes, is that wrong?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought, thanks. But I thought a team that commits icing to relieve pressure is unable to get new troupes, is that wrong?

You are correct. If you ice the puck, you cannot change anyone that was on the ice.

AFAIK that is the only restriction on changing players (besides the last change rule you and @forty_three have already covered.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct. If you ice the puck, you cannot change anyone that was on the ice.

AFAIK that is the only restriction on changing players (besides the last change rule you and @forty_three have already covered.
Just 1 minor caveot if a player gets injured during a icing, that player can come off.