• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Finals: Washington Capitals vs. Las Vegas Golden Knights

tsawchuk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Math checks out...
4093950406_8cb48d5493_o.jpg
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vacuum, no it isn't suspendable. But he's been suspended three other times for dirty/late hits since July and you can argue he made two others this playoffs that should have at least gotten review. His reputation has riled a lot of people up.

And yet he hasn't learned to play by the rules :noidea:

I mean it's like a broken record. Another Caps game, another Wilson cheap shot.:nono:

Perspective on this...

Caps in 2009-2011 were often called soft. There's an argument they are the toughest team in the 2018 playoffs with Wilson, Ovechkin, Orpik, DSP, Carlson, and others providing big hits. It must be intimidating, frustrating, and tiring to play against it. It may be one reason we've been behind earlier in series but have come through with series' wins. We are partly wearing teams out. So while I think Wilson needs to tiptoe more on the good side of the line... isn't the lesson here partly if you play on edge, you're more likely to succeed in the playoffs?

I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to take from this.

So I don't want Wilson to hurt anyone, and while I think his hits lie somewhere between reckless OV and the truly hated like Steve Downie or Brad Marchand, he is helping this team in more ways than one.

The lesson is you should play on the edge if you want to get suspended, but you should if you want to succeed as well.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vacuum, no it isn't suspendable. But he's been suspended three other times for dirty/late hits since July and you can argue he made two others this playoffs that should have at least gotten review. His reputation has riled a lot of people up.

It was a charge, blind side and late. All things the league claims to be wanting to stop. He should have at least got a talking to. But then again, Pronger got maybe 1/10th the "talkings to" he deserved, so... Marc Savard had a lot to say about it on TSN. It's the kind of hit that cost him a career.

As for the 4 on 4, it came about because Perron changed (bad change - he was the 6th on and no one was anywhere near coming off) and OV ran him over (questionable as to the timing of the whistle there too). He retaliated against OV with a crosscheck.

Honestly, that SHOULD have been a 4 on 3 for Caps or at least a reg PP. Perron was too many men AND a post whistle crosscheck. But all 8 sets of official eyes were on Wilson and Marchy, so no one caught the too many men. And they only called the crosscheck later. I don't think any refs or linesmen saw it. Not a stellar few minutes for the guys in stripes.

Of course there are some people frothing at the mouth that Perron should be suspended 10 games (no tolerance rule) for leaving the bench to join a scrum, which he did not do. He came off the bench, went after a puck, got hit from behind and retaliated as play was being blown dead. He did not come off the bench with any intention at all to engage anyone.

Oh I totally get that history does, and should, play a part. But this was not a shot to the head, it was a clean hit that was a half a second late. Let's not get carried away here, it was a 2 minute penalty and nothing more regardless of who delivered it.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naaaaah. Caps have had their share of injuries these playoffs as well.

Due to cheap shots and head hunting from the opposing team?:noidea:

You said the old Caps teams were labeled soft and this years team is different. There is a difference between being tough and being a dirty player. Wilson is on Vontez Burfict levels with his play.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said the old Caps teams were labeled soft and this years team is different. There is a difference between being tough and being a dirty player. Wilson is on Vontez Burfict levels with his play.

Yes, there is. But it's not a bright line either. And it changes over time. And the league does a poor job defining it to boot. So the difference... is blurry. Zero tolerance policies for certain type of hits and contact would make all that line a lot more clear and the game much safer.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to cheap shots and head hunting from the opposing team?:noidea:

Some relevant stats, courtesy of hockeydb.com

Tom Wilson 6' 4" 218 pounds
Jonathan Marchessault: 5' 9" 174 pounds

Penalty? Yes. Suspendable? No. Douchemove? Absolutely.

Just before this incident, Ovi hit Perron in an equally egregious fashion. Perron retaliated (likely earning him the even up penalty). But I wont call out Ovi for being a douche because he at least went after someone in his weight class.

A late hit on a featherweight earns Wilson the contempt. And I suspect @elocomotive might even agree (?)

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick comment on TJ Oshie. I am gaining a new appreciation for him during this year's playoffs. Nice balance of scoring skill and sandpaper. Goes into the greasy areas. Would love to have him on my team, but, then I looked at his contract. Nevermind. Gotta give him props though for his performance. :thumb:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and one prediction.

Ryan Reaves will not score another goal before October. And that is being optimistic.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there is. But it's not a bright line either. And it changes over time. And the league does a poor job defining it to boot. So the difference... is blurry. Zero tolerance policies for certain type of hits and contact would make all that line a lot more clear and the game much safer.

You would think that Wilson is getting close to knowing where that line is due to the penalties and suspensions he has received in this post season and the course of his career:noidea:

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some relevant stats, courtesy of hockeydb.com

Tom Wilson 6' 4" 218 pounds
Jonathan Marchessault: 5' 9" 174 pounds

Penalty? Yes. Suspendable? No. Douchemove? Absolutely.

Just before this incident, Ovi hit Perron in an equally egregious fashion. Perron retaliated (likely earning him the even up penalty). But I wont call out Ovi for being a douche because he at least went after someone in his weight class.

A late hit on a featherweight earns Wilson the contempt. And I suspect @elocomotive might even agree (?)

Wilson also has his own history working against him.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say this, I'd take Tom Wilson on the Flames. The Flames forward group needs the sandpaper and grit he brings to the lineup. Yeah, he needs to reign it in at times, but he also creates a lot of room for the talented forwards on the Caps to do their stuff.