• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford is NFL's Most Accurate QB Through First 2 Weeks

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per PFF, Stafford is the most accurate QB in the league through week two. He checks in at 82.4 percent when drops, intentional throw-aways and batted passes are factored out. Basically he's been getting the ball on target better than anyone else so far.

However, that only tells part of the story on this one, as his average completion is a paltry 3.9 yards per. But, many of those have been on screens where the run after the catch has been quite significant.

Read the Mlive piece here for full analysis:

Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford by the numbers: Five interesting, early-season stats | MLive.com

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting factoid from the comments on that story. Apparently this guy pays for PFF access, something I wish one of us did, but I refuse to pay for stuffs like that:

PFF regarding Larry Warford's performance thus far:

3. Larry Warford, RG, Lions: +3.9

There are more hyped guards out there, but none has stood out like Warford. The third-round pick is yet to give up anything in pass protection and has earned himself a positive grade in the run game. Looks like a big get for the Lions.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10.4% drop rate for the Lions receivers. Bell has 3, and a whole bunch of Lions have 1. Only Eric Decker has more drops then Bell with 4.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highest drop rate in the league, same as last season.

Just supports my theory that NFL coaches are too "busy" to bother with teaching fundamentals...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per PFF, Stafford is the most accurate QB in the league through week two. He checks in at 82.4 percent when drops, intentional throw-aways and batted passes are factored out. Basically he's been getting the ball on target better than anyone else so far.

However, that only tells part of the story on this one, as his average completion is a paltry 3.9 yards per. But, many of those have been on screens where the run after the catch has been quite significant.

Read the Mlive piece here for full analysis:

Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford by the numbers: Five interesting, early-season stats | MLive.com

Did Nate's 2 yard catch on 4th and 4 help?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just supports my theory that NFL coaches are too "busy" to bother with teaching fundamentals...

Fundafuckingmentals... you are a professional ball player. That is what got them to this level. David Wilson sleeping all week and carrying a football all week has no teaching involved. It is Tom telling him to remember the fundamentals he had been taught as fricking kid.
Drops and fumbles are not a coaching problem. NEXT MAN UP...Fauria anyone???

Okay done with my rant. IMO Ansah is being taught techniques and moves not fundamentals. Players need to execute what they are taught from coaches, which IMO is all scheme related. Richard Sherman is a elite cover corner and form tackler. Thanks to his pee wee and high school coaches, not Seahawk coaches.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree Gandy.

Talent is what has gotten a lot of these players to the NFL. Many have been so much more talented than their competition at every level they've been at that they never learned proper fundamentals.

Now that they're in the NFL and everyone else is just as talented as them the lack of fundamentals is killing some guys. Like Pettigrew, for example...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drop are subjective IMO.

Unless of coarse it's Pettigrew then it's intentional grounding!

Stafford is not the problem. Having some quality #2 and 3 receivers would help. Nate is ok but he is getting to be a possession type receiver and Detroit desperately needs a TY Hilton type.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree Gandy.

Talent is what has gotten a lot of these players to the NFL. Many have been so much more talented than their competition at every level they've been at that they never learned proper fundamentals.

Now that they're in the NFL and everyone else is just as talented as them the lack of fundamentals is killing some guys. Like Pettigrew, for example...

I get what you saying. High school he had pro throwing to him, albeit he sucks, but none the less. (Matt Flynn) He had drops in college. Pass happy Gundy offense he was a great blocker and still is. Not looking up his stats again. I remember from us drafting him he was middle of the road reciever and solid blocker.( big red zone threat) He still is that. Lions I feel tried to make him something he is not. A recieving threat. Lions got the same kid he was in college.

Just to add to what I am trying to say.
Urban Meyer never worked on Tebow's flawed mechanics for three years at Florida. His job is to win Natty's. Hence this is why he is out of football.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, regardless of ypr, Stafford has definitely looked better than he did in preseason. Good to see.

As for drops - 10 in the first 2 games. On pace for 80. Just ridiculous.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now that they're in the NFL and everyone else is just as talented as them the lack of fundamentals is killing some guys.

Fundamentals IMO are basics. Throw, tackle, catch, block... Being able to take techniques taught as a kid like swim or spin moves, how to pull and trap block. These things separate players. A linebacker in college who was a 2 down backer is usually same in pros. Being able to cover is not a fundamental and can not be taught at this level. These are the things Lions try and do IMO. Make kids what they are not. IMO until LIons take the mental approach of hurting feelings, and benching guys for dumb ass mistakes it will stay status quo. Like let Pettigrew be a blocker and see if Fauria can be recieving TE. Not saying it will work. I just think we will never see that happen with this staff.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because the leader of this staff is too proud to ever consider that his way isn't working perfectly. I'm sure in Schwartz's mind it's an issue of the players not doing what he wants them to, rather than him not coaching them well enough...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if they spend time coaching fundamentals when shoelaces come untied? CATCH THE FUCKING BALL!!!!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What is up with all this negativity??? You are such a Debbie Downer:whistle:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pad level guys, pad level.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because the leader of this staff is too proud to ever consider that his way isn't working perfectly. I'm sure in Schwartz's mind it's an issue of the players not doing what he wants them to, rather than him not coaching them well enough...

Yea I can hear that conversation at practice. " Brandon, put your hands out and catch the fricking ball" Brandon says " coach it is your fault I can not catch right now. Can you teach me the fundamentals of catching my fourth year as a pro?"

Penalties yes on Jim...catching a ball is on Butterfingers!!!!!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, regardless of ypr, Stafford has definitely looked better than he did in preseason. Good to see.

This was a huge surprise for me. I watched Staff in preseason very carefully and he was more than just a little off. He was so bad that he could not hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Hopefully, he keeps it up. I like the short passing game. No chance of a turnover unless the WR does not hold on to the ball because there is not enough reaction time for defenders to make a play in the ball. I think many people overlook that benefit.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrew's issue is that he turns his head upfield before securing the football. That's basic, pee-wee fundamentals. Look the ball in through your hands, turn when it's safely secured.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, double wrap it before you tap it.