• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Updates

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense wasn't going to be much of a problem as the system Wilcox ran is the same his mentors at BSU ran and brought over here. The big issue there will be that very young secondary vs the pass happy PAC.

The offense will have more work to do as the there will be plenty of subtle changes with it being a hybrid of the Sark pro-style mixed with more Petersen spread looks. Plus a new starting QB for 2014.

Exciting times for the Huskies. Can't wait to see what the final product will look like and I'll be at that first game in Hawaii this Aug so very cool to be able to see the new era kick off in person.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tone of the Petersen era has already been established. In a word, accountability. Said senior lineman Ben Riva: “There’s definitely a lot more accountability. If you mess up you’re going to hear about it, you’re going to know about it and you’re going to pay for it. You’re definitely held to a much higher standard.”

I know they all keep saying it, but it's still music to my ears.

They are having the last practice of the first half of spring before they take a break. There was talk they might run a scrimmage today. It is a no media practice so no coverage or interviews after.

Petersen said around 200 highschool coaches are coming in today for a clinic so it's going to be a busy day for him.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they all keep saying it, but it's still music to my ears. .

More like we rolled into Vegas with reservations for a basic room only to find out there upgrading us to a "high roller" suite for freeeeeee!

I know we were all down when Sark bolted but god damn we sure did end up with the best thing on our end of this....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good update from Tacoma New Tribune on the spring practice. Looking more likely Shaq could end up involved in running plays on offense this season as well.

It was brisk but dry at Husky Stadium tonight, as the Washington football team completed its 11th practice of the spring — in full pads — outside under the lights.

And it was again junior linebacker Shaq Thompson who shone brightest, pulling on a purple offensive jersey — Dwayne Washington’s No. 12 — and ripping off a 74-yard touchdown run that looked a little easier than it should have. It wasn’t against UW’s first-team defense, but it still might have been the most impressive individual play of the spring.

Thompson had three carries total — the first was a 15-20-yard run, the second was his touchdown, and the third was a 10-or-so-yard carry that gained a first down for the offense.

Running backs coach Keith Bhonapha said afterward that he’s been meeting with Thompson 1-on-1 to go over some of the offense — Thompson doesn’t meet with the running backs as a group, because he’s in his own linebackers meetings — and that with Washington and Jesse Callier sidelined, UW has more opportunities to give Thompson some reps during 11-on-11 periods.

Thompson also had a “sack” of Jeff Lindquist, back when he was just a linebacker.

Some additional notes …

— Linebacker Travis Feeney turned in the day’s second-most impressive play, a 60-yard interception that he returned for a touchdown.

— Safety Brandon Beaver was in a yellow, no-contact jersey after he appeared to injure his right shoulder/arm during Tuesday’s practice. He still snagged an interception off a deflected pass from Jeff Lindquist during a 7-on-7 drill.

— As previously mentioned, neither Washington or Callier were in pads, each still limited by injury.

— Didn’t see John Ross in attendance tonight. Looked like every other non-suspended or non-injured player was there.

— With Beaver limited, Trevor Walker and Brian Clay were at safety during the initial 11-on-11 period early in practice.

— Running back Ryan McDaniel was in full pads, without a yellow jersey.

— Micah Hatchie and Dexter Charles still aren’t participating in practice, but they each participate in as many individual drills as they can, including a footwork drill with the rest of the offensive linemen.

— The first-team offensive line remained the same — Jake Eldrenkamp, Siosifa Tufunga, Mike Criste, James Atoe and Ben Riva, with Colin Tanigawa also taking some snaps at center.

— Deontae Cooper made some noise when he lowered his shoulder and ran over freshman walk-on Aaron Chapman, who needed an extra second or two to get up.

— Feeney also had a big hit on Josh Perkins, though Perkins held onto the pass.

— Hau’oli Kikaha had a pretty strong practice in terms of getting to the quarterback, as he forced a couple of hurried throws.

— Troy Williams threw a touchdown pass to Derrick Brown on the final play of the 11-on-11 period. He’d thrown a touchdown pass to Brown two snaps prior that was called back due to a holding penalty.

— Kasen Williams ran some routes before practice today and played a little catch on the sidelines, moving around pretty well again and looking like he’s progressing fine.

— Budda Baker and Shane Bowman, UW signees who were teammates at Bellevue High, were in attendance and watched from the sidelines.

Shaq Thompson steals the show at UW?s 11th spring practice | UW Huskies Insider - The News Tribune

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several outlets were reporting about Thompson and his rushing. I don't know if he is another Miles Jack or not, but I think it's a given he will see some reps in real game situations. I just wonder if they will save them up for conference play or if we will see at least a few reps in the OOC schedule.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring game tomorrow (Saturday 4/19/14) at 1pm on the Pac12 network.

Well, not so much of a game as an open practice? UW has lots of injuries and are thin on the O line, few key RB's, super thin in the secondary. All makes it so a formal game is out of the question.

According to the new OC they have only installed about 50% of their schemes so far. And of course these spring things are kind of plain vanilla anyway so they don't give up too much info to future opponents.

Still, plenty to watch for. How is Cooper going to look on his cuts? Ross and Thompson have both been playing 3 ways recently: Offense, defense , and both have lined up side by side for kick offs. Neuheisel said after watching Ross play corner that he might be the best corner in the conference. Will we get a sneak peak at him playing defense tomorrow? Of course everyone wants to see Thompson running the ball. And how much will we see of both young QB's. I think we all know Miles will be running the offense next year, but one of those kids is likely going to open the season as Miles will likely be sitting out at least a game or two.

It won't tell us much, but it's all we have until the end of July.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good wrap up of the final spring practice day. Some interesting info as well.

Lindquist’s 4 TDs End UW's Inconclusive Spring - University of Washington Official Athletics Site - GOHUSKIES.COM

Chris Petersen said after his first set of spring practices as Washington’s coach ended that his decision on who will replace graduated record setter Keith Price this fall may not come until immediately before – if not through – the opening game Aug. 30 at Hawai’i.

Petersen reiterated that by the time the coaches are allowed to get back on the field with the players again, at the start of August for fall camp, he will have made a determination on if and when quarterback Cyler Miles will rejoin the team.

And here's some very interesting news. At least Woodward is under the impression that neither Stringfellow or Miles will be released from UW.

Washington Director of Athletics said on Seattle's KJR 950 AM from Husky Stadium that both Miles and wide receiver Damore'ea Stringfellow -- who this week in King County district court pleaded guilty to assault and third-degree malicious mischief -- are still going through the UW campus system for discipline of students. Woodward said he expects both Miles and Stringfellow to return to the team this fall and be better for their experience.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple things I got from watching the practice was:

Ross and Mickens really looked good. I expect them to be a big part of the passing attack this year.

The conversion of Darrell Daniels from WR to a pass catching TE could really pay off.

The Dline starters looked great. Kikaha was attacking all game long. He could be looking at a monster season with double digit sack total again. He could be one of the best defensive players in the PAC this year.

Van Winkle looked like he has improved his FG kicking. Looked much more confident out there.