• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Updates

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week until the opening of spring practices. I'm sure the suspensions of dip shit and dumb ass will dominate the media questions. Petersen likes closed sessions so it's hard to say what kind of coverage we will get during any of it.

He did say today that 5 kids will be out with injuries and the overall lack of depth means they will run a spring practice instead of an actual spring game on April 19th.

Chris Petersen opposes proposed rule to allow defensive substitutions | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wide receiver DiAndre Campbell and defensive lineman Andrew Hudson will return to the Washington football team for spring workouts this week, after it was announced at the end of last season that both were leaving the program with eligibility remaining.

Campbell and Hudson have been taking part in the team’s winter conditioning program. If all goes well this spring, they could earn a spot on the roster to play their senior season in 2014.

Fullback Psalm Wooching has been switched to defensive end as it appears UW is phasing out the fullback position.

Petersen: No update on indefinite suspensions of Cyler Miles, Damore’ea Stringfellow

Shaq Thompson, Washington’s standout outside linebacker, will have a shot to play two ways for the Huskies this spring.

Yes, Shaq’s back in the backfield.

New Washington coach Chris Petersen on Monday introduced the idea of using Thompson as a running back this spring as the Huskies try to replace All-American Bishop Sankey. UCLA used linebacker Myles Jack, the former Bellevue High School star, in similar roles last season, with Jack being named the Pac-12′s Offensive and Defensive Freshman of the Year.

First, a few quick injury updates from Chris Petersen‘s press conference Monday afternoon:

Senior WR Kasen Williams (broken leg), junior LG Dexter Charles (shoulder) and sophomore walk-on WR Taelon Parson will miss all of spring ball. Petersen said Williams should be “full-speed, rocking and rolling” by this summer.
Senior LT Micah Hatchie, junior LB/DE Cory Littleton, sophomore S Kevin King, junior LB Scott Lawyer and sophomore RB Ryan McDaniel will all be “really limited” this spring.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling it will be Washington starting in the backfield at RB start of the season, the major, major concern is that secondary, alot of incoming talent in this recruiting class, I just hope there ready for this level of talent there gonna go up against......

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to the spring practice schedule. It's Tuesday Thursday and Saturdays for next two weeks, two weeks off, then two more weeks of practices on those same days.

Closed to most of the media, but hopefully Greg Bell will be able to provide some info and picks of how things go.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW linebacker John Timu suspended for two weeks | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times
Washington senior middle linebacker John Timu, a two-year captain, has been suspended for the first two weeks of spring practices, UW coach Chris Petersen announced after Tuesday’s first spring practice.

:L

Huskies ?all buying in' to new details at first practice of Chris Petersen era | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times
Brief video and a break down of the early part of practice. The media is allowed to film/watch/take pictures of the first 20 minutes much like under Sark and the rest is closed. They basically did position drills during this time. Both QB's were rusty as would be expected.

Videos: UW's Jonathan Smith, Mike Criste, Jaydon Mickens, DiAndre Campbell, John Ross | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times
Few interviews after today's practice.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the kids in their video interview after practice said the major difference between this staff and the last is their intense focus on even the small details of fundamentals. They are all upbeat about it, but did notice a substantial difference in this first practice.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the kids in their video interview after practice said the major difference between this staff and the last is their intense focus on even the small details of fundamentals. They are all upbeat about it, but did notice a substantial difference in this first practice.

Culture shock is now in full effect, the kids should've realized when there starting QB was kicked to the curb from his stupid stunts, these boys better wake up and smell the coffee, or there arses will be playing at Central....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culture shock is now in full effect, the kids should've realized when there starting QB was kicked to the curb from his stupid stunts, these boys better wake up and smell the coffee, or there arses will be playing at Central....

If you are talking about Timu, it seems that incident happened some time ago and was just now adjudicated. Two weeks for stealing parking passes and selling them to other teammates for money seems rather light, but we have no idea what else coach has in store for him. I'd have his ass running the stairs of the stadium each day he is not with the team, but that's me.

As for the first day of practice, it seemed like all of the kids they interviewed were upbeat and excited to be out there. Didn't seem like much of a shock. Of course the first day is mainly drills and they said the coaches were more or less trying to install the language and their fundamentals and that makes sense. What they all commented on was how much more this staff concentrates on even the more 'minor' details of those fundamentals. They are going to keep at them until they have those down no doubt.

What I take from that is how Sark's staff doesn't key on those and boy did that show on the field. You expect these kids to tackle, run routes, and otherwise excel as this level and we didn't see a lot of that. Natural talent and big plays only take you so far. What makes the Seahawks so good is that same extreme attention to detail and it's fucking awesome to see Petersen and his staff starting at that point.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to hear their attacking the fundementals. Gonna be a mission to get the dumb penalties down from last year going forward. Penalties that add up to cost you games. Really glad to hear about this. We knew this was going to be the deal, but music to any Dawgs ear.

It's a new era. Love it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen puts on purple for first Huskies practice » Kitsap Sun

Drills were meticulous with repetition of the smallest details. Getting the fundamentals down correctly is the focus this spring. Worrying about how it all fits into offensive and defensive schemes comes later.

“The general feel I got was a lot more focused on the tiny, tiny, tiny details instead of the big picture and focus on us individually and not just the whole big scheme,” center Mike Criste said. “I like it a lot. It’s interesting to see the difference in the coaching and I think it’s going to help us a lot in this next coming season.”

Petersen said that focus is by design so that when the opener comes on Aug. 30 at Hawaii, there isn’t confusion about what’s expected.

“We’ve got to teach the schemes, but we’ve got to get them fundamentally great and keep building on the schemes and make sure they know exactly what they’re doing assignment-wise, and it’s a work in progress,” Petersen said.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice start of spring practice article by Greg Bell.

Unleashed: Petersen’s Immediate Message: “All Business”

From his standards off the field to the meticulous way he practices the Huskies on fundamentals to him frowning on French fries, new coach Chris Petersen is installing what he calls “a new culture” to UW football. The players are absolutely receiving the message.

Unleashed: Petersen’s Immediate Message: “All Business” - University of Washington Official Athletics Site - GOHUSKIES.COM

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to hear their attacking the fundementals. Gonna be a mission to get the dumb penalties down from last year going forward
. Penalties that add up to cost you games. Really glad to hear about this. We knew this was going to be the deal, but music to any Dawgs ear.

It's a new era. Love it.

Getting those penalties down will be easy, You run it out of them. Everytime they go over the limit you run spirnts, (full gear) it will either curb it over we get a new track team dressed in football gear...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice start of spring practice article by Greg Bell.

Unleashed: Petersen’s Immediate Message: “All Business”

From his standards off the field to the meticulous way he practices the Huskies on fundamentals to him frowning on French fries, new coach Chris Petersen is installing what he calls “a new culture” to UW football. The players are absolutely receiving the message.

Unleashed: Petersen’s Immediate Message: “All Business” - University of Washington Official Athletics Site - GOHUSKIES.COM

That's a good read.....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington and Big10's Rutgers have booked a set of home and away games for 2016/2017. The schools have never played each other.

@ UW 2016, Sept 3rd
@ Rutgers 2017, Sept 2nd

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After today's practice Jude was able to talk to TE coach Paopao and when asked about the differences from last year to this and what they are doing he said they are going to combine the uptempo offense from last year with the creativity that Boise was known for. Not exactly a shock, but noteworthy none the less. I think we all expected to see more uptempo HUNH but this is the first I've seen it mentioned directly.

They did some 11 on 11 and 7 on 7 drills as well as their first red zone practice. I see mixed things about how it went. The defense is ahead of the offense right now and both QB's struggled in the red zone drills early on. It was said they both picked it up before it was over. Still, the defense has been getting a lot of turnovers from them. I mean obviously it is way too early to judge where they are at.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After today's practice Jude was able to talk to TE coach Paopao and when asked about the differences from last year to this and what they are doing he said they are going to combine the uptempo offense from last year with the creativity that Boise was known for. Not exactly a shock, but noteworthy none the less. I think we all expected to see more uptempo HUNH but this is the first I've seen it mentioned directly.

They did some 11 on 11 and 7 on 7 drills as well as their first red zone practice. I see mixed things about how it went. The defense is ahead of the offense right now and both QB's struggled in the red zone drills early on. It was said they both picked it up before it was over. Still, the defense has been getting a lot of turnovers from them. I mean obviously it is way too early to judge where they are at.

Not a shock, I mean your installing a new offense, defense has fresh legs and jumping at the chance to smack someone or anyone, fall camp opens lets hope the offense is feeling more comfortable with this playbook...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a shock, I mean your installing a new offense, defense has fresh legs and jumping at the chance to smack someone or anyone, fall camp opens lets hope the offense is feeling more comfortable with this playbook...

I've heard Mickens has had his troubles bringing in catches, but outside of that I'm not worried about any of the offense outside of the QB position. It is their issues that have me slightly worried. We still don't know Miles status and neither of the other two are looking very ready to take this program on.

On another note, the NCAA came out today and said Cooper has two years of eligibility left. So he can play for two more full seasons if he doesn't blow out yet another knee or tendon.