• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just listened to JT snow's interview with Byrnesie last night and I've revised my thinking on the final roster:

CF Pagan
LF Melky
3B Panda
C Posey
1B Huff
2B Franchez
RF Nate
SS Stamos

Bench: Stewey (C), Pill (1B/OF), Fonty (2B/SS), Riot (SS/3B), Blanco (OF)

SP: Timmy, Cain, Bum, Song, Zeets
RP: Beard, Romosexual, Hamburgler, Casilla, LOOGY, Billy Weed, PadreClay

I think Belt ends up in Fresno, and Huff plays well enough to keep him there most of the season.

Burriss has a shot to make it if Freddy continues to have vaginal bleeding. Chez3 will go down to Fresno to work with Decker on his defense. Interestingly, that would put ToJo at Richmond, and Susac at Augusta but in San Jose by midseason.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengie has 2 skinny brothers? Benji and Benjie? :rapture:

Hahahaha. I just glossed over him using my misplaced "j." I guess I don't need to express my opinions about Mr. Molina, or his extended family of puppies and skinny people. My opinion has been revealed in my lack of accuracy. Freud is stoked. :burt:

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
By the way, I find it pretty funny that no one really noticed/cared that Benji retired on Sunday. Some great moments. Some pretty awful ones, too. That might be the same for Pat the Bat, but it's amazing how far a little personality (and a well-deserved ring, rather than Molina's slightly-deserved jewelry) goes toward a player's impact on a fan base.

EDIT: It probably has a lot to do with the circumstances surrounding their departures, too. Though, even if Pat's foot was okay, do you think anyone would've picked him up? His DH experiment didn't work out too well. I guess we'll never know.

Former Giant Molina surprised, honored by retirement bash

He did a nice job of keeping the seat behind the plate warm for Buster.
On a side note, besides Lonnie Smith, I can not think of another player in the modern era that was on both World Series teams. He has got the winning and losing ring on both hands.

:charlie:

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just listened to JT snow's interview with Byrnesie last night and I've revised my thinking on the final roster:

CF Pagan
LF Melky
3B Panda
C Posey
1B Huff
2B Franchez
RF Nate
SS Stamos

I think Belt ends up in Fresno, and Huff plays well enough to keep him there most of the season.

Burriss has a shot to make it if Freddy continues to have vaginal bleeding. Chez3 will go down to Fresno to work with Decker on his defense. Interestingly, that would put ToJo at Richmond, and Susac at Augusta but in San Jose by midseason.

Interesting. Pill and Blanco over Belt? Am I missing something? Is this purely to get him more ABs? Is that even helpful in Fresno, at this point in his career?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CF Pagan
LF Melky
3B Panda
C Posey
1B Huff
2B Franchez
RF Nate
SS Stamos

I'm assuming Blanco because of the lack of a true 4th OF. I believe the versatility of guys like Cabrera, Pagan, Nate, Huff, Pill and Belt make up for not having a true extra OF. Pagan and Cabrera can play all OF spots, and Nate can play RF and LF (and CF, but he has not done so yet in MLB). Huff, Pill and Belt can fill in at the corners and 1st. Blanco is fast, but Theriot gives good speed off the bench. I see no need, I'd rather have Belt.

I do think Chez2/3 goes to AAA, Joseph to AA, but Susac will be in High A SJ, not Low-A likely. Also Decker is no longer the manager in Fresno, he's the organizational hitting instructor... Mariano To Guide Grizzlies For 2012 Season | Fresno Grizzlies News

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bengie got the free pass his first couple years here because he was the only hitter on a team full of washed up players. But once Posey was drafted and Little Money (aka Pablo) made his debut, it was the beginning of the end. Pablo became the guy on offense and Bengie's short-comings on defense became more apparent, then Posey became the Golden Child and the rest is history. The day the Giants traded Bengie is the day the Giants became World Series contenders.

Bengie sure gets a whole lotta credit for doing a whole lotta nothing, except calling countless 0-2 fastballs middle-in...

My last memory of Bengie as a player is when he threw Cliff Lee under the bus for not pitching around Renteria (and pitching to Rowand instead). Classy move Bengie - making sure everyone knew it was not your call.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm assuming Blanco because of the lack of a true 4th OF. I believe the versatility of guys like Cabrera, Pagan, Nate, Huff, Pill and Belt make up for not having a true extra OF. Pagan and Cabrera can play all OF spots, and Nate can play RF and LF (and CF, but he has not done so yet in MLB). Huff, Pill and Belt can fill in at the corners and 1st. Blanco is fast, but Theriot gives good speed off the bench. I see no need, I'd rather have Belt.

I do think Chez2/3 goes to AAA, Joseph to AA, but Susac will be in High A SJ, not Low-A likely. Also Decker is no longer the manager in Fresno, he's the organizational hitting instructor... Mariano To Guide Grizzlies For 2012 Season | Fresno Grizzlies News

If I ever met Nate/Bochy/Sabean that would be my first question. Nate's bat plays so much better in CF, there must be some really good reason he hasn't been put out there.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:spider:

I am picturing him standing next to Mr. Lowery with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face, every so often stomping his right foot.

I love that spider guy but I can never figure out a place to put him in a message.

So I'll just do this:

:spider: :spider:

:postwhore:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Pill and Blanco over Belt? Am I missing something? Is this purely to get him more ABs? Is that even helpful in Fresno, at this point in his career?

I love how this board both informs and entertains. Hilarious. (edit: I quoted the wrong post...oh well)

Assuming Posey isn't quite right to begin the season, how about this lineup...

Pagan
Franchez
Cabrera
Pablo
Posey
Huff/Pill/Belt
Nate
Stamos

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that spider guy but I can never figure out a place to put him in a message.

So I'll just do this:

:spider: :spider:

:postwhore:

LOL

I must have accdently hit the spidey-thing with my pinky. I did not put it there intentionally, but it does, oddly, fit. :)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. Dude's gotta hit every day, and they seem set on Pagan, Melky, and Nate starting. BTW, that is going to be one FAST muthafukin OF. IIRC, Blanco has wheels too. The fifth OF would be Huffer.

Of course, injuries will change everything.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I heard an interview with Decker and knew that, but he seemed to indicate that he'd still be spending some time with the catchers on defense, notably Chez3. I asked Pavlovic about Susac (I know, hard to believe) and he said SJ would be too high for him to start out.

I'll be in Scottsdale next Thursday, and I'm going to try to chat with both Pavlovic and Baggs. I'll report what I see and hear.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how this board both informs and entertains. Hilarious. (edit: I quoted the wrong post...oh well)

Assuming Posey isn't quite right to begin the season, how about this lineup...

Pagan
Franchez
Cabrera
Pablo
Posey
Huff/Pill/Belt
Nate
Stamos

I don't think Freddy will hit that high up in the order; they seem committed to having Angel and Melky in the top two spots. Drop Freddy down to sixth, put Belt in Fresno and I think you've got it.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- As expected, Buster Posey isn't in either of the Giants' split-squad lineups on Sunday. It's still anyone's guess when their cleanup-hitting catcher will make his spring debut.

Posey said he planned to catch a few bullpens and take batting practice on Sunday. The big test remains baserunning, which he might try to do on Monday or Tuesday. Club officials are concerned about his ability to make quick cuts on his reconstructed left ankle.

Posey insisted "everything is still good" and he isn't panicking over being held back over this first week of exhibition games.

In other news, Giants manager Bruce Bochy revealed that highly regarded outfield prospect Francisco Peguero had knee surgery in the offseason and hasn't been available to play. Peguero began last season on the disabled list because of another knee procedure.

Right-hander Clay Hensley also has been held back because of a tight right hamstring. He's due to throw in the bullpen Sunday morning. And closer Brian Wilson will face hitters (in love batting practice) for the first time this spring. Check back for updates on those two.

One more note: Angel Villalona, who beat a murder charge in the Dominican Republic but hasn't been able to secure his visa, no longer has a locker in the Giants clubhouse. That's a telling sign the visa issue won't be resolved anytime soon.

Read more: Giants still not circling date for Posey's debut
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Like others have said, he needs to play everyday. Plus, why let him rack up service time on the bench?

If Huff is hitting like it's 2k10, then he should be the starting 1B no questions asked. Melky has better wheels than Belt, and Pagan is a no-brainer. Nates the only one I'm iffy on, but lets hope he channels his mid season monster that had him hitting like a true RF last year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think that Belt is in AAA next year until Huff shows otherwise. With Belt's comments on willing to play anywhere as long as he's playing everyday kinda tells me that the Giants have prepared him for this already.

Starting to think another OF makes it over him (Graham, Blanco, Christian).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think that Belt is in AAA next year until Huff shows otherwise. With Belt's comments on willing to play anywhere as long as he's playing everyday kinda tells me that the Giants have prepared him for this already.

It does seem that's the way it's headed. If Belt is ok with it so am I.

Makes sense really, Huff has this last year to rebound. If he's not producing by June he's benched, Belt is our starting 1B, plain and simple (with maybe a platoon situation with Pill).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Dude's gotta hit every day, and they seem set on Pagan, Melky, and Nate starting. BTW, that is going to be one FAST muthafukin OF. IIRC, Blanco has wheels too. The fifth OF would be Huffer.

Of course, injuries will change everything.

Like others have said, he needs to play everyday. Plus, why let him rack up service time on the bench?

If Huff is hitting like it's 2k10, then he should be the starting 1B no questions asked. Melky has better wheels than Belt, and Pagan is a no-brainer. Nates the only one I'm iffy on, but lets hope he channels his mid season monster that had him hitting like a true RF last year.

It does seem that's the way it's headed. If Belt is ok with it so am I.

Makes sense really, Huff has this last year to rebound. If he's not producing by June he's benched, Belt is our starting 1B, plain and simple (with maybe a platoon situation with Pill).

Excellent points. All. Plus, he'll be feeling like King Shit on Turd Island in Fresno. I hope he brings that swagger to The City when he gets promoted.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent points. All. Plus, he'll be feeling like King Shit on Turd Island in Fresno. I hope he brings that swagger to The City when he gets promoted.

Worst case scenario for Belt is that he's stuck down here in Fresno accumulating a TON of anchorage.