• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring practices

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well going in there has to be two positions that are the biggest questions of spring ball:

Wide Out: Is there a younger player with blazing speed and can catch like John Ross?

Corners: Can they go man to man like Jones/King were asked for blitz packages?

Of course the one big I left out that I would really like to see this season is that Oline, stronger, and able to drive block opposing d-lines five yards back....

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just not that worried about WR outside of the fact there is a new coach and we won't know how much fall off there is from Hamdan.

I am more interested in who emerges as that 50/50 ball - possession type receiver than trying to replace Ross' deep speed. If you want to take that next step forward with the offense you must find better success on 3rd downs. You need both RB's and WR's that are threats to make those first downs to keep defenses off balance.

Last spring I had wanted to see Brayden Lenius emerge as that threat, but he ended up in the dog house and became a non factor for the season.

Chico has enough speed to take the top off a defense that attempts to stack the box and that's probably enough to get that job done.

For me on offense it's mostly about that line and the health of Browning as well as who ends up being the #2 QB and how dangerous they look. I don't think we will get those answers in spring ball.

So I'm mostly interested this spring in the secondary. We can see more or less what they have in that unit over the spring. Even then, we are so fortunate to have Lake as a coach back there and I have full faith he's going to have 4 solid guys by the time they open up Pac12 play. Certainly not as solid as last year's squad, but more than serviceable is what I expect.

I really mostly want the same thing I want every spring: No season ending injuries. Give me that and I'm happy as can be.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The losses to the NFL are felt as they were important impact players. But I think were sitting real well with their replacements. Especially at CB which was loaded with depth last year.

Very interested to see Murphy out there this fall. He was a redshirt, but reports were he looked way beyond his years during practices last year. Hes not the only one too. We're loaded at CB

When you look at the talent we were able to redshirt last year, it sets up well for many to make impacts this year quickly.

It is a weird feeling because it does feel like the bar has been really set high now. I myself still want to just enjoy the feeling of being back to the top tier of the PAC, but not fall into the trap of getting drunk on success like most of that "school" to the souths fanbase did.

Do I think we can win another PAC champ with this 2017 team? Absolutely. But always plenty of work to do to get there.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The losses to the NFL are felt as they were important impact players. But I think were sitting real well with their replacements. Especially at CB which was loaded with depth last year.

Very interested to see Murphy out there this fall. He was a redshirt, but reports were he looked way beyond his years during practices last year. Hes not the only one too. We're loaded at CB

When you look at the talent we were able to redshirt last year, it sets up well for many to make impacts this year quickly.

It is a weird feeling because it does feel like the bar has been really set high now. I myself still want to just enjoy the feeling of being back to the top tier of the PAC, but not fall into the trap of getting drunk on success like most of that "school" to the souths fanbase did.

Do I think we can win another PAC champ with this 2017 team? Absolutely. But always plenty of work to do to get there.

I believe the "bar being set high" is the simple fact there is no serious threat out out of the North for the Dawgs as of yet. Stanford losses their two best players, ( do their younger guys learn from last year) Then Oregon could have a very good offense but can their defense be altered to keep them in games instead of a scoring track meet against others.