• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 week 5 discussion

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explanation for Hook'em:

oaknightshockey1

7. Michigan St (lost convincingly to Oregon)
14. Wisconsin (lost to LSU who you have in the 20's)
18. Mississippi St (beat LSU at home so look above)
20. Ole Miss (too low)

Michigan State- Went on the road against a team I have top 3 (and really, the order of my top 3 is a complete guess at this point...Oregon could have been 1) and I still think they are a good team so I did not drop them very far for the loss. If they struggle going forward, they will be moved down accordingly.

Wisconsin- I didn't drop them completely out of the rankings for their loss to LSU (which is a game they easily could have won), and they have moved up merely as a result of other teams looking worse. Another example of a team I'll keep an eye on and if they struggle, they'll move.

Mississippi teams- I'm not convinced that they're for real just yet. They will move up if they continue on the path they are on, though. I just think both of them will end the season with 3-4 losses, which based on the difficulty of their schedules, would put them just inside the top 25.

I get what you're saying with Miss St. beating LSU, who beat Wisconsin, but I'm not a big fan of the whole A beat B, and B beat C, so A is definitely better than C. I like to keep my rankings relatively fluid, and I make my rankings hoping that by the end of the season, it will be a relatively accurate assessment. At this point, there's just too much up in the air.

I don't think Mich St will struggle and it probably won't be long and they will have earned that ranking. I just like to see teams prove it after an early season loss. To me, this early, the top 10 is for undefeated teams.

a team that loss on a neutral field shouldn't be in front of an undefeated team who beat that same team at home. Not after week 5 anyway. At least IMO.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ole Miss being the top 10 of any poll is ridiculous

Their best win this season is against Memphis

And they were tested until the 4th quarter in two of their crappy wins

They might be the worst Sec west team

Memphis is getting top 25 votes so is that really a "bad" best win for this early in the season?

outlaw okie

Racer X
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was picking from Missouri, GT, ECU, USC and WVU for the 25th spot. I felt ASU was the better team.

it was a tough call, and I was leaning towards GT but went with ASU since they lost to a top 10 team without their starting QB.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Mich St will struggle and it probably won't be long and they will have earned that ranking. I just like to see teams prove it after an early season loss. To me, this early, the top 10 is for undefeated teams.

a team that loss on a neutral field shouldn't be in front of an undefeated team who beat that same team at home. Not after week 5 anyway. At least IMO.

Looking ahead to next week though, a lot of your complaints about mine will be figured out. Ole Miss plays Alabama and Miss St plays A&M so either they will move up or they will be in an appropriate place. Michigan St plays Nebraska, and I think the winner of that deserves a top ten ranking for sure. Oregon plays Arizona and Oklahoma plays TCU. There is a lot to be learned in week 6 as conference play really starts heating up.

I tend to agree with you as far as the 1 loss teams go, but if I dropped them out of the top ten, I'd have them behind Nebraska and I can only imagine how much I'd get torn apart for that. I'm just looking to see how next week plays out.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because at the moment they have maybe one team on paper that will give them a real run for their money...which is Baylor. I'm not sold on TCU yet, them having played only Minnesota as a mentionable opponent. But we will find out this week, won't we? :nod:

And they have taken care of business...they do need to do a better job of preventing big plays on D though, Baylor licks their chops seeing that.

Kansas State will beat OU :evil:

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hookem I don't know how you can question E. Carolina being in the top 25. They are absolutely legit. In fact I would say absolutely the opposite. I would say anybody who doesn't have them in there top 25 is bias against mid majors. I only did a top 10, but if I did a top 25 I would not only have them in the top 25, but in the top 20.

They have a great recieveing core, and a great QB. They hung 70 are a undefeated North Carolina team last week. They was up 21-0 in the 1st quarter against V. Tech, and should have been up 28-0. That V. tech could have easily been another massacre like N. Carolina. Yea they lost to S. Carolina, but S. Carolina also beat Georgia, and I don't see you calling out people for ranking Georgia. Also at this point E. Carolina has played a tougher schedule then a lot of P5 teams.

If anything you should be questioning why people don't have E. Carolina in there top 20.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis is getting top 25 votes so is that really a "bad" best win for this early in the season?

Memphis gave Ucla a tough time too, but Ucla had a tough time with everyone until this week

Its odd thinking of Memphis being decent, but we'll see if they really are when they play Cincinnati

Ole Miss would move into or near my top 10 with a win over Alabama

But so far there's nothing that warrants them being ranked

Same for Tcu who has a similar resume

Both teams can prove themselves this week though

I don't look at my previous ballots so its a new poll every time