• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 week 5 discussion

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to start my weekly call out. Not so much that you are dumb, but would like an explanation...

4down20

21. Memphis
23. Arkansas

TheForgetfulOne

14. Wisconsin (that high and in front of LSU?)
20. Ole Miss (Might be correct, but still much lower than most)
24. East Carolina (calling out anyone who ranks them)

nddulac

8. Oklahoma St (kind of high considering they've lost a game)
11. Arizona (king of high)
25. Arkansas

Smart

18. Ole Miss (kind of low)
24. Arizona St

oaknightshockey1

7. Michigan St (lost convincingly to Oregon)
14. Wisconsin (lost to LSU who you have in the 20's)
18. Mississippi St (beat LSU at home so look above)
20. Ole Miss (too low)

theSabanator20

2. Notre Dame (GTFO)
22. Arizona St
24. East Carolina
25. Nevada

outlaw okie

25. Arizona St

mutiger

7. Michigan St (They have not earned this ranking yet)
14. UCLA (played one of the best schedules in the country and undefeated)
15. Ohio St (GTFO)
21. East Carolina

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theSabanator20

2. Notre Dame (GTFO)
22. Arizona St
24. East Carolina
25. Nevada

Notre Dame- they look solid. They have taken care of business thus far. They will prove their worth in their next 5 games. And Golson looks like the real deal, much improved from 2012. That team didn't look like worldbeaters either...but still went 12-0 in the regular season. I like Brian Kelly and what he's got going in South Bend.

ASU- they had their backup QB, kept it close, then turnovers kicked in and destroyed them. I had them higher than most before the loss. And now they are juuuuuuuust in there still.

ECU- 2-1 vs P5 teams

Nevada- 2-1 vs P5 teams

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame- they look solid. They have taken care of business thus far. They will prove their worth in their next 5 games. And Golson looks like the real deal, much improved from 2012. That team didn't look like worldbeaters either...but still went 12-0 in the regular season. I like Brian Kelly and what he's got going in South Bend.

ASU- they had their backup QB, kept it close, then turnovers kicked in and destroyed them. I had them higher than most before the loss. And now they are juuuuuuuust in there still.

ECU- 2-1 vs P5 teams

Nevada- 2-1 vs P5 teams

Don't disagree Notre Dame has looked solid, even top 10 good, but #2???

Arizona St beat Colorado by 14 points and lost by 5 tds to UCLA. They haven't beaten anybody to override that suckage.

ECU's two p5 wins look to be over some pretty mediocre teams. Plus S. Carolina is really struggling right now. I'm not impressed enough to rank them or even have them near my rankings at the moment. I don't get ranking them and not ranking S. Carolina who has also beat Georgia.

Nevada you just might be on to something. That Washington St win looks better and better. Arizona is solid also at the moment.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn all of you who have Oklahoma as #1.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn all of you who have Oklahoma as #1.

That's because at the moment they have maybe one team on paper that will give them a real run for their money...which is Baylor. I'm not sold on TCU yet, them having played only Minnesota as a mentionable opponent. But we will find out this week, won't we? :nod:

And they have taken care of business...they do need to do a better job of preventing big plays on D though, Baylor licks their chops seeing that.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next week when Bama travels to Oxford will tell us quite a bit.

Thinking seriously about going to Game Day to wave a UNA flag. Don't like crowds though, so might now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because at the moment they have maybe one team on paper that will give them a real run for their money...which is Baylor. I'm not sold on TCU yet, them having played only Minnesota as a mentionable opponent. But we will find out this week, won't we? :nod:

And they have taken care of business...they do need to do a better job of preventing big plays on D though, Baylor licks their chops seeing that.

That game will be an interesting battle to see whether Oklahoma can get to Petty before Baylor's receivers can get open.

Not sure what you mean about Oklahoma's D having a tendency to give up big plays. Yes they did too much against WVU and once against Tennessee but that's been it. Our best corner, who had an interception in his last 7 games (I think) was playing hurt too. I agree we need to be a little better, but I gotta give Trickett credit. He threw some indefensible passes. Sometimes you just gotta tip your hat. Their tendency to create turnovers cannot go unmentioned either.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next week when Bama travels to Oxford will tell us quite a bit.

Thinking seriously about going to Game Day to wave a UNA flag. Don't like crowds though, so might now.

No it won't. Ole Miss sucks donkey dick.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have LSU one spot over us, but it's not exactly hard to justify us over them. We were up 24-7 before Melvin Gordon left the game with a minor hip injury. At the time, he had 140 yards in 32 minutes. In 2.5 healthy games so far this year, he has 574 (!) yards on 60 carries. And our defense was dominating their offense before the best 2/3 of our defensive line went down to injury. We have no depth at D-Line and only carried six on the roster. Between that and the fact that LSU lost at home, it's pretty easy to think we deserve to be ranked higher.

I don't get the Ole Miss love. They were tested for three quarters against Boise, who now looks terrible. And Arizona State easily outgained top ten UCLA. Like Sabanator said, they lost because of turnovers, which one can partially blame on their backup QB.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have LSU one spot over us, but it's not exactly hard to justify us over them. We were up 24-7 before Melvin Gordon left the game with a minor hip injury. At the time, he had 140 yards in 32 minutes. In 2.5 healthy games so far this year, he has 574 (!) yards on 60 carries. And our defense was dominating their offense before the best 2/3 of our defensive line went down to injury. We have no depth at D-Line and only carried six on the roster. Between that and the fact that LSU lost at home, it's pretty easy to think we deserve to be ranked higher.

I don't get the Ole Miss love. They were tested for three quarters against Boise, who now looks terrible. And Arizona State easily outgained top ten UCLA. Like Sabanator said, they lost because of turnovers, which one can partially blame on their backup QB.

You lost. Get over it. LSU sucks, but a Wisky sucks worse.

KnightAndDay

Separate or shoot to kill
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,129.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to start my weekly call out. Not so much that you are dumb, but would like an explanation...

TheForgetfulOne

14. Wisconsin (that high and in front of LSU?)
20. Ole Miss (Might be correct, but still much lower than most)
24. East Carolina (calling out anyone who ranks them)

Wisconsin being that high isn't really an indictment on how good they are, really more on no one else deserving that spot and I certainly wasn't putting LSU there after the inconsistency they've showed the past few weeks, especially at QB

Ole Miss hasn't shown me any reason why they deserve to be higher than where I have them; Sub-par QB play, special teams inconsistency etc.

East Carolina has arquably the most underrated QB in CFB and I think they could hang with almost any team in the country.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explanation for Hook'em:

oaknightshockey1

7. Michigan St (lost convincingly to Oregon)
14. Wisconsin (lost to LSU who you have in the 20's)
18. Mississippi St (beat LSU at home so look above)
20. Ole Miss (too low)

Michigan State- Went on the road against a team I have top 3 (and really, the order of my top 3 is a complete guess at this point...Oregon could have been 1) and I still think they are a good team so I did not drop them very far for the loss. If they struggle going forward, they will be moved down accordingly.

Wisconsin- I didn't drop them completely out of the rankings for their loss to LSU (which is a game they easily could have won), and they have moved up merely as a result of other teams looking worse. Another example of a team I'll keep an eye on and if they struggle, they'll move.

Mississippi teams- I'm not convinced that they're for real just yet. They will move up if they continue on the path they are on, though. I just think both of them will end the season with 3-4 losses, which based on the difficulty of their schedules, would put them just inside the top 25.

I get what you're saying with Miss St. beating LSU, who beat Wisconsin, but I'm not a big fan of the whole A beat B, and B beat C, so A is definitely better than C. I like to keep my rankings relatively fluid, and I make my rankings hoping that by the end of the season, it will be a relatively accurate assessment. At this point, there's just too much up in the air.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AMEN!

Our only balance against that is the amount of turnovers we can create. I firmly believe that the defense is our best unit and if they keep doing what they do we might just end up in the playoff. Our best CB has a bum wing right now so the safeties are gonna have to have his back.

TCU will not be easy. They're balanced offensively and have one of the best FBS defenses so far.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ole Miss being the top 10 of any poll is ridiculous

Their best win this season is against Memphis

And they were tested until the 4th quarter in two of their crappy wins

They might be the worst Sec west team

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's still a loss dude. If you've watched LSU for years now, it's typical for them to win and at the end you wonder what the hell happened.

Ole Miss I've got no argument for other than I think they have a good team but they haven't proven it yet so whatever.

Arizona St lost by 5 td's. That is a straight ass kicking and they don't decide wins and losses by yardage.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin being that high isn't really an indictment on how good they are, really more on no one else deserving that spot and I certainly wasn't putting LSU there after the inconsistency they've showed the past few weeks, especially at QB

Ole Miss hasn't shown me any reason why they deserve to be higher than where I have them; Sub-par QB play, special teams inconsistency etc.

East Carolina has arquably the most underrated QB in CFB and I think they could hang with almost any team in the country.

This early in the season I just don't see how you jump teams with the same record and a head to head win. There isn't enough additional data to justify it.

Ole Miss see prior post.

It's still East Carolina and they still lost to an unranked South Carolina team with zero wins over ranked teams. I just don't understand buying in when they've let us down so many times before after an upset win early in the season. I guess I'm bitter from the past.