• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sponsor dumps Brandon Marshall

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen those. I've seen lots of top colleges, actual police force studies and such showing the opposite to be true. Just about every major metropolitan area has done these studies and come out with pretty strong support that blacks are targeted more in being stopped.

I think the lone one I've seen was about speeding where blacks were being targeted more but sped more, but then of course the followup study showed blacks had their cars searched 4 times as often when pulled over despite whites being found with more contraband.

I think the lone one I've seen was about speeding where blacks were being targeted more but sped more, but then of course the followup study showed blacks had their cars searched 4 times as often when pulled over despite whites being found with more contraband.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's about color but more so if the car reeks of weed, car not registered, no insurance etc etc. Cops would rather just hand out a ticket and be on their way, arrests and long reports I doubt they get a jolly from

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen those. I've seen lots of top colleges, actual police force studies and such showing the opposite to be true. Just about every major metropolitan area has done these studies and come out with pretty strong support that blacks are targeted more in being stopped.

I think the lone one I've seen was about speeding where blacks were being targeted more but sped more, but then of course the followup study showed blacks had their cars searched 4 times as often when pulled over despite whites being found with more contraband.
Although I didn't specify in my post, we were talking specifically about police killing minorities, not just about targeting them for crimes. I didn't make that clear and that was my mistake.

No racial bias in police shootings, study by Harvard professor shows

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. That's one city and not about police killing minorities.

2. Just because police are more likely to use force on minorities doesn't mean it wasn't justified. This study doesn't tell us whether the use of force was justified in these instances or not.

3. This study isn't even about police.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I didn't specify in my post, we were talking specifically about police killing minorities, not just about targeting them for crimes. I didn't make that clear and that was my mistake.

No racial bias in police shootings, study by Harvard professor shows
That's a good example of how extreme actions tend to force a more measured and hesitant response: Shooting at someone

BUT, the issues presented really aren't just about police shootings - they're very good at getting headlines however. There have long been issues be it a more willing friskjob, confrontation, and overall suspicion which leads to a sense of being occupied amongst minority communities, real and/or imagined. It's why we have a bunch of complaining about the "millitarization of the police" as of late.

From the same article you cited

At the same time, the study found blacks and Hispanics were more than 50 percent more likely to experience physical interactions with police, including touching, pushing, handcuffing, drawing a weapon, and using a baton or pepper spray.

So really what we're being told here is in the context of the most extreme level of force, bias gets mooted to some degree, that makes a lot of sense knowing the consequence of being wrong.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. That's one city and not about police killing minorities.

2. Just because police are more likely to use force on minorities doesn't mean it wasn't justified. This study doesn't tell us whether the use of force was justified in these instances or not.

3. This study isn't even about police.

1. Your study came from 1 Harvard professor. Barely the end all be all.

2. Freddie gray wasn't shot. Force has often lead to death. When it's as disproportionate as seen one has to draw the conclusion it's unwarranted force.

3. If you think this movement in society is ONLY about the way police treat black people then I can see why we are at a disagreement because it would make you out to be stupid.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Your study came from 1 Harvard professor. Barely the end all be all.

2. Freddie gray wasn't shot. Force has often lead to death. When it's as disproportionate as seen one has to draw the conclusion it's unwarranted force.

3. If you think this movement in society is ONLY about the way police treat black people then I can see why we are at a disagreement because it would make you out to be stupid.
1. One Harvard professor who studied thousands of incidents across the United States. That carries more weight, especially when that professor, who is black, called it "the most surprising result of my career."

2. You don't have to draw that conclusion at all. That's an assumption with no basis in fact. By the way, 3 of the 6 officers involved in the Freddie Gray incident were black. Were they just racist against black people too?

3. Well, Kaepernick is the one who said it was about police discriminating against minorities. But if it's about more than that, I guess maybe he's not doing a very good job getting his message across.

By the way, you do an awful lot of name calling and insulting in your rebuttals. If your argument is strong there's no need to do that.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. One Harvard professor who studied thousands of incidents across the United States. That carries more weight, especially when that professor, who is black, called it "the most surprising result of my career."

2. You don't have to draw that conclusion at all. That's an assumption with no basis in fact. By the way, 3 of the 6 officers involved in the Freddie Gray incident were black. Were they just racist against black people too?

3. Well, Kaepernick is the one who said it was about police discriminating against minorities. But if it's about more than that, I guess maybe he's not doing a very good job getting his message across.

By the way, you do an awful lot of name calling and insulting in your rebuttals. If your argument is strong there's no need to do that.

This retired white cop must have been discriminating against terrorists, but thank goodness, he sure saved lot of lives

Off-duty cop hailed as hero for stopping Minn. mall stabbing suspect

Last edited:

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact you think he's done a great job by keeping this in the headlines is hilarious. it's not the somber "we need to change this and that" news, it's pissed off, "why the fuck is this scum using the flag/anthem as cover for his garbage?" type news.
To you. And you're wrong.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the followup study showed blacks had their cars searched 4 times as often when pulled over despite whites being found with more contraband.

This is funny because something like this happened to me recently (not the contraband part but the profiling part). I coach my son's baseball team and we had just finished practice and we were on our way home. It was around 9:30 pm (older kid...later practices) and a cop goes past me in the opposite direction. All of a sudden I am being pulled over.....for what I have no idea. He comes up to me asks for my license and proof of insurance. I give them to me and then he goes back to his car and I am sure then next thing he does is run my plates.

He come back and asks me if I know why I was being pulled over. I almost laugh....but instead with a straight face I say no I don't. He then tells me I was pulled over because my registration was expired. I was stunned to be honest and when I look at the sticker it was indeed expired. I completely missed it....granted it was only expired a week but I completely forgot to take care of it. It pissed me off though because I know that was not the initial reason I was pulled over. 1. it was dark outside. 2. He was going the opposite direction and with my headlights on there was no we he could have actually seen the sticker. Just not possible. Anyway no big deal as far as I am concerned. In Texas all you have to do is get the vehicle registered before the court date and pay a $20 court fee. So I am out $20 dollars not the end of the world. What happened next is what pissed me off.

He is back in his car I assume writing my ticket. I did not expect him to give me a warning because it was only a week expired. Sorry in my experiences black men do not get those kind of breaks often. I have in the past so it is not unheard of but I did not expect it here for obvious reasons.

He comes back up to me and asks me if I would consent to search of my vehicle. I am furious and wanted to tell him to fuck off but I knew that would be stupid. So I remained calm. I then told him that NO I do not consent to a search of my vehicle but I will gladly stand by while to get a warrant if he really needed to search my vehicle. I do not have a problem with that. He looked at me for a moment...gave me my ticket and asked me to enjoy the rest of my evening....LOL

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny because something like this happened to me recently (not the contraband part but the profiling part). I coach my son's baseball team and we had just finished practice and we were on our way home. It was around 9:30 pm (older kid...later practices) and a cop goes past me in the opposite direction. All of a sudden I am being pulled over.....for what I have no idea. He comes up to me asks for my license and proof of insurance. I give them to me and then he goes back to his car and I am sure then next thing he does is run my plates.

He come back and asks me if I know why I was being pulled over. I almost laugh....but instead with a straight face I say no I don't. He then tells me I was pulled over because my registration was expired. I was stunned to be honest and when I look at the sticker it was indeed expired. I completely missed it....granted it was only expired a week but I completely forgot to take care of it. It pissed me off though because I know that was not the initial reason I was pulled over. 1. it was dark outside. 2. He was going the opposite direction and with my headlights on there was no we he could have actually seen the sticker. Just not possible. Anyway no big deal as far as I am concerned. In Texas all you have to do is get the vehicle registered before the court date and pay a $20 court fee. So I am out $20 dollars not the end of the world. What happened next is what pissed me off.

He is back in his car I assume writing my ticket. I did not expect him to give me a warning because it was only a week expired. Sorry in my experiences black men do not get those kind of breaks often. I have in the past so it is not unheard of but I did not expect it here for obvious reasons.

He comes back up to me and asks me if I would consent to search of my vehicle. I am furious and wanted to tell him to fuck off but I knew that would be stupid. So I remained calm. I then told him that NO I do not consent to a search of my vehicle but I will gladly stand by while to get a warrant if he really needed to search my vehicle. I do not have a problem with that. He looked at me for a moment...gave me my ticket and asked me to enjoy the rest of my evening....LOL

I was actually quoting someone and didn't box it correctly

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hahahaha - good luck with that