• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: NBA talks fewer games, in-season event.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA is formally exploring how it might use its 75th anniversary season as an opportunity to test some of its bolder initiatives -- not only a mid-season cup and postseason play-in tournament, but also a reduction in the 82-game regular season schedule.

On a June 17 conference call, a committee that consists of approximately a dozen top team executives from both basketball and business operations discussed with the league office ideas for alternatives to the traditional NBA schedule for the 2021-22 season. In what sources characterize as a wide-ranging brainstorming session with accompanying documents, participants contemplated how the NBA could introduce the aforementioned tournaments, as well as an abbreviated slate of regular-season games to accommodate the additional events.

According to those with knowledge of the conversation, which sources regard as very exploratory, the proposed reforms would be adopted initially as a pilot program. The NBA would have the chance to observe the trial run and evaluate the long-term viability of such a schedule design.

Supporters of a new mid-season cup-style tournament acknowledge the difficulty of its implementation without a corresponding reduction in the number of regular-season games. For instance, trimming games off the current 82-game schedule would have vast revenue implications for teams which have commitments to local broadcast partners and rely on revenue from attendance at live games.

The length and density of the current 82-game NBA schedule has come under some scrutiny in recent years. Superstars such as Toronto Raptors forward Kawhi Leonard routinely sit out regular-season games to preserve their bodies for the NBA's intense nine-week playoff run. But apart from issues surrounding load management, voices at both the team and league level have made an economic case for making the NBA's regular-season games more scarce and meaningful in an increasingly competitive entertainment marketplace.

These more substantive conversations about contemplating new ways to construct the NBA's seasonal schedule demonstrate momentum for reformers inside the league. Advocates for change believe that robust revenue generated from new products such as the play-in tournament and mid-season cup posed recently by commissioner Adam Silver could, over time, recoup losses that would result from a reduction in traditional regular-season games.

The number of games in a reduced regular season discussed on the conference call ranged from 58 -- ensuring every team would host each of the 29 other teams in their arenas over the course of a season -- to a marginal cut of only a handful of games. According to sources on the call, the appetite among team officials for a major reduction in the number of games was limited.

Realizing wholesale changes to the schedule in a little more than two years' time doesn't come without major complications. The NBA would need the cooperation of numerous stakeholders, from the players union to ownership groups to national and local broadcast partners, sponsors, among others.

For example, the NBA's collective bargaining agreement requires the league and its teams to "act and use their commercially reasonable efforts to increase [Basketball Related Income] for each Salary Cap Year." If players interpreted a deliberate drop in the number of games as an abdication of that effort, they could potentially have grounds to object to such reforms.

The committee was formed as an advisory group to grapple with structural issues that touch on both basketball and business operations -- matters like playoff format and the contour of the NBA schedule. The committee has no official governing authority but can make recommendations to the NBA's Board of Governors.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about they just cut enough to avoid back-back games and forget the stupid tournament. Maybe add a play-in game for the 8/9 seed?

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the reduced schedule, but I'm a tad baffled on the in-season tournament.:scratch:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a stats guy and so with some people resting more often, the totals have been impacted. Reducing the number of games could perhaps reduce the number of games that are rested, but overall the number of games played would reduce.

And there is something to me that shows that a player averaged X amount of points per game when playing most every game (most difficult) versus players who average that amount playing in fewer games and rested. Now obviously, the goal is to win the championship and so you would do that over stats, but as a fan, when I’m looking at multiple teams that I couldn’t possibly all want to win, I like having that 82 game standard there. If historically it had been 70 games, I would probably defend 70. So I’m not saying there’s anything magical with 82.

I’m also bugged that a rested team can win the championship. I think it is cool to say somebody and all the team fought through every game as best they could and won versus resting. Obviously, every team can rest so it’s an even playing field, but I’m just saying compared to other years. And no, I’m not proposing any rules against it. I’m not chastising players or teams from doing it. They have to do what is best for their body or teams. I’m just talking out loud.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are playing less amount of games that means salaries are reduced right???:noidea:

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sports that should cut back on games are baseball and hockey. Baseball should be 100 games and start June 1st. Hockey should be 60 games.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb just dumb.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,643.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 82 games is just the right amount of games. its not too short like the nfl season. and its not too long like the mlb season. if they played 162 like the mlb i would definitely think about reducing the number of games. and as for the po season tournament it sounds stupid to me but maybe we just need to see it happen once and it will change our minds

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 teams added so that the league has 32 teams and games reduced to 62 for the regular season, but add another playoff round so that all teams participate in the playoffs...
Tanking will be completely eliminated and mid seasn trading will become much more interesting....

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 teams added so that the league has 32 teams and games reduced to 62 for the regular season, but add another playoff round so that all teams participate in the playoffs...
Tanking will be completely eliminated and mid seasn trading will become much more interesting....

No to all of that

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the other poster, 82 games is good enough, no more or less. As for a play in tournament, no. That's what March Madness is for? What's next, bowl games for the NFL!

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart, 82 games is way too much. Currently star players take like 10-20 games off for "load management"

And on top of that half the games don't even matter. I would like to see around 52 games. Makes each game way more important, and stars are more likely to play in each game. There is a reason football games are way more exciting, and that is because every game matters. The only worse sport is baseball for games that don't matter

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And well they are at it, cut the first round of the playoffs down to a best of 3. That would create more "game 7" like events.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an idea. It popped into my head just now so bear with me. This isn't something I've been thinking about as much as I have the NFL playoff seeding.:D

Play all non-division opponents twice (25 teams x 2) = 50 games

Play all division foes four times (4 teams x 4) = 16 games

Instead of this mid-season tournament...whatever that is....each team could play a simple 4-game series vs one team to end the regular season for a total of 70 games. Those 4 games to end the regular season would be to jockey for seeding in the playoffs (2 games at home and 2 on the road). For the sake of argument I'll just use how the 2018 regular season ended:
EAST
(1)MIL vs (2)TOR
(3)PHI vs (4)BOS
(5)IND vs (6)BKN
(7)ORL vs (8)DET
(9)CHA vs (10)MIA
(11)WAS vs (12)ATL
(13)CHI vs (14)CLE

WEST
(1)GS vs (2)DEN
(3)POR vs (4)HOU
(5)UTA vs (6)OKC
(7)SA vs (8)LAC
(9)SAC vs (10)LAL
(11)MIN vs (12)MEM
(13)NO vs (14)DAL

EAST-WEST
(15)NY VS (15)PHX (both last place teams in each conference)

With this format, the Rockets, for example, could move up to the 2-seed if the ball bounced their way. They take 3 from the Blazers and the Nuggets lose 3 to the Warriors. Let's see a simulation (I subtracted 8 wins and 8 losses from each team).

Before:
(1)GS (49-17)
(2)DEN (46-20)
(3)POR (45-21)
(4)HOU (45-21)

After:
(1)GS (52-18)
(2)HOU (48-22)
(3)DEN (47-23)
(4)POR (46-24)

Not sure if this is flawed in any way. I like it. It adds quite a bit of drama to the end of the season in my opinion. A team that's not currently in the playoffs after 66 games might very well be in after 70. The top-2 seeds could switch places. A 4-seed could become a 5. A team that was a 6 might fall out completely, etc.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything is better than what they got going now. Besides the first week and Christmas the regular season is boring as shit.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for a reduced schedule but the in-season tournament is something I'm not so sure on.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about they stop being snowflakes and play basketball?

The 1972 Lakers were a bunch 30+ year olds who had a record 33 game win streak that still stands today. They had 3 or 4 back to back to back games during that streak too.

And they still had enough energy to win the fucking championship.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about they stop being snowflakes and play basketball?

The 1972 Lakers were a bunch 30+ year olds who had a record 33 game win streak that still stands today. They had 3 or 4 back to back to back games during that streak too.

And they still had enough energy to win the fucking championship.
I guess the NBA has become like MLB in a way. Pitchers having complete games was very common back in the day and now they throw 5 or 6 innings and in comes the relief.