• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sounders sign Deuce

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dempsey is back in the States

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is got to be one of the biggest signings in Seattle sports history. Oh My God!

Multiple sources within Major League Soccer have informed NBC Sports’ ProSoccerTalk that Tottenham Hotspur will receive a $9 million transfer fee for the U.S. captain’s services – roughly 95 percent of the £6 million Spurs reportedly paid for Dempsey last summer. To complete the unexpected move, Seattle have guaranteed the 30-year-old attacker $32 million over the next four seasons, making him one of the most expensive players in league history.

The $9 million transfer fee will also be the highest paid in league history and the second major purchase made by the Sounders this summer.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been some bizarre stuff on twitter over this, but dozens of major news websites are reporting this, including financial details of the deal. Very possible Sounders ordered it's staff and players not to confirm it or mouth off on twitter till the official announcement.

S.I., ESPN, USAToday, FoxSports, Yahoo, LA Times, CNN, etc.... They are all running with it.

S.I.

Clint Dempsey, the U.S. national team captain who has spent the past several seasons scoring regularly in England, is on his way to the Seattle Sounders. The stunning transfer immediately will become one of the most significant transactions in Major League Soccer history when it is announced on Saturday.

SI.com has confirmed the move, which first was reported by ESPN on Friday evening.

Dempsey, 30, was rumored to be on the way out at Tottenham Hotspur following a 2012-13 season in which he failed to start consistently under coach André Villas-Boas. But no one expected a return to MLS, especially for an athlete in his prime who'd been so vocal about his desire to play for a high-level club competing for a berth in the UEFA Champions League.

ESPN:

The Seattle Sounders and Tottenham Hotspur are finalizing the transfer of U.S. national team star Clint Dempsey, who is expected to be introduced as the newest Sounder as early as Saturday, multiple sources told ESPNFC.com.

Sounders GM and minority owner Adrian Hanauer declined to comment Friday, as did two other high-ranking Sounders employees reached Thursday evening. One said he didn't want to jeopardize his job by confirming that a move was imminent.

"But let's put it this way: I'm not surprised I'm receiving a call," that employee said.

The Sounders will pay Spurs an MLS-record $9 million transfer fee to acquire the 30-year-old forward/midfielder’s rights, according to an NBC Sports report. Dempsey's reported base salary of $32 million over four years would also be the largest sum in MLS history.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what in thee fuck was he thinking?

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On second thought, this isn't so bad. I'm guessing he wants to be ready for the WC and getting more playing time helps even if it's only against crappy competition

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pays better than he was making, especially taking into account taxes.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. UK is a welfare state & taxes are insane.

Plus this is one of the best WC teams the US has had talent wise, and could be his last WC depending. Very inportant WC for US. Now he doesn't have to fly back and forth across the planet over the next year for every WC practice. He'll be making a shitload of money as well. Beckham deal seemed ridiculous at first for how much he was going to get paid, but it was a smart investment in promoting MLS and worked. This is even better cause Dempsey is still in his prime, Sounders have best attendance in MLS, and this will just continue to grow the league and its worldwide recognition.

Love this deal.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the dummies claiming it was a twitter hoax.

2021534649.jpg

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EPL has really slipped in ECL play. He's not going to win anything playing for spurs now. It's a good move, try and get an MLS sqaud on the map and beat those dirty Mexicans. If he can get the sounders to the Club Wold Cup, it would be excellent.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not sure how I feel about this move. Cool to see the MLS sign a guy of this magnitude, but have to wonder if it's what's best for Deuce right now. Tough to understand how much room he has left to improve with the competition he'll now be playing with

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with it. Deuce has played against the best in Europe and done well. He's not going to develop any more than he already has, and whatever minimal advantage he loses by not playing in the EPL, he'll gain by not having to fly back and forth across the Atlantic all year. That can take a toll on a veteran.

He'll get to play in a great stadium, with great fans, and for a great owner. And he'll be in the starting squad every day. Plus, while still a ways from the epl, the quality of play in the mls has really improved over when he left.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most I've got mixed emotions. I'm wondering if he consulted Klinsmann at all, since he's a big proponent of getting playing time over occupying a roster spot with a big name club. He was always in the lineup with Spurs but that wasn't guaranteed. Dempsey is also likely going to be playing in his last World Cup, and his game isn't going to change much in the next 10 months. So going somewhere where he'll be a fixture in the lineup and a fan favorite is probably a good call.

Airraidtech

DAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE!
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess its for the cash. IDK Why you would leave the EPL for MLS. Even tho he was at Tottenham!!! HAHAHHA like he was going to win trophies there.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe 'improve' was the wrong word. I hope he can keep his speed of play up. The game isn't as fast in the MLS as it is in the EPL, and having a playmaker at center mid who can play quickly has always been lacking for the USMNT. I don't want to see his speed of play slow. I am probably over analyzing though.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm probably one of the smallest Dempsey fans there is among Americans - I don't dislike him, but just not a very big fan. To me, he is guilty of my Three Strikes of Annoying Soccer Players - he dives when the ref is looking, he delivers cheap shots when the ref isn't looking, and he complains to them too much when the calls don't go his way. Not the worst in any dept., but the combination is just brutal, a guy who is looking to take advantage of the officials too much for my liking, which is relatively unusual among American players.

Anyway, as far as the move, who knows. Good for the MLS, good for Dempsey's bank account, other than that its a low-impact move in my world. He wouldn't have played much for Spurs, he's over 30, his fame is bigger than his on-field impact going forward.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounders just announced today they had opened the last of the upper deck for tix and the game is now a total sell out. 67,000 for his home primere against the Timbers on Aug 25th which will be the record for MLS at Century Link and 2nd biggest attended MLS game since the league started. Check out what some are trying to sell their tix for on stubhub now. Unreal. Hope the game gets ESPN or 2.

I know the 2nd half of season it's put up or shut up time with this roster. Hope they can do it.

Go Sounders!!!

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, 67,000 at an MLS game with attendance being driven by the signing of an American? Soccer is definitely making strides in this country.