• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Soooo.....Michigan State

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get standing up for your school and it's always going to come across as a feeling of fan bias, but now is probably not the time going full homer given everything that has been coming out. Is there over reaction in the media and/or outside fans? Almost surely there is. There was for Penn State as well. Still better to be a lot more contrite and wait for everything to shake out.

Oh I'm not standing up for anything. I was just completing the chain. One poster said quasi-facetiously that most big 10 teams have this issue. The guy i quoted "fixed" that for him saying most teams have the issue period. I'm just backing that up that not just the teams but every college in the US has these issues. It's been near epidemic levels for years and no schools have done enough to correct it.

Believe me, as the father of 2 teenage girls, the only thing that scares me more than sexual predators, are those in power covering up for them so that I look like a bad guy when i inevitably put a bullet through their skull.

Reactions: Rob

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone tell me why it seems to be so hard to treat others with respect? Jesus H Christ. These pompous assholes don't understand that no means no.
Humans are pretty shitty to each other. There's your answer. Chimps are horrible to each other, too.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Humans are pretty shitty to each other. There's your answer. Chimps are horrible to each other, too.
Unfortunately, this. When given the chance to screw others over for personal gain, too many people have no problem making that decision.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, this. When given the chance to screw others over for personal gain, too many people have no problem making that decision.
Agreed. Now give me yo lunch money biatch.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where things get tricky when dealing with students and specifically student-athletes. If a garden variety student is accused then the Department of Student Affairs will get in involved. ( I am trying to use generic terms for the departments because I know they vary from school to school, but you probably get my point). When it is a student-athlete the athletic department has "jurisdiction". Ultimately all public universities and most private schools have a Title IX Department which is Federally mandated to oversee equality and policy for minority students. But still, they are a "school department" and not legal authorities.

If there is a criminal act then the authorities should also be notified by all school departments and they conduct their own investigation which has the legal teeth. I think that is the heart of the problem here. Not notifying the proper legal authorities, hence the allegations of a cover-up by MSU. Which, day by day allegation becomes less appropriate and replaced by confirmed.

Title IX coordinators, athletic directors, and coaches are all almost always "Campus Security Authorities" required by Federal law to report sexual assault to the proper police authority. It's required by the Clery Act punishable by fine or loss of Federal grants.

Then, it is also backed up by requirements of "responsible employees" to report sexual assault to the Title IX coordinator who is in turn required to report to the police. There are similar consequences for failing to report.

That's the exact language used in the bills for both pieces of legislation. It's up to Universities to define who is a CSA, but it really isn't according to Title IX. So there isn't really an excuse to say "it wasn't my job to report it".

The feds need to stop fucking around and start stripping funding to these universities. These fake ass couple hundred thousand dollar fines don't mean shit for a billion dollar entity and multi-million dollar athletic departments.

Not to mention, the responsibility and investigation should be done by police. Title IX can't be trusted to regular folks as being proven over and over across the nation (usually some random female diversity promotion with almost no experience in investigations or compliance).

It should be headed up by lawyers and law enforcement. Who are more likely to have the proper investigative experience and legalese understanding to handle these matters.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading some articles I don't see how Dantonio or Izzo survive this. Only a matter of time IMO.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the lawsuits coming.......this will destroy MSU.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like when news broke about PSU, I feel bad for MSU grads and fans.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching OTL and this is truly disgusting.

I'm a contrary person by nature, but the more I watch of this reporting the more annoyed I get by the obvious agenda. It makes me want to point out all the biases they're showing, and the logical fallacies, and the flat out twisting and spin they are putting on the actual facts. But then i get more mad when i feel like im defending rapists and an abusive culture. I think I'm going to (try to) just ignore this story completely until it's done and then try to catch up.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a contrary person by nature, but the more I watch of this reporting the more annoyed I get by the obvious agenda. It makes me want to point out all the biases they're showing, and the logical fallacies, and the flat out twisting and spin they are putting on the actual facts. But then i get more mad when i feel like im defending rapists and an abusive culture. I think I'm going to (try to) just ignore this story completely until it's done and then try to catch up.

I understand, I'd probably feel the same way if it were UCLA but it has the ring of truth.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, I'd probably feel the same way if it were UCLA but it has the ring of truth.

That's the other thing, I'd feel more comfortable defending it if this were another school.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow......this story is really bad.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
150 claims vs Nassar, the football, and basketball programs.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU will get the death penalty - or as close to it as possible. They aren't a big program like PSU and probably not even on the level of Baylor that the NCAA won't make an example out of them. This is not just football but bball and gymnastics - the whole athletic department looks complicit.

And SHAME (not saying anyone here) on Sparty homers playing the "Everyone does it we just got caught card." What an insult to injury to the victims to say that. It was one thing to see Hollywood get caught in a massive sex scandal then turn around and have Oprah lecture everyone else about it, but now MSU too? Disgusting, and shows just how little this really is enough the victims to some MSU fans, and all about the reputation of their sports program.

Defiant to the end Dantonio will step down Monday if he has any class, but he won't.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU will get the death penalty - or as close to it as possible. They aren't a big program like PSU and probably not even on the level of Baylor that the NCAA won't make an example out of them. This is not just football but bball and gymnastics - the whole athletic department looks complicit.

And SHAME (not saying anyone here) on Sparty homers playing the "Everyone does it we just got caught card." What an insult to injury to the victims to say that. It was one thing to see Hollywood get caught in a massive sex scandal then turn around and have Oprah lecture everyone else about it, but now MSU too? Disgusting, and shows just how little this really is enough the victims to some MSU fans, and all about the reputation of their sports program.

Defiant to the end Dantonio will step down Monday if he has any class, but he won't.

My wife(MSU Class 1998) is in complete denial mode now that Dantonio and Izzo are dragged into this mess.