• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sooners make it on the list twice

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with much of anything that article said.
We'll need a high level of consistent QB play and substantially better run defense to only lose 1 game though. Not sure that's going to happen.

Phillips could anchor the middle if he stays healthy. That was a major issue, especially when he went down. Back-ups now have more experience and are a 1 further in developing. I can not imagine the run defense will not improve at least moderately and perhaps it can take a major jump

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with much of anything that article said.
We'll need a high level of consistent QB play and substantially better run defense to only lose 1 game though. Not sure that's going to happen.

The defense played well enough to win every game last season and should be better this season. If the offense can be half of what they were in the Sugar bowl then the Sooners have a good chance to win every game this upcoming season.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense played well enough to win every game last season and should be better this season. If the offense can be half of what they were in the Sugar bowl then the Sooners have a good chance to win every game this upcoming season.

Defense was terrible vs Texas. Offense was worse, but defensive front was completely manhandled by a mediocre Texas OL. Its pretty funny, but I am wondering who OU is this year. Last year they were a solid team that outperformed with some luck. I expect them to be better. Is it a legit top 15 better or a legit NC better? A lot of questions for a preseason NC contender.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for anyone facing our defense this season.

If all our young men stay healthy....shits gonna be rough for all comers.

We were 20th nationally in total defense last year...followed by TCU, K State and Baylor.

Defense wins championships, right?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The middle of Ou's D was soft. If they got that fixed they should be decent. We'll see if Trevor Knight is the real deal, or just lucked out playing an Alabama team that isn't used to defending decent QBs

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense was terrible vs Texas. Offense was worse, but defensive front was completely manhandled by a mediocre Texas OL. Its pretty funny, but I am wondering who OU is this year. Last year they were a solid team that outperformed with some luck. I expect them to be better. Is it a legit top 15 better or a legit NC better? A lot of questions for a preseason NC contender.

But the defense only gave up a net of 16 points! If you tell me going into a game that we are gonna hold the other guy to 16 I take that every time. I don't care how many yard they give up its about the points. Heupul made Texas' defense look like the 85 Bears with his play calling. Everyone knew Texas had trouble defending a mobile QB but he has Bell throwing from the pocket all game. Never brought Knight in and tried something different. The Baylor game was ours to take in the first half if the offense could have generated anything. No one is gonna tell me Baylor's defense is that good especially after I watched them in the Fiesta bowl. OUr O-coordinator doesn't know how to adapt in game to what is happening on the field. If what he starts with doesn't work he just keeps doing the same thing.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The middle of Ou's D was soft. If they got that fixed they should be decent. We'll see if Trevor Knight is the real deal, or just lucked out playing an Alabama team that isn't used to defending decent QBs

OUr best NT was out for the year with a back injury. Everyone made a big deal about Cory Nelson being out at LB and it did hurt but not as bad as Phillips being out of the middle. Look at OU's run defense early when both Phillips and Nelson where on the field. It was a lot better than what happened against Texas. Good news is the injuries gave the young guys some experience and now we have depth. Can't wait to see you guys in the Cotton Bowl next season!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the defense only gave up a net of 16 points! If you tell me going into a game that we are gonna hold the other guy to 16 I take that every time. I don't care how many yard they give up its about the points. Heupul made Texas' defense look like the 85 Bears with his play calling. Everyone knew Texas had trouble defending a mobile QB but he has Bell throwing from the pocket all game. Never brought Knight in and tried something different. The Baylor game was ours to take in the first half if the offense could have generated anything. No one is gonna tell me Baylor's defense is that good especially after I watched them in the Fiesta bowl. OUr O-coordinator doesn't know how to adapt in game to what is happening on the field. If what he starts with doesn't work he just keeps doing the same thing.

Texas had 445 yards, the 4th highest total on the year. 2nd highest under Case. 255 rushing yards, only Tech and New Mexico gave up more. Texas threw 6 passes in the 2nd Half (16 in the first half). 16 pts by the offense was more a reflection of a change in Texas's offensive philosophy, not great defense. ND ran all over OU also, offense actually bailed them out. OU was great vs the Pass last year, but when forced to defend the run they were not very good. That may change with Phillips back

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas had 445 yards, the 4th highest total on the year. 2nd highest under Case. 255 rushing yards, only Tech and New Mexico gave up more. Texas threw 6 passes in the 2nd Half (16 in the first half). 16 pts by the offense was more a reflection of a change in Texas's offensive philosophy, not great defense. ND ran all over OU also, offense actually bailed them out. OU was great vs the Pass last year, but when forced to defend the run they were not very good. That may change with Phillips back

I'm not saying you didn't run all over OUr defense because you did. What I am saying is the defense handle themselves rather well considering their top DT and LB were out and the offense couldn't do anything but throw them back on the field after a 3 and out. It's funny how success on offense helps the defense. Even getting a couple of first downs gives them a chance to rest and have the strength to make a tackle versus missing one. In the two games the Sooners lost last season the offense was flat out terrible. I honestly believe if Bama had stuck to their guns a ran the ball the way they like to then OU would have lost the Sugar Bowl too. The difference was that the offense was generating points and first downs giving the defense time to rest. Bama was the best run team OU had played all year and they would have gotten stomped if the offense didn't do their part.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying you didn't run all over OUr defense because you did. What I am saying is the defense handle themselves rather well considering their top DT and LB were out and the offense couldn't do anything but throw them back on the field after a 3 and out. It's funny how success on offense helps the defense. Even getting a couple of first downs gives them a chance to rest and have the strength to make a tackle versus missing one. In the two games the Sooners lost last season the offense was flat out terrible. I honestly believe if Bama had stuck to their guns a ran the ball the way they like to then OU would have lost the Sugar Bowl too. The difference was that the offense was generating points and first downs giving the defense time to rest. Bama was the best run team OU had played all year and they would have gotten stomped if the offense didn't do their part.

Bama ran all over OU. Yeldon and Henry ran for almost 7 yard per carry. Bama went for over 500 yards vs OU. Bama averaged 7.9 yards a play vs OU. The defense was not very good. This was a case where the offense won the game. You could make that case for ND and KSU also. Early lead pressed Bama to throw more. I dont think our thoughts on the 2014 defense are very far off, but I fully believe OU had a rather shaky run defense last year.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a case where the offense won the game.

Yeldon/Henry had 172 total rushing yards on 25 carries. The team had 129 rushing yards collectively.

Bama had 5 turnovers, and OU's offense was on the sideline when those happened.

The offense looked better than it had all season, against a perceptibly better if not the best team around. I think it was more of a team effort.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama ran all over OU. Yeldon and Henry ran for almost 7 yard per carry. Bama went for over 500 yards vs OU. Bama averaged 7.9 yards a play vs OU. The defense was not very good. This was a case where the offense won the game. You could make that case for ND and KSU also. Early lead pressed Bama to throw more. I dont think our thoughts on the 2014 defense are very far off, but I fully believe OU had a rather shaky run defense last year.

That game had a lot to do with turnovers and quarterback sacks.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeldon/Henry had 172 total rushing yards on 25 carries. The team had 129 rushing yards collectively.

Bama had 5 turnovers, and OU's offense was on the sideline when those happened.

The offense looked better than it had all season, against a perceptibly better if not the best team around. I think it was more of a team effort.

Not trying to take away from the team, but simply pting out that the big surprise was on the offensive side. If you told me Bama would average over 7 yds a play and have 550 yards before the game, I would have said Bama by 20+. That was a pretty pedestrian offense for most of the season and they beat an excellent defense. Honestly, it was a great coaching job. Pretty amazing that was the same coaching staff that decided not to test Texas's defense with QB runs.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to take away from the team, but simply pting out that the big surprise was on the offensive side. If you told me Bama would average over 7 yds a play and have 550 yards before the game, I would have said Bama by 20+. That was a pretty pedestrian offense for most of the season and they beat an excellent defense. Honestly, it was a great coaching job. Pretty amazing that was the same coaching staff that decided not to test Texas's defense with QB runs.

Think that had more to do with heupel than stoops and his inability to adjust.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IKR?

Like Saban was thinking he would beat us no matter what the did (run/pass).

If they would have stuck with the run and occasional dump/over the top they wouldn't have had so many turnovers precipitating the need to throw the ball more.

Saban's OC pulled a Heupel.