• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So Who Moves and Who Stays?

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same poster continues, "in 2010, the reds had cueto, harang, arroyo, volquez, votto, bruce ... and stubbs, who they thought was a talent ... phillips was young, and there were pieces in the pipeline. give me that core and I will win a lot of games."

what core? the reds essentially got nothing for harang, arroyo, or volquez. votto, phillips, and bruce hadn't been signed to big $ deals yet, and they got choo, for what was always going to be one year, for stubbs. they haven't won a lot of games comparatively. the a's & rays have both won more games since 2010, and they've done it w/ significantly less payroll $. additionally, the best pieces in the reds pipeline were traded. in the meantime, huntington and his scouting staff were identifying talent like josh harrison, starling marte , gregory polanco, gerrit cole, taillon, and glasgow to name a few. that's a pipeline. a pipeline that is current. the pirates have depth because of well executed scouting, drafting, trading, and signing (in numbers), and subsequent development. btw, not all high draft picks either. if burnett or liriano gets hurt or dl'ed the pirates have viable alternatives. they are not one injury from being a non-contender. huntington saw to that some years back. moore was trading grienke for cain, escobar, and odorizzi. odorizzi eventually being the center piece of the trade that brought shields and wade davis to kc. there are countless other examples of these gm's being proactive rather than reactive. the latos and simon trades seemed reactive to me. one of the above referenced gm's explains perfectly, "anytime you have to do something, it's not advantageous," "so we would much prefer to have the option to … make the decision out of desire rather than need." which brings me back to the crasnick article, and begs the question. why weren't moves made 2, 3, or 4 years ago. yes, the reds were winning. yes, moving any of the players, sans byrd, would have been unpopular with the fans. but, it was imperative they be made to keep the reds competitive and to avoid this 'hastened re-build.' it's what a mid market team has to do, and the evidence to support this is empirical. the good gm's identified what they were looking for; like a player who profiles with a specific skill set or a certain value based on price / contract status point. they used that narrower scope to their advantage, and increased their focus on legitimate prospect possibilities, which allowed them to get a lot of them to create depth and commodities for other trades. this is exampled conjecture, but i believe the reason pittsburgh got byrd in 2013 was because they had more organizational depth. they were willing to part with vic black because they had legitimate v, w, x, y, and z prospects. the reds did not have enough prospect depth to enable them to part with any of them. also, could be the mets didn't see anybody they wanted in the reds system. i was surprised in 2012 that the reds didn't take a college pitcher, as opposed to the high schooler travieso. the starting rotation was rapidly approaching the end of contracts / affordability, and i thought the reds would take a more mature pitcher (quicker to mlb type) like wacha from texas a&m. cingrani (rice), lorenzen (csf), moscot (pepperdine) got to cincinnati quicker via universities. the specific distinction, and 'quicker to mlb' probability, is sharply defined when you consider the pirates and reds 2011 first round choices. the reds were not going to get the #1 pick gerrit cole. it's the path to actually pitching in mlb that is this reds fan's larger concern. cole was pitching in the majors by 2013. stephenson has yet to deliver a pitch in mlb. "all teams are successful at some point in bringing in young talent," says a poster. i say, "some teams are successful more consistently at bringing in young upper-shelf talent, and more of it."

the same poster maintains, "that building a team to contend forever and ever is a yankees philosophy. it's fun to fantasize about that but it's folly if you think a gm is going to guarantee it. almost no team in recent history has achieved that over a period of more than 3 or 4 years. st. Louis is the exception and perhaps the ONE component to this discussion that fuels the anti-walt talk. if st. louis just played ordinary off and on, we'd have no reason to bitch about why the reds gm used to work for them."

this is just wrong and reduces my critiques of jocketty to a sophomoric contempt of the 'other' team. walt could have been with any other team in all of professional baseball. i don't care if it was with the cards, ashtabula turd-shuckers, or bemidji beating bishops. you are grossly misrepresenting what i wrote, and guiding it in a direction i certainly did not intend. this is not a free association tangent i'm on here. i'm not a casual fan who thinks a gm can trade for anybody at the drop of a hat. i understand it's a difficult job with daily challenges, limitations, and high expectations to produce in our hyper-immediate, if not sooner, gratification society. it's the process and machinery (human & digital) that's put in place that i thoughtfully, and objectively as possible, scrutinize. what's worse, the yankees is what drove these other organizations to take notice of the market and their inability to compete financially. so, they built and planned in other ways to stay competitive. these less flush teams are precisely who i've been juxtaposing the reds gm with. the rays have only had one losing season since 2008. the rays have about 30 to 50 million less annually than the reds for payroll. so, how does that kind of success happen? maybe it's that organizational plan or system -you are having a difficult time grasping the concept of- that was put in place. you don't have to be the yankees to contend and be competitive for more than 3 or 4 years. most of the the gm's, and their teams, named above have proven that, and will continue to prove it. the 'win now' motto is a yankee, big market, high payroll saying. the red's should be a mid market 'stay competitive' mantra. the yankees don't necessarily have to build. they buy. maybe jocketty is better suited for the yankee gm position. jonny gomes put it this way, when he was asked about the tb rays, and after leaving the reds. 'look at seasons when they've won with a low payroll. normally, you would call that a fluke. but when you've done it over and over like these guys do, it's not a fluke by any means. players come and go but the anchor is always there in joe and friedman and their staff. they haven't gone anywhere, which means a lot. you go to different teams' different camps, and they're continually trying to find the winning chemistry, trying to find the winning way of things. it's found in the rays. they got it. … they know how to do it.' i didn't expect jocketty to guarantee continued success and competitiveness. i did expect him to pay attention to trends and eventualities that could not be avoided or ignored. huntington, mozeliak, and hoyer have been paying attention and they did their homework. much to this red fan's chagrin, i suspect pittsburgh, st. louis, and chicago will be decade long successes, or at the least, competitive ball clubs in the playoff hunt come august.

there's a couple things that get skimmed over. lorenzen, iglesias, and desclafani will come nowhere near pitching 350 innings combined. next year will be a problem that way too. i wrote coming up 'mlb ready.' that's quite a bit different than just having a prospect. the bigger point was depth, or lack thereof, and the rate / momentum in getting prospects into the organization and to the big club. it's not a singular 'up and comer,' it's the number of 'up and comers,' as you call them. the acquisition and development of these pitchers has been slow and haphazard in walt's time with the reds. when i looked at the reds 2015 opening day roster, the first question that i had was; where are the reds going to get 400 to 600 innings of starting pitching from? that question alone rendered the reds non-contenders. the transitioning from year to year was sloppy. none of the aforementioned young starters will peak 100-150 innings, nor should they. if they push desclafani beyond that, it will be a mistake. in case you haven't been paying attention, the reds will have this same (innings count) problem next year. will the reds have one starter next year who can throw 200 innings? that includes bailey, and it's a legitimate question. jocketty has backed himself into a corner. here's something the crack staff of enquirer writers hasn't asked: who will start the last 70 games of 2015 if cueto and leake are traded? august and september could get very ugly. if you thought the reds bullpen was bad the first half of the season, wait till they're called upon every game in the 5th inning. what team is going to give up a top-line ready to throw 150+ innings prospect? no team gives up such a beast in 2015. the game changed, with respect to this, a long time ago. walt jocketty did not.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need a hobby.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, it must be nice to assert yourself as a self-serving expert.
Since you clearly don't know how to punctuate, capitalize or use paragraphs, I'd say your expertise is wobbling on three wheels.
Meanwhile, don't expect anybody to read your self-satisfied knowledge of how baseball ought to be played.
Frankly, I find you to be a boorish prick.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank you john. your thoughtful re-post has a boozy maudlin sort of feel about it, but i appreciate the sentiment nonetheless.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been a few moves around the league, but most are small upgrades for teams with injuries. I think every team in the Central with the exception of the Reds have been involved in a move. With six days left in the non-waiver trade deadline teams haven't been willing to give up much to get a impact type player.

Scott Kazmir was a nice pick up for the Asrtos, but with the A's counting pennies it was probably more of a payroll dump than coveting the two prospects they got in return.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that the same Scott Kazmir that had a brief stint with the Reds?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played for a few teams, but I don't remember him ever being with the Reds.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kazmir, has never played in the NL. Has spent most of his career with TB and LAA and a few others.

I'm starting to think that the Reds are going to hold on trades, most teams don't want to give anything of value. I think it was the GM for KC that was complaining that the Reds wanted to much for Chapman. Maybe the Reds don't want to give him away. All these teams want something for nothing. Chapman could help a team win, along with bringing in fans to watch him pitch.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to this day you will occasionally hear a mets fan bemoan the kazmir trade. not duquette's finest hour. but, the wilpon's were making a bundle on investments with madoff, so what did they care. they thought they could buy whatever available player they wanted. and by god, buy they did. artificial crazy gravy train that they apparently didn't see derailing. hard to imagine that they wouldn't have a inkling that those returns were to good to be true. yeah, yeah, yeah. they just kept cashing those checks every quarter or however you semi-launder 500 million bucks. hey fred, i have an idea. let's negotiate deferred money into players' contracts, and then give that money to bernard to invest. that way we'll be able to make money for ourselves before paying the players. i don't think we'll have to pay as much in taxes either. it's a win - win freddy.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This front office is just embarrassing. Cueto finds out that he will be traded from Michael Lorenzen of all people. Then the deal falls through. Walt didn't think to call Cueto and tell him that there was a deal in place for him? The communication should be directly to the player, not through one of his teammates. And don't inform the teammate until the deal is actually done. My god, this organization is a circus.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, If this is true Jocketty should be fired today. That's a hell of a way to treat one of the best pitchers the Reds has had in my lifetime. The management of this team is paranoid and has too many secrets.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's not as bad as Jim Bowden calling Tony Perez on the telephone waking him up at home to fire him 44 games into the job. The last time they had spoken Bowden told him he was doing a great job.

You often hear the phrase "Baseball is a business". Translated it means they don't give a shit about your feelings. You're a asset and nothing more being compensated millions of dollars to perform. It works both ways.. players are looking out for their best interest. Neither care about the fans beyond the revenue stream.

The GM isn't going to inform a player every time he's discussing a trade offer. I'd assume there's been a few clubs call about Cueto the past couple weeks. The timing wasn't the best with Cueto warming up to pitch and Lorenzen being told to go warm up as well..someone was going to have to pitch come game time. As far as Cueto being notified at that point.... Price was made aware of the potential deal and dispatched Lorenzen. So without the deal being finalized it's Bryan Price that should be getting ripped for the way Cueto found out.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cueto knew he was a trade target, before Lorenzen "told him". LMAO...They had Lorenzen warm up in ADDITION to Cueto in his last start, in case the trade was made before the game...that isn't exactly keeping the big secret from Cueto. These writers tend to lean toward controversy, even when there isn't any.

Cwuto is officially a Royal now, going for 3 lefty pitching prospects, Finnegan. Lamb and Reed. IMO, That order is the order of most likely chronological MLB appearance, but reverse for talent ceiling.

No suprise, these trades won't be for players you've heard of, because they can't afford them.

The good news ? The Reds get an early "competitive balance" pick, basically a top 2nd round amatuer pick.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've been critical of walt, but i think this is one of his better moves. it appears the reds targeted these pitchers and weren't afraid to throw some extra cash in to get exactly who they wanted. fair is fair; i think this is going to be very good for the reds. they significantly improved their pitching prospects odds.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always been pissed about Bowden firing Tony, and the way he fired Tony.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know much about the three guys they received for Cueto, but I'm happy that they're all lefties. This team is in desperate need of a left-handed starter. Hopefully, one of these guys can pan out.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, saying losing a pitcher of Cueto's talent will be "good" for the Reds is ignorant. It's never good to lose a top 10 SP in his prime. Probably, NONE of the highly regarded prospects coming to the Reds in trade will duplicate Cueto's performance.

It was deemed a business neccessity...really, just the opportunity cost of spending over $110M elsewhere.

There is no shortage of fans, that even though they've never earned a dime in the game, or in a business they ran, think they know better how to run a team than those actually doing it. Unfortunately, sometimes teams make decisions based in part on real or imagined fan response to those decisions, and some of those wind up looking pretty stupid in the rear view mirror, when the truth is, at the time, it probably looked like the best available opportunity to please fans. In truth, an impossible task.

The Reds aren't the only MLB franchise with problems- they have fewer than many, actually. MLB is by definition a contradiction.

The Tampa Bay Rays are lately, a pretty tasty cheap ass burger, but can't seem to sell it to the locals. Ask their investors (or taxpayers) if they think the Rays are the great wave of the future. Ditto the Marlins.

The Mets have more foot traffic and descretionary income at their doorstep than 90% of MLB franchises, yet are constantly starving for talent and attendance in between rare post season teams. Madhoff is in jail, but Wilpon is still the owner, and Selig and MLB have defrauded Billions more than Madhoff went to jail for, feigning their ignorance of PED's into current revenues. Atlanta's economy compared to Detroit's, don't reflect the current W/L records of the Braves and Tigers.

The same MLB talking heads that ousted the Dodgers divorcee owners are the ones that let them in to begin with. The Cubs have made money losing for a century, and with few exceptions, so have the Phillies and Indians. The Pirates, Astros, Padres, and the recently rocking Royals, spent decades pocketing luxury tax benefits and dumping talent.

You can look at MLB "success" over the long haul, and the vast majority of reasons are simple, and have been repeated from many years before technology added much to their "intelligence". If they win, they draft, develop, trade well and play fundamentally sound baseball, but practice sound business regardless of results of the on field tasks. They keep the customers coming back. They don't have to win the Series to do that. They do have to stay in business though.

I think the Reds will still have a team in Cincinnati next year.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets want Bruce, Bruce I believe has at least 2 more years on his contract. I can't imagine who they would give for him. I know it wouldn't be a starting 8 player, because that's why they want Bruce. They do have some pitching but I doubt they want to give that away either. No hitter is ready in the minors or they would have him up with the Club, Not sure about there pitching prospects. I personally don't see anything good coming out of a trade with the Mets. I think the Mets are hoping the Reds just want to dump salary, and get low minor league prospects. And they just might, unfortunately

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets want Bruce, Bruce I believe has at least 2 more years on his contract. I can't imagine who they would give for him. I know it wouldn't be a starting 8 player, because that's why they want Bruce. They do have some pitching but I doubt they want to give that away either. No hitter is ready in the minors or they would have him up with the Club, Not sure about there pitching prospects. I personally don't see anything good coming out of a trade with the Mets. I think the Mets are hoping the Reds just want to dump salary, and get low minor league prospects. And they just might, unfortunately

The Mets have some very good pitchers who they could send for Bruce, but if I'm trading Bruce I want Michael Conforto or Brandon Nimmo back. Conforto is a LF who hits for average and has decent pop to his bat. He walks a lot and could play relatively soon in the majors. Nimmo is more of a project, but can play all 3 OF positions and has a very high upside. They they also have the likes of Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler and Matz as pitchers. Getting one of them and a bat for Bruce and a little more would be a dream.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, if the Mets had hitters ready now, they'd be using them. Also agree that their top guys currently on the big club probably not going for Bruce either.

IMO, Dealing Bruce (or Chapman) isn't the same as Leake and Cueto. They are under contract- that's good for Reds and others too, but drives the price up, all else equal. The Reds can't take on salary- so a trade receipt has to lower payroll if you want to only cover normal raises guys like Mesoraco and Frazier will receive. If they trade Bruce for double A talent, that's what they're doing, not necessarily believing the token talent they get for him is going to provide a better than Bruce player in 2 years.

The payroll math is simple, but daunting. If budget is $110M, and they have committed $65M aLready (Votto 20, Bailey 18, Phillips 13, Bruce 14) it only leaves $45M to pay 21 players. If you figure a large rookie percentage of 6 players at $500K, that's $41M/15 players @ $2.8M each...that's a problem because Meso and Frazier are going to make about $12 combined themselves. They can't pay Byrd his $9 mil option too, and make payroll. You can play with players and money all day, but the bottom line is they aren't likely to compete with players they can afford to sign. If they compete, it's going to be with who they already have signed, and rookies making MLB minimum playing way over their pay grade.

Bruce and Chapman can get more chips and lower the payroll to pick up a little chump change for Frazier, Mesoraco, etc. but it won't help sign another quality MLB bat or arm.

Remember 1982-84 Reds ? They're back, with maybe one better hitter (Votto), one more closer (Chapman) and one less starting pitcher (no one left in this rotation is as good as Mario Soto was then, unless they DO keep AND start Chapman).

Votto may be Pujols age before this team challenges again. I hope not, but it's more than possible.