• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So who gets sent down when Cueto returns

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is ... "multiple" starts on rehab, which I assume is three ... 3 innings, maybe twice, then 5 ... 40-50 pitches per start. The next thing he needs to evaluate is why this injury is happening. Perhaps that Tiant Twist is contributing to it. We may see a change in his delivery.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto is reported to have a pretty tough workout regimen. He may be working too hard. Over training leads to injury in a lot of athletes.

It'd be interesting to see how effective he'd be if he drops the twist. He became much more dominant when he went to that wind up. I'm assuming it allows him to hide the ball better making it hard for the batter to pick it up out of his hand.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also keeps him closed longer, and prevents flying out toward 1b after the pitch. Trainers will tell you many muscle injuries are because compensatory muscles are too weak- imbalanced strengths sometimes cause a snap at the weakest point. Sometimes it's as simple as a new pitch, or a change in arm angle. Lats and legs are a problem, but shoulders are career killers, and elbows are TJ experiments. As long as Cueto avoids those, it's a lesser problem.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am beginning to think we won't see Cueto until June.
We might as well get used to Mike Leake.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys. Bad news on Cueto.

Johnny Cueto‘s recovery from a strained lat muscle is on hold after the Reds right-hander complained of oblique muscle soreness before beginning a minor-league rehab assignment at Double-A today.
Cueto had to exit his NLDS start against the Giants in the first inning with an oblique injury, so while the setback isn’t related to his arm it’s still worrisome.
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cueto will be examined further Monday, so at the very least his rehab timetable has been pushed back a week or so and Tony Cingrani can get a little more comfortable in the Reds’ rotation.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had seen something to that effect earlier, Big D. My hunch is that JC is going to reinvent himself during this rehab. I think the Tiant Twist is going by the wayside.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had seen something to that effect earlier, Big D. My hunch is that JC is going to reinvent himself during this rehab. I think the Tiant Twist is going by the wayside.

Good for him (likely). Not so good for me, who liked to watch him do it, and harken back to the days of Senior Tiant. I can remember busting out this move in little league once or twice, not that it helped, but I thought it was cool.

Just like doing Willie Stargell's bat twirl. I hit no better ( never could ), but it felt and looked cool doing it.

When I was 12.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you stay with what's working... And don't mess with what's working. Cueto tried to add a cutter this spring. Why ? The turn isn't new. Why get rid if it ? I doubt either caused the injury. If the geniuses working with him decide to alter his delivery to put less strain on a lat, and it makes his pitch more hitable, what's the point ?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys. Bad news on Cueto.

Johnny Cueto‘s recovery from a strained lat muscle is on hold after the Reds right-hander complained of oblique muscle soreness before beginning a minor-league rehab assignment at Double-A today.
Cueto had to exit his NLDS start against the Giants in the first inning with an oblique injury, so while the setback isn’t related to his arm it’s still worrisome.
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cueto will be examined further Monday, so at the very least his rehab timetable has been pushed back a week or so and Tony Cingrani can get a little more comfortable in the Reds’ rotation.

With the Reds medical staff, I normally take what was initially thought, then add at least a month.

How has it taken everyone this long to realize our med staff is a joke, and their projections are always way overly ambitious??

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, the front office says some of that crap just to make sure ticket sales don't hit the crapper.

Cueto may end up on the 60-day if we aren't careful. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. We might not have him till September.

Welcome, Armando Gallaraga, please make yourself comfortable while we score 1.734 runs per game in GABP.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is definitely something more serious with Cueto's oblique. This season "so far" is a night mare

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He suppose to be reevaluated on Monday, Hopefully this oblique is not something that keeps coming back. We need to cross our fingers and hope that this oblique doesn't keep him out another month. I think the reasonable date for him to return now if everything does go okay with his oblique, is around the end of May.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But like JOHNU said we have to be very careful with this, The Reds cannot rush him back or its gonna happen again and be worse.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today Cueto Threw 25 pitches in a bullpen session and he said "Everything felt fine" and the Reds doc said that he looked "Great". So this is obviously really good news and He will throw again in a few days, and it has been said if all goes good he will get right back on the rehab assignment train as early as this weekend.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obliques heal slowly, especially on the throwing side. As long as pitchers keep doing what they've been doing, it's stupid to rush. They said its still sore to the touch when they poke it,but not when he throws... maybe they ought to stop poking it, huh ?

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto threw 50 pitches in His Single A rehab game yesterday, and everything was fine. He is probably gonna throw another game or 2 in minors and possibly be ready to be back next weekend.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interested to see if he has changed his delivery. If he is working on that, he might get more than a couple starts at Dayton.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think he is John. I seen a video of him pitching in Dayton yesterday and he had the same delivery.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not know if the delivery contributes to the injury or whether it's his workout regimen. Could just be ... he got hurt.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After checking, and getting back to your original posed question, I think it has to be Mike Leake that goes when Cueto comes back. I based this about 90% on performance to date, and 10% on the idea that, unlike other Reds, that he still may have waiver options, meaning they can send him down without having to fear losing him to another team.