• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so, what does northwestern becoming unionized mean?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means Pat Fitzgerald could be looking for a new HC job. Here's to hoping its my team. :yahoo:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes sense for the players if what they're actually fighting for what they say they are. The NCAA doesn't pay for their medical bills if they tear their ACL or something. It also sucks for athletes that are in school for three years and lose their scholarship because of an injury. Think about kids that have one year left at a school like Northwestern but they can't finish because it'd cost $65,000+. They can transfer for their senior year to a school that won't get them the degree they've been working towards for three years.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means they'll need 3 players to stand around and watch for every 1 that's actually doing something.

BlackSand

Pirate At Large
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they can start negotiating worker's compensation claims services for student athletes.
Blow your knee out on the field in your senior year ... Lifetime comp benefits because you never made it to the NFL.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big10 has any balls, they would give Northwestern the same treatment WallMart did Quebec frenchie communists in 2005 when they tried to unionize.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ruling means NW athletes can unionize and demand they get better benefits. That's basically it. Many of them feel colleges mistreat them and give them benefits equal to a minimum wage job.

They are deemed employees because they are making money for private colleges, and therefore, deserve to have a say.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ruling means NW athletes can unionize and demand they get better benefits. That's basically it. Many of them feel colleges mistreat them and give them benefits equal to a minimum wage job.

They are deemed employees because they are making money for private colleges, and therefore, deserve to have a say.

This is a mess. First off, I think the fact that athletes do not get workers comp is wrong. That is the single biggest issue for me. Taxation is actually a much bigger issue than people realize. Room and board at USC is 62K (USC Financial Aid - Applying & Receiving Financial Aid - Undergraduate - Costs). At TExas it is ~37k (Cost of Attending | Be a Longhorn). Think of the cost to a kid. Costs him 11-12k in federal taxes to go to USC. Cost ~5k to go to TExas. Now that is federal taxes only. Will this be a huge detriment to out of state recruiting? Will this "price" USC out of the market for many kids? Will this give state schools with no in-state tax an advantage?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the West Coast boys. IF a poor kid from Compton gets offers from USC and UCLA. He will have to pay more than 6k extra to go to USC. Think about that.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the West Coast boys. IF a poor kid from Compton gets offers from USC and UCLA. He will have to pay more than 6k extra to go to USC. Think about that.

The fed would have to change the tax code first, so no.

As far as northwestern, their little union will have zero bargaining power with the ncaa or big 10. College teams are not franchises. So, unless the union can force northwestern out of DI and the big the schools policies will have to stay in line with the policies of those organization.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fed would have to change the tax code first, so no.

As far as northwestern, their little union will have zero bargaining power with the ncaa or big 10. College teams are not franchises. So, unless the union can force northwestern out of DI and the big the schools policies will have to stay in line with the policies of those organization.

Perhaps I am missing something. What in the tax code needs to be changed if this is now classified as income as many have suggested? ( I honestly jsut took this at face value and havent looked into it).

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard an interview on the radio with some legal expert, they said essentially they would have to pay taxes on any compensation above tuition.

And if it ever came to it, they could probably be 'paid' for mandatory actives outside the classroom, ie practice, training, games, public appearances, etc and thus would have a negotiated rate per hour, and then would be responsible for taxes on that money.

Ok, so that would probably be minimum wage since these kids only have a high school diploma. LOL, they just fucked themselves b/c the taxes they will be paying on that schollie will outweigh their total earnings. I haven't met many kids between the ages of 18-21 making bank with just a high school diploma.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford coach David Shaw is questioning what's behind the union movement by Northwestern football players, saying everything they are asking for is already being provided by most universities.

Shaw said following Stanford's spring practice Monday night that he's "curious what's really driving" the union. He said his players are given an athletic scholarship worth about $60,000 annually and have never had to pay for a health care service.

"I'm as confused as anybody as to the importance of this," Shaw said. "I'm curious what's really driving it. I've seen everything, and everything that's been asked for, my understanding is it's been provided.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schollies are not considered taxable income according to US tax code. The irs could syep in and tell nw that they cant hide their salary in an untaxable package if they are indeed employees. Not sure they would. University employees usually qualify for free education for themselves and their children (was that way at miami anyway) and those grants were not taxed. However, they also had taxable income.

If this spreads to other private schools the irs may want to close that loophole. They dont like npt collecting taxes from employees, particularly those earning way above the poverty level.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schollies are not considered taxable income according to US tax code. The irs could syep in and tell nw that they cant hide their salary in an untaxable package if they are indeed employees. Not sure they would. University employees usually qualify for free education for themselves and their children (was that way at miami anyway) and those grants were not taxed. However, they also had taxable income.

If this spreads to other private schools the irs may want to close that loophole. They dont like npt collecting taxes from employees, particularly those earning way above the poverty level.

thanks.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford coach David Shaw is questioning what's behind the union movement by Northwestern football players, saying everything they are asking for is already being provided by most universities.

Shaw said following Stanford's spring practice Monday night that he's "curious what's really driving" the union. He said his players are given an athletic scholarship worth about $60,000 annually and have never had to pay for a health care service.

"I'm as confused as anybody as to the importance of this," Shaw said. "I'm curious what's really driving it. I've seen everything, and everything that's been asked for, my understanding is it's been provided.

THIS ^^^^^^ I thought all of what they're bitching about is already covered. Now, if they're talking about automatically being covered 10 something years down the road b/c of lingering injuries, well, tough shit. They can pay out of pocket with their health insurance plan when they hook up with a company out of college. It's no different than regular students paying off their student loans over the next 10-15 years.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows... but my guess is it won't have one POSITIVE impact on the program.

Unions were started for very good a century ago to protect lives (literally). Whether that was deadly or unhealthy work conditions, child labor, borderline slavery, etc. They weren't started to extort the system as they are being used for today for the most part.

So, as a NW grad... I am actually embarrassed.

I wonder how many NW grads thoughts are congruent with yours. It seems like a lot of others are proud.

As for what it means now in the short term, every aspect of being a Northwestern football player could be taxed if they do unionize. I've thought this for a while now, I firmly believe that no college athlete wants to unionize, it's simply a mechanism to speed up changes to the NCAA.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope ALL student/athletes support ALL students use of ANY facility built on a any given campus.

Time for "equal access for ALL".:yahoo:

That's my story here and I'm sticking to it.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope ALL student/athletes support ALL students use of ANY facility built on a any given campus.

Time for "equal access for ALL".:yahoo:

That's my story here and I'm sticking to it.

Me too. The nicest work out area on miamis campus banned fb players from using it due to its megadonor making that a requirement. Im guessing a fb player bitch slapped him just before walking off with his girl. Not sure how much all of that has changed.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many NW grads thoughts are congruent with yours. It seems like a lot of others are proud.

As for what it means now in the short term, every aspect of being a Northwestern football player could be taxed if they do unionize. I've thought this for a while now, I firmly believe that no college athlete wants to unionize, it's simply a mechanism to speed up changes to the NCAA.

Grab some aspirin and booze...

26 U.S. Code § 117 - Qualified scholarships

Current through Pub. L.*113-86, except*113-79. (See*Public Laws for the current Congress.)US CodeNotesUpdatesPREV*|*NEXT(a)*General ruleGross income does not include any amount received as a qualified scholarship by an individual who is a candidate for a degree at an educational organization described in section170*(b)(1)(A)(ii).(b)*Qualified scholarshipFor purposes of this section—(1)*In generalThe term “qualified scholarship” means any amount received by an individual as a scholarship or fellowship grant to the extent the individual establishes that, in accordance with the conditions of the grant, such amount was used for qualified tuition and related expenses.(2)*Qualified tuition and related expensesFor purposes of paragraph (1), the term “qualified tuition and related expenses” means—(A)*tuition and fees required for the enrollment or attendance of a student at an educational organization described in section*170*(b)(1)(A)(ii), and(B)*fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses of instruction at such an educational organization.(c)*Limitation(1)*In generalExcept as provided in paragraph (2), subsections (a) and (d) shall not apply to that portion of any amount received which represents payment for teaching, research, or other services by the student required as a condition for receiving the qualified scholarship or qualified tuition reduction.(2)*ExceptionsParagraph (1) shall not apply to any amount received by an individual under—(A)*the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program under section 338A(g)(1)(A) of the Public Health Service Act, or(B)*the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance program under subchapter*I*of chapter*105*of title*10, United States Code.(d)*Qualified tuition reduction(1)*In generalGross income shall not include any qualified tuition reduction.(2)*Qualified tuition reductionFor purposes of this subsection, the term “qualified tuition reduction” means the amount of any reduction in tuition provided to an employee of an organization described in section*170*(b)(1)(A)(ii)*for the education (below the graduate level) at such organization (or another organization described in section 170(b)(1)(A)(ii)) of—(A)*such employee, or(B)*any person treated as an employee (or whose use is treated as an employee use) under the rules of section*132*(h).(3)*Reduction must not discriminate in favor of highly compensated, etc.Paragraph (1) shall apply with respect to any qualified tuition reduction provided with respect to any highly compensated employee only if such reduction is available on substantially the same terms to each member of a group of employees which is defined under a reasonable classification set up by the employer which does not discriminate in favor of highly compensated employees (within the meaning of section*414*(q)). For purposes of this paragraph, the term “highly compensated employee” has the meaning given such term by section*414*(q).[(4)*Repealed. Pub. L. 101–140, title II, § 203(a)(1), (2),Nov. 8, 1989, 103 Stat. 830](5)*Special rules for teaching and research assistantsIn the case of the education of an individual who is a graduate student at an educational organization described in section*170*(b)(1)(A)(ii)*and who is engaged in teaching or research activities for such organization, paragraph (2) shall be applied as if it did not contain the phrase “(below the graduate level)”.

Last edited by a moderator: