• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so, what does northwestern becoming unionized mean?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of being the first chink in the dam Idont think it means shit. As long as nw is a part of the ncaa and big 10 they have to abide by their rules. Their no pay for play, no side bonus and academic standards will still stand for membership. So, what exactly can these kids collectively bargain for? Cleaner equipment and softer pillows? I guess they could push for pay and playing in a one team division if tbey can force nw out of the big and D1. Good luck with that schedule. At least nw could finally become a perennial nc.......of their one team division. Would get boring playing fcs and dII teams, tho. Yay for caring about your program.....and all the other sports ypur school is about to cancel. Obamacare mas plus

Last edited by a moderator:

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of being the first chink in the dam Idont think it means shit. As long as nw is a part of the ncaa and big 10 they have to abide by their rules. Their no pay for play, no side bonus and academic standards. So, what exactly can these kids collectively bargain for? Cleaner equipment and softer pillows? I guess they could push for pay and playing in a one team division if tbey can force nw out of the big and D1. Good luck with that schedule. At least nw could finally become a perennial nc.......of their one team division. Would get boring playing fcs and dII teams, tho. Yay for caring about your program.....and all the other sports ypur school is about to cancel. Obamacare mas plus

Who knows... but my guess is it won't have one POSITIVE impact on the program.

Unions were started for very good a century ago to protect lives (literally). Whether that was deadly or unhealthy work conditions, child labor, borderline slavery, etc. They weren't started to extort the system as they are being used for today for the most part.

So, as a NW grad... I am actually embarrassed.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unions served a purpose.....decades ago. Now, they are a bunch of lazy fucks that "CANT" making a ton off the sweat and blood of those that "CAN". Wish I wpuld have thought of that scam first. Id be rollololing past all those criminal wiseguys on my way to the bank!

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since these bloodthirsty unions can only feast upon the weaker private schools at this point, Im guessing when their greedy and greasy italian shoes step into miami the canes wont sponsor any sports anymore. At least I have my grad school to still root for. Fuck, marquette is a jesuit christian school :L. Fuck sports! Ugh

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This case makes a lot of nw fans suddenly HUGE fans of the ncaa. Backfire?

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gives the representation for their "job". Right now, if they get injured they lose their "job" and have no say in it. They can get thrown off the team for no reason. Not to mention they aren't treated like any other college scholarship student. For example, let's say a person gets an academic scholarship to NW. That person then starts a blog and becomes "famous" while still in college. Said person could use their name to promote events or items and even sell their autograph. The same can not be said for a student-athlete.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gives the representation for their "job". Right now, if they get injured they lose their "job" and have no say in it. They can get thrown off the team for no reason. Not to mention they aren't treated like any other college scholarship student. For example, let's say a person gets an academic scholarship to NW. That person then starts a blog and becomes "famous" while still in college. Said person could use their name to promote events or items and even sell their autograph. The same can not be said for a student-athlete.

They aren't allowed to get those benefits because it can be used as a recruiting tool.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since these bloodthirsty unions can only feast upon the weaker private schools at this point, Im guessing when their greedy and greasy italian shoes step into miami the canes wont sponsor any sports anymore. At least I have my grad school to still root for. Fuck, marquette is a jesuit christian school :L. Fuck sports! Ugh

and we stole your coach!

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't allowed to get those benefits because it can be used as a recruiting tool.

But isn't the whole mantra of the NCAA is that these student-athletes be treated like every other student. If that were the case then the other students that have scholarships shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing. Why is one student allowed to do it and another not?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But isn't the whole mantra of the NCAA is that these student-athletes be treated like every other student. If that were the case then the other students that have scholarships shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing. Why is one student allowed to do it and another not?

Because the one student isn't in a competitive sport with other schools.

And really, the amount of academic students who fall in such a category is pretty small.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to know is if they end up putting all athletes in the category of employees and we all consider their scholarship as part/most of their salary, does that mean they will now have to start paying federal taxes on that as wages?

Would serve them right to fight for all of this and end up owing tens of thousands in taxes every year as a result.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing to see is if the NCAA will interpret Unionization as agent representation and rule any student athlete that signs up as ineligible. I think a valid case could be made that should actually happen however I do not know the NCAA's appetite to fight it in court nor if they could win.

Personally I think that is the direction the NCAA should go.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think it will impact anything all that much. For one, this still has years of court appeals to go through.

Secondly, Universities have all of the power in this case. Most certainly all universities will be on each other's side on this issue. If players really push the issue, then I suspect their scholarships can, and would, be pulled and that player(s) will simply have no more affiliation with the institution anymore.

Ultimately the NCAA can make whatever rules about unionization that they want and I'm pretty confident that they will prevent players from actually accomplishing getting paid through the deal. They may allow it to the extent to protect player's safety.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to know is if they end up putting all athletes in the category of employees and we all consider their scholarship as part/most of their salary, does that mean they will now have to start paying federal taxes on that as wages?

Would serve them right to fight for all of this and end up owing tens of thousands in taxes every year as a result.

Heard an interview on the radio with some legal expert, they said essentially they would have to pay taxes on any compensation above tuition.

And if it ever came to it, they could probably be 'paid' for mandatory actives outside the classroom, ie practice, training, games, public appearances, etc and thus would have a negotiated rate per hour, and then would be responsible for taxes on that money.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the tax code changed, all students would have to pay taxes on schollies. Not good.

As far as a student athelete getting kicked out for underperforming....thats bs. They still have the option to pay their own way :noidea: my ACADEMIC scholarship at the U required me to stay above a 3.5 or pay the bill. Im guessing an ATHLETIC schollie requires you to perform in the sport for which you recieved the schollie. Is that so far fetched?

And, I think ALL schollies have a representative clause. Make the school look bad and gtfo. Thats not an athlete only thing.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing to see is if the NCAA will interpret Unionization as agent representation and rule any student athlete that signs up as ineligible. I think a valid case could be made that should actually happen however I do not know the NCAA's appetite to fight it in court nor if they could win.

Personally I think that is the direction the NCAA should go.

This IS what will happen (if they stray from player safety). This case (and others) brought the ncaa devils up from their knees and last breath of life and made them much needed angels. Lol. What a backfire.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What program would throw off a quality player for no reason?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the tax code changed, all students would have to pay taxes on schollies. Not good.

As far as a student athelete getting kicked out for underperforming....thats bs. They still have the option to pay their own way :noidea: my ACADEMIC scholarship at the U required me to stay above a 3.5 or pay the bill. Im guessing an ATHLETIC schollie requires you to perform in the sport for which you recieved the schollie. Is that so far fetched?

And, I think ALL schollies have a representative clause. Make the school look bad and gtfo. Thats not an athlete only thing.

It wouldn't necessarily have to apply to anyone else. If the athletes are now calling themselves employees, the tuition is part of their pay scale. Non athletes are not employees so their scholarships are not payment for services rendered.

I realize they likely wouldn't get taxed on it, but they should. If you ignore the rest of what they get as compensation now and just look at tuition only they can easily earn more than $300k over their 5 years on campus. I know lots of folks who would love to make $60k/year tax free.

To not tax them on this major part of their compensation as employees is to allow them to have their cake and eat it too. If you are employees and want raises then pay your proper taxes on ALL that you are compensated with for your 'job' like the rest of us.