• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so, what does northwestern becoming unionized mean?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How that reads is the scholly will not be taxed, but any payment for services required by your scholarship can be taxed. The scholly, and everything in it is untaxable unless the tax code changes.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it sound like the players are going to vote it down so just some media attention for now. I suspect we will be hearing more of this in the yrs to come though.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will no one think of the poor, starving student-athletes!?

UConn's Napier, on athletes unionizing | The CT Mirror

They should get fed 365 1/4 days a year. That rule is beyond stupid.

A canes player discussed (off the record) how he and his roomate (another fb player) called an asst coach on the weekend and told him they were gonna do bad things to eat because they were starving. The asst showed up with $50 of taco bell :D. He wondered how many years of probation that could have earned the U.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A canes player discussed (off the record) how he and his roomate (another fb player) called an asst coach on the weekend and told him they were gonna do bad things to eat because they were starving. The asst showed up with $50 of taco bell :D. He wondered how many years of probation that could have earned the U.

repeat offender, LOIC, call the NCAA police!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that NorWest coach and that idiot from the NCAA have voiced their opinions...let it be know you kids from NorWest football team, the UAW and the USW boyz have your backs covered here. Put a wrench in the NCAAs monolopy NOW!

GO UNIONS!

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that NorWest coach and that idiot from the NCAA have voiced their opinions...let it be know you kids from NorWest football team, the UAW and the USW boyz have your backs covered here. Put a wrench in the NCAAs monolopy NOW!

GO UNIONS!

:wtf:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unions served a purpose.....decades ago. Now, they are a bunch of lazy fucks that "CANT" making a ton off the sweat and blood of those that "CAN". Wish I wpuld have thought of that scam first. Id be rollololing past all those criminal wiseguys on my way to the bank!

So, you don't like better pay, safer working conditions, medical coverage, weekends off, and having a say in what goes on at your place of employment? If that's what you like, yes, trash the unions. But don't forget the politicians and corporate CEOs who are all in bed with each other, let me guess, you'd rather pay the CEO millions, allow total corruption in Washington DC, and treat the workers like crap? It cuts both ways.

Now, to the question at hand. The court ruling could have a HUGE impact, completely changing college sports as we know them. We seem to only think about the handful of superstars who go on to play in the pros, forgetting that 90+% of these kids risk injury and sacrifice thousands of hours working out, practicing, and are forbidden from so many normal "college" activities, in exchange for the scholarships.

I will agree, I don't see much good coming out of it.

But your silly political rant against unions is probably the best argument I can think of that sadly, unions are still necessary. Too many idiots like you hanging around.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you don't like better pay, safer working conditions, medical coverage, weekends off, and having a say in what goes on at your place of employment? If that's what you like, yes, trash the unions. But don't forget the politicians and corporate CEOs who are all in bed with each other, let me guess, you'd rather pay the CEO millions, allow total corruption in Washington DC, and treat the workers like crap? It cuts both ways.

Now, to the question at hand. The court ruling could have a HUGE impact, completely changing college sports as we know them. We seem to only think about the handful of superstars who go on to play in the pros, forgetting that 90+% of these kids risk injury and sacrifice thousands of hours working out, practicing, and are forbidden from so many normal "college" activities, in exchange for the scholarships.

I will agree, I don't see much good coming out of it.

But your silly political rant against unions is probably the best argument I can think of that sadly, unions are still necessary. Too many idiots like you hanging around.

While I really, REALLY want to post a retort, I must, sadly, refrain so I can notify you that childish name calling isnt tolerated here :( maybe in another thread. :suds:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those players should've picked to attend one of the other 300+ D1 colleges that have dining halls open on the weekends and allows players to eat for free.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny. I worked for a Utah's Union of Carpenters, and this is the way the union works for employees. They get a whole bunch of construction companies to sign up and join that local and lets say they have 1,000 employees and 25 contractors in that union. Say I work for Bone Head Construction and they lay me off. I go down to the Union Hall put my name on the OOW list, they call me the next day and tell me I'm going to go to work for Dumb Shit Construction tomorrow. Now all my benefits don't change at all going to that new employer 401K, Dental, Health, Life, could this happen in College Athletics also????? would the student athlete be able to go and join another school that's unionized? and while I'm at it they can also fire me for under performing at my job. Will they be able to fire these student athletes also for under performing. Oh ya drug testing is mandatory also. What happens to those student athletes that get popped for failing a drug teat. Your fired on the spot in a Union. there is so much that goes into negotiations I don't think the student athlete will get an upper hand in this deal. Ok I'm done!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While there are some legitimate complaints to be made against unions, the benefits and protections of the same cannot be overstated nor minimized by those desiring to do so.

Now to the point, I actually took the time to read nearly all of the posts on this threat and it appears that the main point is missing in the arguments relating to UNW players position. Their stance is that they are EMPLOYEES of the university and thus by law able to unionize. It is noteworthy that the point of contention has narrowed to unionization. Does this mean that the university has or is conceding that major point?

There is no doubt that "higher profile" athletes generate multi-millions (perhaps billions) for participating schools and the NCAA, what then is a fair share of that total due to the player? Some will argue that the scholarship is payment......a weak and unsubstantiated counter when compared to annual gate receipts, TV revenues, the loss of their ability to garner income based on identifying numbers and likenesses in perpetuity and a diploma that is worth less than the paper that it's written on.

I am convinced that the beginning of the end to this last bastion of indentured servitude is finally on firm footing. I do wonder if the majority of responses here are in large part, due to, desires to keep the status quo.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While there are some legitimate complaints to be made against unions, the benefits and protections of the same cannot be overstated nor minimized by those desiring to do so.

Now to the point, I actually took the time to read nearly all of the posts on this threat and it appears that the main point is missing in the arguments relating to UNW players position. Their stance is that they are EMPLOYEES of the university and thus by law able to unionize. It is noteworthy that the point of contention has narrowed to unionization. Does this mean that the university has or is conceding that major point?

There is no doubt that "higher profile" athletes generate multi-millions (perhaps billions) for participating schools and the NCAA, what then is a fair share of that total due to the player? Some will argue that the scholarship is payment......a weak and unsubstantiated counter when compared to annual gate receipts, TV revenues, the loss of their ability to garner income based on identifying numbers and likenesses in perpetuity and a diploma that is worth less than the paper that it's written on.

I am convinced that the beginning of the end to this last bastion of indentured servitude is finally on firm footing. I do wonder if the majority of responses here are in large part, due to, desires to keep the status quo.

Indentured servitude? :laugh3:
D1 fb players recieve more compensation than probably 90% of the posters here.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indentured servitude? :laugh3:
D1 fb players recieve more compensation than probably 90% of the posters here.

............And you know about this legal compensation how?? BTW: your position ("more compensation than......") if true means that there is no longer an argument against a union/ negotiations for a larger share of revenues/ etc. etc.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to overlook the point that cfb supports the tIX/olympic sports. Its not like most of these universities are laughing all the way to the bank. Im not sure the U AD was ever in the black. Now, is the union going protect all student athletes or cherry pick the ones with the most $$$$ potential? Sure, if the U cancelled all other sports there would be a profit to share. Is that what anybody waants? Honestly, if thats what the U faces down the road Id rather drop to division II and continue to enjoy amateur sports.

Dont forget, these kids agree to the arrangement up front. If happen to get super famous thrpugh the promotion of their school and have a certain value then jump to the cfl, or just start there if they dont need a universities help with development and promotion. Its really a no brainer. The ncaa doesnt have a monopoly on sub nfl football, they just offer the best package out of the gate, and the players know it.

Now, if a player blows up, like manziel or winston should they be able to cash in on their marketability? Sure. Go to a non nfl pro league. Otherwise, pool that revenue among all players, or maybe put it in a trust.

I understand if the union was able to get a foothold in the private schools they will be virtually powerless as things stand now. Unless they want to form their own league outside of the ncaa and their respective conferences. But, challenging amateurism will only result in ruining collegiate athletics, olympic sports and benefitting the very select few, imo. Everything unions claim to be against....except dollar bills.

Should the ncaa loosen a bit? Sure. But, where does the slippery slope end? I sell the likenesses off all the player to games, jerseys, magazines, whatever, and pool the money among all players equally in a given division or subdivision. Might be some decent scratch for an intern. Btw, is this union offering its help to medical interns and residents too? Talk about slave labor and horrific working conditions.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
............And you know about this legal compensation how?? BTW: your position ("more compensation than......") if true means that there is no longer an argument against a union/ negotiations for a larger share of revenues/ etc. etc.

I recieved a similar package with my academic schollarship at the U was I an employee?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L GMAFB......