• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So to cure the boredom...........

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My way wouldn't be real popular, because we would probably go 6-10. I would let every UFA walk, Hatcher, Spencer, Sims,everyone except Bailey, who is restricted. I would make Austin and Ware June 1 cuts(I love Ware, but am not interested in restructuring his $16 million cap hit to $17 million next year when he's a year older). Restructures on Romo, Carr, Scandrick and Witten. All of this puts the Cowboys around $20 million under this years cap. I don't sign any over priced FA's, let all the big names go by, and sign a couple of low cost vets to round out the roster. I use the majority of the cap space to sign TSmith and Dez to long term deals, giving them a higher base this year than next. And in the draft, I sign the best player available, regardless of position, to raise the overall talent level of the team. We may not win as many games(although, many of the players let go, Austin, Ware and Spencer have battled injuries anyway), but the cap is a little cleaner going forward, and the roster is younger. If there is a new coach the following year, at least he has a fighting chance, and if JG manages 9-7 and sticks around, that would be fine by me as well

I would not do that, but if that is your plan why not cut Ware before June 1st so you free up 2015 cap space? With all of those cuts and restructures and only siging 'a couple of low cost vets in FA to round out the roster' you won't need the extra cap space this year anyway. Of course common sense says that after feeling so much heat in recent years about how he has structured the team there is zero chance of Jerry doing what you propose above anyway. The fact is you don't pay a QB in his mid 30's $100M and then unload everyone else around him. It is just not going to happen.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we are like 29 or 30 mil. over cap, & I know no one wants to talk about restructuring Romo, but that is what his 7 year contract was contructed for. Restructuring. That would save the Cowboys a little over 10 mil. right there. I would also suspect they will do one more restructuring of Romos current contract down the line.
To me Austin is a definite cut.
Other than Cutting Ware. I don't know where they can get any huge chunks of cap relief. So I could see a very good possibility that Ware becomes a cap casualty. (of course we will probably just restructure)
Also think Mackenzy Bernadeau has a good possibility of being cut.
Other than that I see a lot of extensions, restructures & some unpopular cuts coming.

I'm not sure where that is coming from. Restructuring Romo is a guarantee. There is no way we don't do it.
Getting under the 2014 cap is a piece of cake. Doing it in a smart way that also doesn't hurt us down the road is the Herculean task...

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all of this just posted above, is one of the reasons we will not be relevant for many years to come.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not do that, but if that is your plan why not cut Ware before June 1st so you free up 2015 cap space? With all of those cuts and restructures and only siging 'a couple of low cost vets in FA to round out the roster' you won't need the extra cap space this year anyway. Of course common sense says that after feeling so much heat in recent years about how he has structured the team there is zero chance of Jerry doing what you propose above anyway. The fact is you don't pay a QB in his mid 30's $100M and then unload everyone else around him. It is just not going to happen.

I can't disagree with much of what you said, I was just saying what I would do to fix the team, which is much different than how I think Jerry will play it. Signing Romo to the kind of contract he did was a mistake in my mind, but it's hard to knock Jones for it, as he is trying to win a Super Bowl today, and worry about tomorrow when it gets here. On Ware, I think it's more advantageous to cut him June 1, but a guy like Twist could probably answer that better. As to what I think Jerry WILL do... I think he reworks several deals, including Ware and maybe even Austin, clearing room this year while making our future cap's even worse than this year, while hoping for a huge increase in the cap in a few years to bail him out. That may or may not happen. I think he goes heavy DL in the draft, signs an impact defender, and tries to win a Super Bowl next season, while Romo can still walk

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all likely scenarios if Ware is cut it is more advantageous and certainly more likely to be post June 1st. What I meant was that in your scenario, which I don't think is likely at all, it is better to just cut Ware. Your whole scenario seemed to be based on letting everyone walk, signing no one of any cost and starting over and hoping to have a better team in 2015. Since you also mentioned restructuring Romo, Witten, Carr and Scandrick which would clear a lot of cap space and mentioned the idea was to be able to pay Dez and Smith who are free agents AFTER the 2014 season. I just thought it helped your scenario to keep 2015 as clear as possible. No sense being $20M under the cap in 2014 if we aren't trying to win that year anyway.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where that is coming from. Restructuring Romo is a guarantee. There is no way we don't do it.
Getting under the 2014 cap is a piece of cake. Doing it in a smart way that also doesn't hurt us down the road is the Herculean task...

I completely agree.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all likely scenarios if Ware is cut it is more advantageous and certainly more likely to be post June 1st. What I meant was that in your scenario, which I don't think is likely at all, it is better to just cut Ware. Your whole scenario seemed to be based on letting everyone walk, signing no one of any cost and starting over and hoping to have a better team in 2015. Since you also mentioned restructuring Romo, Witten, Carr and Scandrick which would clear a lot of cap space and mentioned the idea was to be able to pay Dez and Smith who are free agents AFTER the 2014 season. I just thought it helped your scenario to keep 2015 as clear as possible. No sense being $20M under the cap in 2014 if we aren't trying to win that year anyway.

I see what you're saying, but the main reason I wanted to clear a little extra space this year was to be able to resign TSmith and Dez this year to long term deals, and give them a higher base this year than next, to help offset Ware's hit next year. The reason for that being, if both guys go into next year without a new deal, there's no incentive for them to resign before hitting FA. Worst case scenario, we franchise TSmith, killing our cap, and lose Dez because theres no way we win a bidding war if he hits FA because of our cap situation. Thats not to mention Murray coming up as well. If a player makes it to his last year, the smart thing to do is wait for FA. The only way we sign Dez then would be to give him $15 million a year. They aren't giving us hometown discounts

Pencil Sharpener

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to force Ware to take pay cut. Enough with all of the lame restructuring. Time to stop the bleeding. Look at the players the Patriots have either cut or traded over the years. We should have traded Austin,Ware and Romo when we could have gotten something. The window slammed shut on this team when Romo went to cabo.

Good god you are stupid. You want to say it is all on Romo but Crayton dropped a wide open slant pass with zero defenders within 20 yards of him. Would have been a touchdown easily and we go on to who knows what.

Pencil Sharpener

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more restructuring, cut whoever needs to be cut for this and future years. Stop the insanity, this organization is the actual definition of insanity.

That said what I suggested wont happen and Jerry and Stephen will push back money, and then next year push back more money. The vicious cycle never ends.

I bought a bra and some blue and silver pom-poms from DallasCowboys.com, I am so ready for 8-8 again.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more restructuring, cut whoever needs to be cut for this and future years. Stop the insanity, this organization is the actual definition of insanity.

That said what I suggested wont happen and Jerry and Stephen will push back money, and then next year push back more money. The vicious cycle never ends.

I bought a bra and some blue and silver pom-poms from DallasCowboys.com, I am so ready for 8-8 again.

I don't think many will be surprised by your last sentence.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let the educated people and fans talk.

If you don't restructure a few you can't get under the cap .... period end of story :L

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to force Ware to take pay cut. Enough with all of the lame restructuring. Time to stop the bleeding. Look at the players the Patriots have either cut or traded over the years. We should have traded Austin,Ware and Romo when we could have gotten something. The window slammed shut on this team when Romo went to cabo.
Get rid of the bum now. Stop drinking the Kool aid. Ware is done as a player and one of the most over rated pieces of crap we have ever had on this team. But go ahead and keep stretching that dead $$$ right into 2015 as well. Wow.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get rid of the bum now. Stop drinking the Kool aid. Ware is done as a player and one of the most over rated pieces of crap we have ever had on this team. But go ahead and keep stretching that dead $$$ right into 2015 as well. Wow.

We might have to let Ware go, but only because our cap is screwed. Even hurt, he's one of our best players. And he is a Hall of Famer. You have no idea how stupid you come off when you rip a great player like Ware

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might have to let Ware go, but only because our cap is screwed. Even hurt, he's one of our best players. And he is a Hall of Famer. You have no idea how stupid you come off when you rip a great player like Ware

He just wants attention. For months now the only thing he has had to say is We will never win with Jerry and Ware sucks.

He just words it different.

When he tried to talk football he got called out for being dumb........ So now he wants to be Wfrye Jr.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I have come up with so far.

I don't care who wants to hear it .... Romo can't be cut. And Absolutely has to be restructured.
This season Romo played for a base salary of 1.5 million + signing bonus and Misc bonuses.
Cap hit was 11.8 million
We restructure his base next year which is currently 13.5 million.
Once again give him the Vet minimum 1.5 million. and move the 12 million to the 2016- 2017 seasons (Which still makes him cuttable in 2016) That's 2 more seasons
Making his cap hit 8.27 million next year. Down from 21.77 million

Saves you 13.5 million Leaving 11.5 to go

Cut Austin post June 1st .... saves you 4,4 million Leaving 7.1 million to go.

Ware's base is 12.5 million this year. Cap hit is 16 million
Two ways to do this ... Cut him flat out and resign him to a Payton Manning type contract ... year to year. Give him a 2.5 million base salary this year..... would make the cap hit roughly 7 million.
Saves you 9 million on the cap.
Or restructure (which is most likely) take 10 of his million move it to next year. Which will make it a cost of 15.3 million to cut next yeaar ... but post June 1st only 7.5 million ( basically replacing Ratliff in dead cap money)

Minimal restructures..... and under the cap

Cap is predicted to increase 2.6 million per year. So by the time we cut Tony ... it equals out

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't care who wants to hear it .... Romo can't be cut. And Absolutely has to be restructured.
This season Romo played for a base salary of 1.5 million + signing bonus and Misc bonuses.
Cap hit was 11.8 million
Once again give him the Vet minimum 1.5 million. and move the 12 million to the 2016- 2017 seasons (Which still makes him cuttable in 2016) That's 2 more seasons

Two ways to do this ... Cut him flat out and resign him to a Payton Manning type contract ... year to year. Give him a 2.5 million base salary this year..... would make the cap hit roughly 7 million.
Or restructure (which is most likely) take 10 of his million move it to next year. Which will make it a cost of 15.3 million to cut next yeaar ... but post June 1st only 7.5 million ( basically replacing Ratliff in dead cap money)

Cap is predicted to increase 2.6 million per year. So by the time we cut Tony ... it equals out

Forgot to add this .... Leaves you with cap room to sign depth guys

Guys we have now like Hayden and Selvie .... made 680,000 this past year.

We just stay out of the mix in free agency for name guys AGAIN

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW for anyone wondering how bad our cap was this past season .... Look at this

We spent 18 million on players on injured reserve
We had 16.586 million in dead cap money

That's 34 million in the future we have to let guys like Ware, Carr, or whoever go .....
Thats also where your money comes to sign Smith ... and maybe Dez and Murray

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cap hit was 11.8 million

Romo is owed 121+M over the next 6 years, if we keep re-structuring his contract we will owe him 40+M the last year of his contract. the best path is to sit down with him, void the present contract and write a new one . same with Ware, Carr & Austin

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is owed 121+M over the next 6 years, if we keep re-structuring his contract we will owe him 40+M the last year of his contract. the best path is to sit down with him, void the present contract and write a new one . same with Ware, Carr & Austin

See this is why you are a jackass

KEEP RESTRUCTURING??

1. His current contract has never been restructured.

2. He will never see the full contract.

3. He has only 5 million guaranteed past 2015

4. Dare you to try to find a way to get us under the cap next year without restructuring Romo

You didn't even take the 2 minutes to go look at his contract before you spoke up :doh: