• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So if TCU and USC both lose

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it isn’t a surprise to anyone that the structure of college football is completely broken. Always has been.

Allowing teams in lesser conferences to schedule cupcake games and avoid real competition makes this whole process a sham. But it has always been like that.

Expanding the playoffs in a few years will fix that.

…..

Lets assume this year was expanded.

And if that was the case this year, if the first round matchup was Alabama vs TCU, how many people here would put their money on TCU?
It depends on how many points I guess.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it isn’t a surprise to anyone that the structure of college football is completely broken. Always has been.

Allowing teams in lesser conferences to schedule cupcake games and avoid real competition makes this whole process a sham. But it has always been like that.

Expanding the playoffs in a few years will fix that.

…..

Lets assume this year was expanded.

And if that was the case this year, if the first round matchup was Alabama vs TCU, how many people here would put their money on TCU?
Against Bama? THIS YEAR?

My money would be on TCU.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on how many points I guess.

Exactly. No one is picking TCU unless they get points. That is kind of my point.

But I don’t really care. Im just stating it the way I see it. Something like this that makes Saban sad can’t be all bad.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. No one is picking TCU unless they get points. That is kind of my point.

But I don’t really care. Im just stating it the way I see it. Something like this that makes Saban sad can’t be all bad.
At some point, you have to count the actual work done on the field. Alabama lost to the two best teams they played and if Ewers doesn’t get hurt, they likely lose the Texas game as well. Teams shouldn’t be rewarded for having a ton of talent and then underachieving.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against Bama? THIS YEAR?

My money would be on TCU.

Yeah and you thought the Gophers were good and that Fleck is a good football coach.

This is always been the problem with college football. A bunch of homers who don’t understand football and reality get to pick who plays for the national championship.

But again…..the expanded playoffs are FINALLY going to fix this.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think anyone is beating Georgia. But we will take our shot.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s be honest…this doesn’t happen every year but it absolutely applies this year. The only two teams who have earned the right to play for a national title are Georgia and Michigan. Neither TCU nor OSU have earned a chance to play for the national title but the format calls for 4 teams not 2.

Exactly. If the whole "college football is special because the regular season is the playoffs" thing still applies, then TCU, OSU, and Alabama have been eliminated already. The worst part of all of this is the silliness of arguing about which team had the best loss.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and you thought the Gophers were good and that Fleck is a good football coach.

This is always been the problem with college football. A bunch of homers who don’t understand football and reality get to pick who plays for the national championship.

With Chris Autman-Bell in the backfield THEY WERE good. And Fleck IS a good coach/leader.

I DO understand football. Hence why I can tell the difference between a quality Bama team and a Bama team unworthy of the CFP.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AND...

when I thought the Gophers were good and were capable of getting to the CFP, I acknowledged the weakness of their schedule and claimed with 1 regular season loss, a CCG win over a Top 4 OSU/Michigan/PSU would be required. I can't remember arguing an undefeated regular season and a CCG loss would get them in and if I did argue that was possible it would only be if the game was very close.

Those two scenarios match TCU's, they went undefeated vs a less than stellar schedule and lost their CCG in OT to a Top Ten,

and USC's, as they had one loss and would have gotten into the CFP had they won their CCG.

So my reasoning earlier was solid, and several mentions of injured players affecting outcomes have been made by other posters, AND...

I can justify the argument that Chris Autman-Bell's impact was significant, by highlighting his stats from 2019-2021 and the games he played in 2022 after rising to being the #1 wr on the team.

Combine CAB's absence with Ibrahim missing the Purdue game and the impact was even more significant. And Morgan's missing the PSU game didn't help, either.

So I was NOT wrong about the quality of the Gopher team that started out 4-0 and MOST of the computer rankings agreed with me, btw.

If I was wrong about anything, that would be my belief that Fleck had built up enough depth to handle multiple injuries. Had the injuries happened earlier Fleck may have been able to adjust, but they happened just before or during the most important 3 game stretch of the season.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My argument was their 1 loss was to a worse team than OSU 1 loss and the rest of their wins required huge comebacks vs OSU won their games pretty easily. The entire way they decide is pretty random tho lol
But they DID come back in all of those games right? They beat ALL 9 teams in their conf, 7 of whom are bowl bound teams.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also got laughed at earlier when I listed TCU as having the 2nd best resume at that point. I clarified that the winner of the OSUvMich game would move up to #2, if TCU stayed unbeaten and OSU/Mich did as well, which is what happened. And TCU finishing at #3 shows I was right.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND...

when I thought the Gophers were good and were capable of getting to the CFP, I acknowledged the weakness of their schedule and claimed with 1 regular season loss, a CCG win over a Top 4 OSU/Michigan/PSU would be required. I can't remember arguing an undefeated regular season and a CCG loss would get them in and if I did argue that was possible it would only be if the game was very close.

Those two scenarios match TCU's, they went undefeated vs a less than stellar schedule and lost their CCG in OT to a Top Ten,

and USC's, as they had one loss and would have gotten into the CFP had they won their CCG.

So my reasoning earlier was solid, and several mentions of injured players affecting outcomes have been made by other posters, AND...

I can justify the argument that Chris Autman-Bell's impact was significant, by highlighting his stats from 2019-2021 and the games he played in 2022 after rising to being the #1 wr on the team.

Combine CAB's absence with Ibrahim missing the Purdue game and the impact was even more significant. And Morgan's missing the PSU game didn't help, either.

So I was NOT wrong about the quality of the Gopher team that started out 4-0 and MOST of the computer rankings agreed with me, btw.

If I was wrong about anything, that would be my belief that Fleck had built up enough depth to handle multiple injuries. Had the injuries happened earlier Fleck may have been able to adjust, but they happened just before or during the most important 3 game stretch of the season.

"when I thought the Gophers were good and were capable of getting to the CFP"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah okay, homer on!

Your answer will be full of your usual over the top nonsense but exactly which year did Minnesota have a shot at the playoff?

You gonna say 2019 when they lost two of their final three games?

It was hilarious yesterday when you tried to pimp-up the Minnesota dance team.

And ARE the #1 dance program OF ALL TIME. <_----------------------------------------------------------

(1)
And WERE the #1 Wrestling program in the nation for a full decade, 1998-2007.

1. What the fuck????? Do you ever stop being an over the top homer? So you think Minnesota had the # 1 wrestling program from 1998-2007? Here are the programs that won national titles during that span.

'98, '99, 00- Iowa

'01, 02- Minnesota

'03, '04, '05, '06- Oklahoma State

'07- Minnesota

Pay very close attention to the fact that from '98 to '07 Okalhoma State and not Minnesota have the most titles.

What's wrong with you seriously, why do you always have the need to lie about all things Minnesota Gophers?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You better hope Bama beats KSU.

If they don't, lol

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"when I thought the Gophers were good and were capable of getting to the CFP"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah okay, homer on!

Your answer will be full of your usual over the top nonsense but exactly which year did Minnesota have a shot at the playoff?

You gonna say 2019 when they lost two of their final three games?

It was hilarious yesterday when you tried to pimp-up the Minnesota dance team.

1. What the fuck????? Do you ever stop being an over the top homer? So you think Minnesota had the # 1 wrestling program from 1998-2007? Here are the programs that won national titles during that span.

'98, '99, 00- Iowa

'01, 02- Minnesota

'03, '04, '05, '06- Oklahoma State

'07- Minnesota

Pay very close attention to the fact that from '98 to '07 Okalhoma State and not Minnesota have the most titles.

What's wrong with you seriously, why do you always have the need to lie about all things Minnesota Gophers?
UMn had several runner up finishes those 10 years. FOUR of them in fact.

3 firsts, FOUR 2nds for Minnesota.

4 firsts, ZERO 2nds for Okie St.

SEVEN top 2 finishes for UMn.
Vs
Four top 2 finishes for Okie St

As for Iowa, they had 3 firsts but only two 2nds.

As usual you focus on only Titles as if they are the one and only factor.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St & Michigan AND Notre Dame football COMBINED have only 5 Natl Titles in cfb in the last 50 years, I believe.

UMn hockey alone matches those 3 combined the last 50 years, yet YOU bash UMn hockey?

Btw, UMn hockey is ranked #1 currently.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St & Michigan AND Notre Dame football COMBINED have only 5 Natl Titles in cfb in the last 50 years, I believe.

UMn hockey alone matches those 3 combined the last 50 years, yet YOU bash UMn hockey?

Btw, UMn hockey is ranked #1 currently.

It would be interesting to see how all major sports programs for all p5 conference teams ranked nationally each year for the past few decades.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be interesting to see how all major sports programs for all p5 conference teams ranked nationally each year for the past few decades.
I can do that this winter.

Last 50 years top 5s off top of my head...

Cbb - UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Indiana & Kansas?
Cfb - Bama, Miami, Okla, USC & FSU?
CBb - LSU, Texas, Miami, Arizona & Oreg St?
Chk - UMn, UND, BC, Wisc & BU?

Interesting omissions

CBb - UCLA. They're arguably Top 2 AT
Cfb - NDm & UM. They're both arguably Tp 3 AT
CBb - USC. They're arguably #1 AT
Chk - UM & DU. They're both arguably Tp 4 AT

Last edited: