• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So If Scott Frost Bust at Nebraska Should They Just Shut The Program Down?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Auburn and Nebraska is stupid though.....especially in 2017

Auburn can land upper end top 10 recruiting classes, even with a maybe elite coach, Nebraska is probably going to be at best in the 15-25 range.
Honest question...to anyone...especially you guys that follow recruiting real close. Are three consecutive 15-25 recruiting finishes enough to get a team into the playoffs? (I know they still have to be coached so please let that one lay.) If not, where do you think the cutoff is? Looking at this year only, the top 15 is currently:

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Penn State
5. Alabama
6. Miami
7. Notre Dame
8. Cemson
9. Oklahoma
10. Auburn
11. USC
12. Washington
13. Michigan
14. LSU
15. Oregon

Even though there are some good names below #15, I just can't see them making it without some kind of weird season or them having top better than top 15 finishes the past couple of years. Michigan State (currently #26) and Florida State (currently #33) are the only teams I see below #15 that have made the CFP so far. There are 8 of the top 15 that haven't made the first four CFPs either.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to boil it down to coaching because it’s not like we are comparing Auburn going through Wisconsin’s schedule. You have to consider doing that with G5 players.

Like I said, he's a good coach and accomplished a lot for what he had. I'd be happy with the hire if I was a Nebraska fan.

But at the same time, it's NEVER been a sure fire hire for anyone and we have seen these same scenario's play out badly time and time again - probably more often than not. I mean THANK GOD WE DIDN'T GET RICH ROD.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, he's a good coach and accomplished a lot for what he had. I'd be happy with the hire if I was a Nebraska fan.

But at the same time, it's NEVER been a sure fire hire for anyone and we have seen these same scenario's play out badly time and time again - probably more often than not. I mean THANK GOD WE DIDN'T GET RICH ROD.

So do you agree with OP that Nebraska "needs a plan B" in place right now?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question...to anyone...especially you guys that follow recruiting real close. Are three consecutive 15-25 recruiting finishes enough to get a team into the playoffs? (I know they still have to be coached so please let that one lay.) If not, where do you think the cutoff is? Looking at this year only, the top 15 is currently:

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Penn State
5. Alabama
6. Miami
7. Notre Dame
8. Cemson
9. Oklahoma
10. Auburn
11. USC
12. Washington
13. Michigan
14. LSU
15. Oregon

Even though there are some good names below #15, I just can't see them making it without some kind of weird season or them having top better than top 15 finishes the past couple of years. Michigan State (currently #26) and Florida State (currently #33) are the only teams I see below #15 that have made the CFP so far. There are 8 of the top 15 that haven't made the first four CFPs either.
Michigan State has made the playoffs with a four year recruiting average of like 32, which is the highest of any team that has made the playoffs.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But at the same time, Florida got Urban Meyer.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the right guy for the job. Neb fans will have to be patient as it will take at least 1-2 seasons to get them really ready to be competitive against the big boys of the Big10. Its kind of a similar situation to when Petersen excepted the job at Washington.
Both programs were mediocre with the previous staff, recruiting suffered, and always have to work extremely hard to recruit against the other bigboys given the geography and getting 4+ star talent to comit to playing there.
Year 3 will be the true measuring stick. In the meantime, enjoy the ride up, but get ready to be patient because 7 to 8 wins are about what you'll be dealing with years 1 and 2.
There is a reason he got a 7 year contract and nobody of any significance, and nobody ive heard of, has bitched about a 7 year contract. We expect the climb back to take time, any sooner is icing on the cake.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bama was pursuing Mike Riley at one point in time :D

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Penn State
5. Alabama
6. Miami
7. Notre Dame
8. Cemson
9. Oklahoma
10. Auburn
11. USC
12. Washington
13. Michigan
14. LSU
15. Oregon

I think it could be done here and there with the right coach, it would be hard to consistently reach the playoff without hitting the top 10 a few times though.

Corn has the luxury of playing in the weaker B1G division, which kind of gives them a leg up, if they can get past Wisconsin they have a decent shot.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Penn State
5. Alabama
6. Miami
7. Notre Dame
8. Cemson
9. Oklahoma
10. Auburn
11. USC
12. Washington
13. Michigan
14. LSU
15. Oregon

I think Oklahoma is the only team to win a natty in the last 20 years that didn’t have at least 1 class in the top 5 recruiting within a 4 year span before winning. It would be extremely hard to pull off but anything is possible.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Oklahoma is the only team to win a natty in the last 20 years that didn’t have at least 1 class in the top 5 recruiting within a 4 year span before winning. It would be extremely hard to pull off but anything is possible.
Thanks. I don't follow recruiting that close. But it sure seems like the probable field of legitimate CFP contenders is determined on National Signing Day.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I don't follow recruiting that close. But it sure seems like the probable field of legitimate CFP contenders is determined on National Signing Day.

The teams that finish in that range rotate however.

Most of them anyway. :D

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it could be done here and there with the right coach, it would be hard to consistently reach the playoff without hitting the top 10 a few times though.

Corn has the luxury of playing in the weaker B1G division, which kind of gives them a leg up, if they can get past Wisconsin they have a decent shot.
Stars would need to align, lower talented team avoid injuries and the more talented teams have them, favorable schedule...especially the timing of when you play certain opponents, etc...stuff like that would be needed.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The teams that finish in that range rotate however.

Most of them anyway. :D
The don't rotate that much do they. Anyone know when the last time the four CFP participants this year finished outside the top 15-25 range?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stars would need to align, lower talented team avoid injuries and the more talented teams have them, favorable schedule...especially the timing of when you play certain opponents, etc...stuff like that would be needed.

Nebraska kinda gets boned in having to play Ohio State for at least the next 4 seasons.

2019 would be a good year to make a run, they play Ohio State but avoid the other 3 tougher teams in the other division.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy gets it
741824.jpg

I would eat corn out of that corn dispenser.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the question posed in the title.

Yes.

Not gonna bother reading all the other posts.
Too many words, and stuff.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are under the age of 21. Otherwise it’s 18.
giphy.gif

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/michigan-statutory-r*pe-laws.htm
The age of consent in Michigan is 16, except in cases where one person is an authoritative figure to the other (teacher, etc). In those cases the age of consent is 18. What this means is that a 16 and 100 year old (who have no authoritative relationship) could legally have intercourse even without permission from the parents of the 16 year old.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/michigan-statutory-r*pe-laws.htm
The age of consent in Michigan is 16, except in cases where one person is an authoritative figure to the other (teacher, etc). In those cases the age of consent is 18. What this means is that a 16 and 100 year old (who have no authoritative relationship) could legally have intercourse even without permission from the parents of the 16 year old.

I find it strange that you know these laws so well.