• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So if it comes down to it, who gets the 25th roster spot - Arias or Theriot?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure both will be on the roster. Assuming 13 position players:

C -- MVP, Chez3
IF -- Pick, Moped, Fish, Panda, Huffer, Riot, Kobe
OF -- Herk, Oxy, X, Shark

If you're going to leave one of Kobe or Riot off the roster, who are you keeping on? Peggs? ManBur? Whitey?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An article in today's SJMerc is saying that Bochy is considering going with an 11-man pitching staff for the first series...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C -- MVP, Chez3

If you're going to leave one of Kobe or Riot off the roster, who are you keeping on? Peggs? ManBur? Whitey?

The first person I'd drop off the above list is Huff.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first person I'd drop off the above list is Huff.

But he's on the roster as a LH PH. And that wasn't the question anyway, which was "if you're going to leave off Kobe or Riot, who are you going to include?"

With Bochy's latest announcement, Kobe and Riot are locks, and the 25th guy will be a battle between Christian, Peggs, and ManBur.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I guess my answer is "neither" (because the choice *shouldn't* be between those two).

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But he's on the roster as a LH PH. And that wasn't the question anyway, which was "if you're going to leave off Kobe or Riot, who are you going to include?"

With Bochy's latest announcement, Kobe and Riot are locks, and the 25th guy will be a battle between Christian, Peggs, and ManBur.

I think it's going to be pegs. That's who I'd choose. And I agree with Bochy, you only need 11 pitchers, and that means Vogey or Timmy goes to long relief.

Regarding that last question, I'd be bold and put Timmy in the bullpen. That way Posey unquestionably catches every game, you got pick at 1B in every game, and Hector can come off the bench, if needed. If X or Shark can step up for a couple of games, that's a pretty strong lineup, bench, and bullpen. The only caveat I can think of off the top of my head is Timmy needs to start in a clean inning, i.e. no men on base.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

C -- MVP, Chez3

I don't think there's any doubt that both of them make the playoff roster.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
San Francisco Giants 2012 Batting / Hitting Statistics - ESPN

Arias has shat the bed in September (that's the split for the link), while Theriot has not.

Bochy likes his vets - could be an interesting call.

Hypothetically, if it came down to those two (which I don't think it will), I'd take Arias. Better on D, can play 3B, SS, and 2B better or close to the starters in those positions. And, while not a professional hitter like Theriot, seems to do well coming off the bench and when coming in as an emergency starter. I'd worry about the Gods being a little miffed, though. They do seem to like The Riot.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's going to be pegs. That's who I'd choose. And I agree with Bochy, you only need 11 pitchers, and that means Vogey or Timmy goes to long relief.

Regarding that last question, I'd be bold and put Timmy in the bullpen. That way Posey unquestionably catches every game, you got pick at 1B in every game, and Hector can come off the bench, if needed. If X or Shark can step up for a couple of games, that's a pretty strong lineup, bench, and bullpen. The only caveat I can think of off the top of my head is Timmy needs to start in a clean inning, i.e. no men on base.

Hector will catch Zito in a 7 game series, but I realize you are talking about the NLDS.

I think in a video game your idea might fly, but in the world of men, and egos, and the press, Mr Double Cy is going to start a game.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hector will catch Zito in a 7 game series, but I realize you are talking about the NLDS.

I think in a video game your idea might fly, but in the world of men, and egos, and the press, Mr Double Cy is going to start a game.

What idea? Zito being left off the playoff roster, even though he is a former cy young award winner, the highest paid player, and three years left on his 127M contract? Yeah, that would never happen in the REAL world of men, and egos, and the press.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What idea? Zito being left off the playoff roster, even though he is a former cy young award winner, the highest paid player, and three years left on his 127M contract? Yeah, that would never happen in the REAL world of men, and egos, and the press.

I hope you're trolling here.

You don't think Lincecum and the press would react differently from 2010, when a very shitty pitcher was asked to stay home (and that same pitcher by all accounts completely manned up and accepted it without complaint)? I don't think the scenarios are comparable.

With how they handled Melky I'm pretty sure I'm right on this. If you really disagree with me...I can never tell when you're being droll.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco Giants 2012 Batting / Hitting Statistics - ESPN

Arias has shat the bed in September (that's the split for the link), while Theriot has not.

Bochy likes his vets - could be an interesting call.

If forced to choose, I'd have to take Arias for his defensive versatility. Riot can really only do 2B as a "good" option. If Scutaro could play 3rd close to Arias' level (which he can't), then I'd take Riot for his situational hitting/ab's. That said.....really, it comes down to this l
l
v

Then I guess my answer is "neither" (because the choice *shouldn't* be between those two).

Yes.

From a strategic standpoint, I'd be all for Timmay being a bullpen guy. He's just not reliable enough right now (decent 2nd half included). That said, I have no idea how much pull he has in the locker room, how much/if he'd sulk and become a distraction, etc. I'm guessing whatever decision Bochy makes on Timmay, will have more to do with team dynamic and past history than this year in a shell. I WOULD however, have zero qualms with Bochy making Timmay start game 4 after Vogey. That sends a message to Timmay without taking the full brunt.....you MAY not get a Postseason start.

All in all, win or lose, just damn excited for playoff baseball. :)

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope you're trolling here.

You don't think Lincecum and the press would react differently from 2010, when a very shitty pitcher was asked to stay home (and that same pitcher by all accounts completely manned up and accepted it without complaint)? I don't think the scenarios are comparable.

With how they handled Melky I'm pretty sure I'm right on this. If you really disagree with me...I can never tell when you're being droll.

Real men help the cause. Sure, they may grumble and bitch about it, but in the end they suppress the ego and get the job they're tasked to do done. Haven't you seen "Flight of the Phoenix," the original version? Those are real men.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If forced to choose, I'd have to take Arias for his defensive versatility. Riot can really only do 2B as a "good" option. If Scutaro could play 3rd close to Arias' level (which he can't), then I'd take Riot for his situational hitting/ab's. That said.....really, it comes down to this l
l
v

Yes.

From a strategic standpoint, I'd be all for Timmay being a bullpen guy. He's just not reliable enough right now (decent 2nd half included). That said, I have no idea how much pull he has in the locker room, how much/if he'd sulk and become a distraction, etc. I'm guessing whatever decision Bochy makes on Timmay, will have more to do with team dynamic and past history than this year in a shell. I WOULD however, have zero qualms with Bochy making Timmay start game 4 after Vogey. That sends a message to Timmay without taking the full brunt.....you MAY not get a Postseason start.

All in all, win or lose, just damn excited for playoff baseball. :)

This is playoff Bochy, though. How did Pablo respond to being benched in the playoffs? He rededicated himself to his craft the following year. Bottom line, Bochy is a different cat in the playoffs, and the players seem to fall in line with the program. And, I'm not saying Bochy will choose timmy to be in the bullpen, he's already indicated he'll start at least one game, but I'm guessing the decision has everything to do with what Bochy thinks gives the team the best chance to win right now, rather than consideration for clubhouse egos.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is playoff Bochy, though. How did Pablo respond to being benched in the playoffs? He rededicated himself to his craft the following year. Bottom line, Bochy is a different cat in the playoffs, and the players seem to fall in line with the program. And, I'm not saying Bochy will choose timmy to be in the bullpen, he's already indicated he'll start at least one game, but I'm guessing the decision has everything to do with what Bochy thinks gives the team the best chance to win right now, rather than consideration for clubhouse egos.

That's a very good point. Panda is a much better comparable than Zito. Zito had been done with even being a good player for quite some time. Panda was one year removed from an All-Star level player ala Timmay. It'll be interesting to see how Bochy does the order for the starters in the postseason. If Vogey has one more damn good start (poor guy keeps lining up with Kershaw even with all the randomness of Kershaw's injuries/starts), I'd love to see him go #3 in the order and Timmay #4.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's a very good point. Panda is a much better comparable than Zito. Zito had been done with even being a good player for quite some time. Panda was one year removed from a All-Star level player ala Timmay. It'll be interesting to see how Bochy does the order for the starters in the postseason. If Vogey has one more damn good start (poor guy keeps lining up with Kershaw even with all the randomness of Kershaw's injuries/starts), I'd love to see him go #3 in the order and Timmay 4.

Well, Panda doesn't have a Cy Young yet. I just thought it was funny that msgking thinks a former cy young pitcher pitching like shit is never going to get benched by Bochy, when it had already occurred.