• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I just want to make sure I got this right

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskinfan...you seriously doubt that...based on what?? what Kiper, Mayock, and McShay say??? he could very well be rated very highly by Scot...

But the thing is....none of no where he is rated....he may very well be #5.....#9 on Scotts board....we will never know.....there is no way he would come out and say...well we had him at #9 on the board, but felt like he was best at 5.........

But it gets to this....if we take him at 5....some may say we reached becasue of what the "experts" have told us that he is rated lower.....What the hell....these same experts said J Russel was a stud.....They are wrong more then they are right people!!!!

just trust in Scot to make the best decesion he can for the Redskins, based on the knowledge he has, and what his gut tells him......

I will be happy with whoever we get as Im sure any player taken at 5...would not be a 2nd round guy, or a low rated 1st guy....He is going to get who he believes will be a stud for us!!!

Hell...I happy we are finally getting a 1st round pick again!!!

My doubts, I will admit, are based on an educated guesses at who the Redskins are looking at. They aren't, for instance, looking too much at Scherff as they are OLBs and others that are normally in top five convo. That, of course, could be a ruse for a number of reasons. First, Scot may very well be looking into Scherff behind scenes (e.g., having someone else he trusts conduct some due diligence on him). Or he may pull what Shanny did when drafting Jay Cutler. But based on what the Redskins and Scot are doing at least publicly, it appears that Scherff isn't on their radar with the #5 pick.

And I will trust in Scot, as I've said already. What if he believes Fowler is the BPA at #5? Will you back him then?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as always, action speaks louder than words. While you're never going to hear that, you will and have indeed witnessed it.

I really don't believe that people "hate" Bruce Allen, but there comes a time that a person out of his depth will be called out for what he's pretending to be. He is an accountant and has the sheepskin to prove it, not to mention a poor draft history. Let's keep BA in his lane.

You are correct, drafting requires a combination of both, the disagreement comes when the discussion turns to which takes precedence. That decision carries a particular urgency with this team. I personally believe that it comes down to how big a deficiency is at one position vs. another. So, with that in mind Dad, right now, which singular position do you see as the one requiring a fix? Just curious.

o/line and here is why . we have 2 young qbs who need proper protection in order to develop . i believe moses and long are behind murphy in their development

my philosophy for a decade has been you build a team at the LOS 1st on both sides of the ball scherf is the top rated o/lineman and as of now he is a top 10 pick

so with that i believe OG/RT are the bigger needs but that doesnt discount OLB at all

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
o/line and here is why . we have 2 young qbs who need proper protection in order to develop . i believe moses and long are behind murphy in their development

my philosophy for a decade has been you build a team at the LOS 1st on both sides of the ball scherf is the top rated o/lineman and as of now he is a top 10 pick

so with that i believe OG/RT are the bigger needs but that doesnt discount OLB at all
Dad, I don't think any poster on this forum disagrees with you. I surely don't. OL is probably our biggest area of weakness right now. The debate is wether you reach for a OL with you first pick. If Scot has already deemed any OL prospect worthy of a top 5 pick, then so be it. But this theoretical debate is over the wisdom of picking a prospect that doesn't warrant a top 5 pick on his big board solely because of need. Especially since this draft is considered by most as rife with talented OL prospects and you will have opportunity with your later picks to draft talent. History has shown that reaching for a player exponentially increases the probability of the draft becoming a bust.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who said its a reach . we are drafting the best lineman on the board and the 5-9th BPA and thats a reach ? hogwash
he is a pro caliber RT and a parade of one dimentional OLBS doesnt make them better football players

at worst he is a OG but that is at worst not at best which many here seem to forget

we have fowler on this team and his name is murphy , beasley has serious questions in weight and disengaging in blocks , greeg cant stay off drugs and is too thin and ray has no position

now i didnt ask the question redskinsfan did in an attempt to paint me as a need 1st drafter while trying to debunk me

i am being asked who i think the BPA is and i am telling everyone i think its scherf period unless williams drops

redskinsfan dean DGF just dont accept that and perhaps you dont by calling a top 9 rated pick regardless of position as a reach if he is picked a mere 4 spots "early " i say poppycock

i feel murphy is farther along then moses or long hence i see the bigger need as o/line but that doesnt mean i dont feel scherf is the better player

you and others have mis characterized my position . scherf is the BPA of the OLBS in question it isnt a reach it isnt drafting need over BPA it is i feel he IS the BPA

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who said its a reach . we are drafting the best lineman on the board and the 5-9th BPA and thats a reach ? hogwash
he is a pro caliber RT and a parade of one dimentional OLBS doesnt make them better football players

at worst he is a OG but that is at worst not at best which many here seem to forget

we have fowler on this team and his name is murphy , beasley has serious questions in weight and disengaging in blocks , greeg cant stay off drugs and is too thin and ray has no position

now i didnt ask the question redskinsfan did in an attempt to paint me as a need 1st drafter while trying to debunk me

i am being asked who i think the BPA is and i am telling everyone i think its scherf period unless williams drops

redskinsfan dean DGF just dont accept that and perhaps you dont by calling a top 9 rated pick regardless of position as a reach if he is picked a mere 4 spots "early " i say poppycock

i feel murphy is farther along then moses or long hence i see the bigger need as o/line but that doesnt mean i dont feel scherf is the better player

you and others have mis characterized my position . scherf is the BPA of the OLBS in question it isnt a reach it isnt drafting need over BPA it is i feel he IS the BPA

I have said this almost a million times now. The fact that he actually fits a need is just more justification for making the pick and not trading down. Now if we fleece the Browns, fine. But if we trade down and pick up an extra 4th and all of a sudden we are getting the guy who is less talented... I dont find it a fair trade off.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I actually agree with all of that. :)

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OMG. Hate to use that terminology but it is a reach if you're forfeiting the value measured as the difference between the picks. Lost opportunity cost. Look it up.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said this was a theoretical debate, I have no idea if he is a reach or not. But you contradict yourself. First you say he is a pro caliber RT and later you say he is at worst NFL G. Therein lies my concern based on the research I have read on the guy. There are questions if he can play RT. Even you must have them. So given the apparent fact that there are questions about his projection into the NFL and he may have to learn a new position (which may or may not work), why risk it if he is a consensus draft pick above 5? It's not like we don't have other holes that can be filled.

So now you are arguing if 4 slots is a reach. Ok. So what is a reach? 5 slot? 7? 10? No one can answer that question definitively as it is all subjective. So I guess I don't understand why you get all bent out of shape because another feels 4 slots is a reach?

Finally, I'm not mischaracterizing you position because I haven't characterized your position (until now). In fact, based on your statement above, I agree with it. If Scot feels Schreff is the BPA at 5, I'm fine with it. He clearly know much more about this player specifically and talent evaluation in general than I ever will. My confusion is if he has Schreff slotted above 5, why the desperation to artificially move him up and pass on other talent that we will need who are considered better players by Scot. It's not like Schreff is the only OL in tis draft with a first round grade. There are atleast 6 that grade out as first round talent and not all 6 will be taken in the first round. Which means there is a real possibility that we will have a shot at them with our second pick.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but say they are not closely rated. Say the QB is considered a top ten pick, and the DT was ranked on their big board as nine slots lower... do you think they should take the BPA knowing that the only way this guy even gets onto the field is if all hell breaks loose and the season is lost in any case. They have players ranked better than the DT, but the drop from the #2 who is a LT they dont need and the DT is about 4 draft slots.... do you take the QB who is your BPA

well there are always teams needing a QB
I said this was a theoretical debate, I have no idea if he is a reach or not. But you contradict yourself. First you say he is a pro caliber RT and later you say he is at worst NFL G. Therein lies my concern based on the research I have read on the guy. There are questions if he can play RT. Even you must have them. So given the apparent fact that there are questions about his projection into the NFL and he may have to learn a new position (which may or may not work), why risk it if he is a consensus draft pick above 5? It's not like we don't have other holes that can be filled.

So now you are arguing if 4 slots is a reach. Ok. So what is a reach? 5 slot? 7? 10? No one can answer that question definitively as it is all subjective. So I guess I don't understand why you get all bent out of shape because another feels 4 slots is a reach?

Finally, I'm not mischaracterizing you position because I haven't characterized your position (until now). In fact, based on your statement above, I agree with it. If Scot feels Schreff is the BPA at 5, I'm fine with it. He clearly know much more about this player specifically and talent evaluation in general than I ever will. My confusion is if he has Schreff slotted above 5, why the desperation to artificially move him up and pass on other talent that we will need who are considered better players by Scot. It's not like Schreff is the only OL in tis draft with a first round grade. There are atleast 6 that grade out as first round talent and not all 6 will be taken in the first round. Which means there is a real possibility that we will have a shot at them with our second pick.

No I'm pretty sure there are questions about him at LT he will be a stud at RT

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why are so many projecting him as a G in the NFL? Tackles are more valuable and harder to find.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why are so many projecting him as a G in the NFL? Tackles are more valuable and harder to find.

Because some speculate that while he might be a very good RT, and a decent LT... he would be All Pro at Guard for a very long time. Its basically called a worst case scenario. Its the same reason why some of the top guards in the draft end up sliding to the 5-7 round or go undrafted. Basically this guys floor is as a very good ( read as likely pro bowl and probably all pro guard), his ceiling is mid to high LT. Its called hedging ones bet.

For the record most thought trent Williams would be best served moving to RT. Most also thought Jake Matthews best position might even be center. Mind you they have the exact same arm length, Scherff out weighs him by 17 lbs going into the draft, and Sherff has 2" in hand size on him.

And Matthews went 6th over all last year.

Just saying.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because some speculate that while he might be a very good RT, and a decent LT... he would be All Pro at Guard for a very long time. Its basically called a worst case scenario. Its the same reason why some of the top guards in the draft end up sliding to the 5-7 round or go undrafted. Basically this guys floor is as a very good ( read as likely pro bowl and probably all pro guard), his ceiling is mid to high LT. Its called hedging ones bet.

For the record most thought trent Williams would be best served moving to RT. Most also thought Jake Matthews best position might even be center. Mind you they have the exact same arm length, Scherff out weighs him by 17 lbs going into the draft, and Sherff has 2" in hand size on him.

And Matthews went 6th over all last year.

Just saying.
Sorry shark, but that's just not right. They question if he has the mobility to handle the speed edge rushers. I realize you disagree, but even you know the criticism that is being applied to the guy, warranted or not.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry shark, but that's just not right. They question if he has the mobility to handle the speed edge rushers. I realize you disagree, but even you know the criticism that is being applied to the guy, warranted or not.

You do realize he played the entire season on a knee that he never rehabbed right?? 48 hours after he got it scoped this kid was back on the field and NEVER missed a game last year. Despite having what was considered a DOWN year for him, he is generally considered the best O-lineman in the 2015 draft. Before the knee injury the question was, would this kid be the first over all pick in the 2015 draft. So no Im sorry, the criticism really isnt warranted. I do suspect that the Giants and Rams are both likely hoping he is there at 9 or 10.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize he played the entire season on a knee that he never rehabbed right?? 48 hours after he got it scoped this kid was back on the field and NEVER missed a game last year. Despite having what was considered a DOWN year for him, he is generally considered the best O-lineman in the 2015 draft. Before the knee injury the question was, would this kid be the first over all pick in the 2015 draft. So no Im sorry, the criticism really isnt warranted. I do suspect that the Giants and Rams are both likely hoping he is there at 9 or 10.
It's not my evaluation, shark. I'm just telling you what some of the so called experts are saying, including some NFL GMs.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not my evaluation, shark. I'm just telling you what some of the so called experts are saying, including some NFL GMs.

Honestly if its me, I wait for the phone to ring when the 5th pick comes up. If its Chicago or Atlanta I pick up the phone, the only way I deal with the Giants is if they are after a pass rusher. And I stick the screws to them on the deal just in case. If its any one past that, it has to be an offer I cant refuse.

Other wise I take him at 5, give him first crack to compete for RT and failing that, he gets first crack at RG Chester takes the long bus ride and I dont look back.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly if its me, I wait for the phone to ring when the 5th pick comes up. If its Chicago or Atlanta I pick up the phone, the only way I deal with the Giants is if they are after a pass rusher. And I stick the screws to them on the deal just in case. If its any one past that, it has to be an offer I cant refuse.

Other wise I take him at 5, give him first crack to compete for RT and failing that, he gets first crack at RG Chester takes the long bus ride and I dont look back.

The phone is only going to ring if either Mariota or Williams are available when its our turn. I don't see either of them still being there. That means Scot is going to have to pick up the phone and try and engineer a trade. Which probably means we won't get full value as we are force fitting a trade back.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The phone is only going to ring if either Mariota or Williams are available when its our turn. I don't see either of them still being there. That means Scot is going to have to pick up the phone and try and engineer a trade. Which probably means we won't get full value as we are force fitting a trade back.

Exactly... in which case I take Scherff and dont try and get cute.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The phone will ring if Cooper is there as well. I'm reading that San Francisco loves the guy. What about teams in that 7 to 10 range that have Scherff in their sights? The phone could ring for him as well.

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The phone will ring if Cooper is there as well. I'm reading that San Francisco loves the guy.

And like I said, it would have to be an offer we couldnt refuse. Like multiple first rounders, and some ones virgin daughter better be on the table to drop back ten spots.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And like I said, it would have to be an offer we couldnt refuse. Like multiple first rounders, and some ones virgin daughter better be on the table to drop back ten spots.

Yep a deal like that is gonna take a lot, but this is DC we're talking about, so if the deal incudes somebody's virgin daughter one thing will be certain........Someone is gonna get screwed!!! :)