• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I guess the Selection Committee got it right.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No WT...the polls don't work. Bama and FSU losing proves this.

I don't see your point two games were played and 2 teams were going to lose no matter who played. You might argue that FSU didn't belong but no undefeated team from a power conference is ever going to be left out. You can't even play the conference champions only card because all of them were.

There simply is not another formula that would have changed the four that got in unless you replaced tOSU with TCU and the games proved that would have been wrong. TCU should have been in instead of FSU but no way could you make that change before the games were played. FSU was an undefeated 2013 national champion with the longest win streak in the country they were in no matter what you did. The fact the polls dropped them to 3rd (where in the BCS era they would have been 1 more than likely) is an indication that the polls did work the best that they possibly can.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone here keeps saying TCU should of been, but it if OSU is not taken then the only other choice is the Big 12 champion, Baylor.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you schedule tougher? Alabama, OSU, Oregon, TCU, Baylor, FSU, etc.. can only play so many games per year and other teams are up and down from year to year.

Look at how the polls reflect what is aired by espn and we know that Jisney invested heavily into the SEC and Texas. As of right now, Jisney's ROW (Return On Investment) is not so good. After a couple years of the 4 team Playoff, it should expand to 8 teams but only if no more two teams per conference get in <---- only because the Big XII could have one undefeated and 8 one loss teams or 10 one loss teams (slim chance but not impossible).

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
The think what we learned this year is that 8 teams is needed. Everyone is trying to retrofit ideas to explain or justify the decisions, but the truth is the committee did not get it right. Clearly Bama was not the 1 seed, maybe they were not a top 4 team. Perhaps FSU did not belong or TCU is one of the best 4. I am sure that I do not know the answers with 100% accuracy, like many of you do. That is why I think expansion is needed, because there just are not enough inter-conference games to make intelligent decisions with a high level of confidence

I'm fine with that but to do it we would need to eliminate conference championship games (which I'm fine with) as part of the process because they are pointless with a field of 8 and the teams don't need to play 16 games.

This isn't going to happen for at least a decade before a change would be made though so I would get used to the 4 team playoff it is here to stay for now.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see your point two games were played and 2 teams were going to lose no matter who played. You might argue that FSU didn't belong but no undefeated team from a power conference is ever going to be left out. You can't even play the conference champions only card because all of them were.

There simply is not another formula that would have changed the four that got in unless you replaced tOSU with TCU and the games proved that would have been wrong. TCU should have been in instead of FSU but no way could you make that change before the games were played. FSU was an undefeated 2013 national champion with the longest win streak in the country they were in no matter what you did. The fact the polls dropped them to 3rd (where in the BCS era they would have been 1 more than likely) is an indication that the polls did work the best that they possibly can.

that is quite different than saying the polls and playoffs worked. OSU beating Bama proved nothing about the argument between OSU and TCU. You have to assume that OSU would beat TCU to say "you replaced tOSU with TCU and the games proved that would have been wrong". We still do not know which team would win if they played. That has been my pt.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but look at miss st. Similar horrible schedule. Without loss to bama they would have been given playoff spot.

If they would've beaten Bama, yes they would have. But that's adding a top 5 win. Replace the Bama loss with a win over Vanderbilt, and I'm not so sure they do.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But if the BCS had selected who was playing in the NC game, many believe it would have been FSU vs Bama. That's the first point.

What we discovered yesterday was:

Bama was not the one seed.

FSU ... well I'm not sure what to say about FSU. But the ass whooping they took yells they didn't belong in a four team playoff.

Which brings me to if FSU didn't belong...who should have gotten in instead?

It's why I am for the 8 team playoff. There's not enough of a cross section between the conferences to provide a scientific answer. It's a guess and makes a person wonder about the year LSU and Bama played for the NC.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with that but to do it we would need to eliminate conference championship games (which I'm fine with) as part of the process because they are pointless with a field of 8 and the teams don't need to play 16 games.

This isn't going to happen for at least a decade before a change would be made though so I would get used to the 4 team playoff it is here to stay for now.

You can, but lets not go there. NCAA has added a game about every 10-15 years. AThletes have never been a part of the equation. In the end 4 teams will play and additional game and 2 will play 2 extra. Personally, I would like larger playoff and no bowls. That would decrease the amount of games for about 50 teams.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if the BCS had selected who was playing in the NC game, many believe it would have been FSU vs Bama. That's the first point.

FSU ... well I'm not sure what to say about FSU. But the ass whooping they took yells they didn't belong in a four team playoff.

It's why I am for the 8 team playoff. There's not enough of a cross section between the conferences to provide a scientific answer. It's a guess and makes a person wonder about the year LSU and Bama played for the NC.

There is a difference in arguments here, one argument is that the committee got it right with the four teams they selected for the playoff. The other argument is that an eight team playoff is better than a four team playoff, which I think many would agree with that, but that didn't happen this year.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. The polls did not work during the BCS but the BCS doesn't exist anymore why are you stuck on that? If FSU and Alabama had played for the national championship you would be 100% correct but they didn't so move into 2014 please.

2. Seeding doesn't matter in my mind just getting the top 4 in is the goal everything else works itself out.

3. FSU didn't belong AFTER THE GAMES WERE PLAYED but before no one would have argued they should be there.

4. 8 teams would be better but that isn't the system we are under so left what we have the system and polls worked.

Think about this way under a 2 two, 4 team or 8 team system FSU was in no way you could leave them out. It sucks TCU got left out but lost to Baylor (who really is the Big 12 Champion BTW), played a harder OOC schedule and not almost gotten beaten by WV.

The system worked as best it could as did the polls. If you want an 8 team playoff fine (I agree) but it is a different argument.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a difference in arguments here, one argument is that the committee got it right with the four teams they selected for the playoff. The other argument is that an eight team playoff is better than a four team playoff, which I think many would agree with that, but that didn't happen this year.

yeah and I don't get why so many are stuck on BCS era thought processes when they are not remotely relevant anymore.

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Oregon & Bama were no-brainers.

OSU proved they belong.

In retrospect, TCU was probably better than FSU, BUT you can't exclude the defending champs who go 13-0 in a Power5 conference, right? So there was nothing else to do.

Actually it didn't matter if Ohio St beat Bama or not. They finished the season beating the #13 team in the country 59-0. That remove the decision form the committee's hands. There was no decision to be made after the 59-0 slaughter of the #13 team in the country.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the way FSU got curb stomped in the second half...It's hard to say they belonged. But like WT said, how do you leave them out.

:noidea:

I just don't know.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone here keeps saying TCU should of been, but it if OSU is not taken then the only other choice is the Big 12 champion, Baylor.

I think they were deserving...but people forget the Baylor passed them in the final poll too. All 6 of those top 6 teams were worthy of getting in but there were only 4 spots. 2 fanbases were going to be bitter.

No matter how big they expand the playoffs, the teams left out are going to be upset. My biggest beef with the current system is that it automatically excludes at least 1 "power" conference champ, and maybe excludes 2 if ND gets in the mix. Its a better system than the one before it, but there's still room for improvement.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The polls did not work during the BCS but the BCS doesn't exist anymore why are you stuck on that? If FSU and Alabama had played for the national championship you would be 100% correct but they didn't so move into 2014 please.

2. Seeding doesn't matter in my mind just getting the top 4 in is the goal everything else works itself out.

3. FSU didn't belong AFTER THE GAMES WERE PLAYED but before no one would have argued they should be there.

4. 8 teams would be better but that isn't the system we are under so left what we have the system and polls worked.

Think about this way under a 2 two, 4 team or 8 team system FSU was in no way you could leave them out. It sucks TCU got left out but lost to Baylor (who really is the Big 12 Champion BTW), played a harder OOC schedule and not almost gotten beaten by WV.

The system worked as best it could as did the polls. If you want an 8 team playoff fine (I agree) but it is a different argument.

Fair enough man. :suds:

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way FSU got curb stomped in the second half...It's hard to say they belonged. But like WT said, how do you leave them out.

I just don't know.

Hindsight is 20/20.

They are the last team to be left out because of their undefeated record.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you schedule tougher? Alabama, OSU, Oregon, TCU, Baylor, FSU, etc.. can only play so many games per year and other teams are up and down from year to year.

Look at how the polls reflect what is aired by espn and we know that Jisney invested heavily into the SEC and Texas. As of right now, Jisney's ROW (Return On Investment) is not so good. After a couple years of the 4 team Playoff, it should expand to 8 teams but only if no more two teams per conference get in <---- only because the Big XII could have one undefeated and 8 one loss teams or 10 one loss teams (slim chance but not impossible).

Wait...wut??

I know you mean mathematically, but that's just so unlikely, and based almost entirely on the suckitude of the Jayhawks.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottomline what happen yesterday was superior to the BCS system and great for college football. So in that respect we were all winners yesterday and this season has been a blast for me even though my team fell short of expectations (I got a new an improved DC out of the deal so in a way I'm good).

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't know.

I agree, they couldn't have been left out. I also think, if FSU had a loss, going in, they would not have been in. They played like shit all year, just somehow came back and won every game.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottomline what happen yesterday was superior to the BCS system and great for college football. So in that respect we were all winners yesterday and this season has been a blast for me even though my team fell short of expectations (I got a new an improved DC out of the deal so in a way I'm good).

Very well said.