• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slay can't be worse

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bentley has played in 6 games. Hardly enough time to truly evaluate him. This is basically his rookie season. He had a good game against Minnesota and then a poor game against the Cards. Pretty typical to have ups and downs in what essentially is his rookie season.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, this is like Obama still blaming Bush for his problems.

In season 4... 4 wins, NFL teams go from worst to first in 1 season! Let alone 4 and we are still picking top 5 in the draft? Ridiculous!

I make no excuses for last season but to compare numbers when he took over an 0-16 team doesn't tell the whole story.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has done an average job at best. I don't like Schwartz, Linnehan, or Cunningham. I think they are more of the issue when you consider what type of talent is on this roster today.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I make no excuses for last season but to compare numbers when he took over an 0-16 team doesn't tell the whole story.

I'm not trying to pin it on Mayhew alone but his results speaks for itself. The fact that CJ and Stafford can laugh it up with Cardinals after suffering a back breaking loss is weak. They don't care about winning. I saw Manning in week 1, after throwing his 7th TD pass visibly pissed off cause of the defensive player who dropped the TD. Even when he is up 20 points! That is why he has his team contending for championships every year. The Lions don't really care about W/L outside of Suh.

To me it's just the Lions undisciplined attitude. Any team that wants to play for a Super Bowl would find a way to win that game. Watch the Texans play week in and week out. That is a team that is on a mission, always trying to find a way to win.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to pin it on Mayhew alone but his results speaks for itself. The fact that CJ and Stafford can laugh it up with Cardinals after suffering a back breaking loss is weak. They don't care about winning. I saw Manning in week 1, after throwing his 7th TD pass visibly pissed off cause of the defensive player who dropped the TD. Even when he is up 20 points! That is why he has his team contending for championships every year. The Lions don't really care about W/L outside of Suh.

To me it's just the Lions undisciplined attitude. Any team that wants to play for a Super Bowl would find a way to win that game. Watch the Texans play week in and week out. That is a team that is on a mission, always trying to find a way to win.

I attribute that to the coaching staff. I believe Stafford is a true competitor and does want to win. Chopping it up with the opposing players after the game shouldn't suggest otherwise.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I attribute that to the coaching staff. I believe Stafford is a true competitor and does want to win. Chopping it up with the opposing players after the game shouldn't suggest otherwise.

Just wondering who they were talking with? Old team mates, maybe probowlers together? Many guys talk after games. I agree with LP. I do not read too much into that.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey GVSU, go fuck yourself.

I was on a DII team for a hot minute. Never played in a game, so can't say I "played" college ball... but I was on a team for right around 15 months.

Don't really see what that has to do with anything though? I learned a lot, but it was pretty position-specific stuff. I've learned far more since then about both sides of the from reading everything I can find...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering who they were talking with?
CJ was shown laughing it up with Peterson after the game. I was initially pissed off seeing this b/c we just lost a heartbreaker of a game where our offense was absolutel shit for the last 30 minutes. The last thing I wanted to see was CJ acting as if it didn't fucking matter.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth I can vouch that Quacker was indeed a college ball player. That or he's spent a ton of time putting together a very convincing cover story with all of the pics to back it up only to post once every couple weeks... I'll go with the former. Doesn't make him the end-all-be-all authority, but when it comes to the back seven on defense he's got more experience than the rest of us. That counts for something in my book.

You get a completely different appreciation for what the players see/do on the field when you're breaking down hours and hours of film. It's hard to appreciate just how easy it is to make a mistake until you've been there and have experienced coaches explaining where you went wrong. One false step, one little hesitation is the difference between a TD or a sack, or a pick six vs. a long catch.

That's why with guys like Bentley it's best to take it easy and give them some time before closing the book on them. DBs especially, since they just don't come into the league ready to be stars. CB is the hardest position to play in the NFL given all the rules to help an offense, so writing young DBs off too quickly is a big mistake...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't like seeing Staff laughing after the game. I wanted to see him breaking Bell and Pettigrews hands.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Roto:

Lions CB Rashean Mathis is expected to start ahead of rookie Darius Slay this week against the Redskins.

Slay has started each of the first two weeks, but he was worked by Jerome Simpson in Week 1. The second-round rookie was benched by coach Jim Schwartz in both games.

Becoming hard to blame Schwartz when Mayhew is incapable of handing him even one decent 2nd round pick.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Roto:

Lions CB Rashean Mathis is expected to start ahead of rookie Darius Slay this week against the Redskins.

Slay has started each of the first two weeks, but he was worked by Jerome Simpson in Week 1. The second-round rookie was benched by coach Jim Schwartz in both games.

Becoming hard to blame Schwartz when Mayhew is incapable of handing him even one decent 2nd round pick.
Wai, wai, wait a minute bro. We're calling Slay a bust already after 2 games? I just wanna clarify for the masses.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wai, wai, wait a minute bro. We're calling Slay a bust already after 2 games? I just wanna clarify for the masses.

I was going to post the same thing -- rookie DBs take their lumps. Some pick it up faster than others, but they have to learn what is and isn't allowed in the NFL and get acclimated to the speed of every WR they face.

Slay has shown he has ability, but he has made some mental mistakes which can be easily corrected.

I'm guessing the coaches have a really long leash for DBs, as Bentley continues to be put on the field. 1 pass defensed and 9 PI's in 6 games and still getting playing time -- I'm thinking Slay will be back playing again this week.

I like that they benched him for the mistakes -- it will only make him more conscious and aware. It isn't as if he is the only rookie DB getting benched. Milliner was benched by the Jets too.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is along the same lines as Warford didn't start the first preseason game so he is a bust argument that was made on this board earlier.