• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sims, Jones, Mosley, Palmer, Hilliard, Owens, and Leshoure.........

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They account for approx $10.7m of cap space if cut or traded. We will need to find some cap relief to retain our own FA's and/or target other FA's. What would you do?

(Numbers are net of dead $ on contracts)
Sims $2.575m
Jones $2.0m
Mosley $1.55m
Palmer $1.25m
Hilliard $1.3m
Owens $1.25m
Leshoure $850m

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Leshoure and Sims. I know the idea of trading Sims may be controversial but he will be an UFA after this season and seems to me as expensive for his level of play.

I keep Hilliard, Owens, and Jones. Hilliard is versatile as a backup in both the T and G role and Owens fills in nicely as the fourth RB and as a four spot special teamer. We need 4 DE's and if we can resign Young we have that.

I am not opposed to keeping Palmer but the space we could save is more enticing than I originally thought when I first evaluated him. I feel similarly about Mosley. Can't help but wonder what that extra $2.8m from those two guys could get us.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They account for approx $10.7m of cap space if cut or traded. We will need to find some cap relief to retain our own FA's and/or target other FA's. What would you do?

(Numbers are net of dead $ on contracts)
Sims $2.575m
Jones $2.0m
Mosley $1.55m
Palmer $1.25m
Hilliard $1.3m
Owens $1.25m
Leshoure $850m

These guys are all solid contributors with low cap hits aside from leshoure. He is so cheap it's worth keeping him as injury insurance.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys are all solid contributors with low cap hits aside from leshoure. He is so cheap it's worth keeping him as injury insurance.

The actual cap hits are higher at $14.8m. I posted the amount of space the Lions would net.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my mistake. I'd have to see what they are making and how much we'd save to determine what I think should happen with them.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still like to know why LeShoure is a healthy scratch every week. Yet has never been cut or traded. What are the plans with him? Guy goes from money inside the 5 to doghouse. Just wonder had he been playing in Eagles game that downhill running style doesn't fumble in redzone. I guess trade if you can get something for a guy you do not even play.

Owens is a keeper for ST play alone.
Mosely and Palmers value could be found cheaper.
Devin Taylor seems he might be starter material so Jones and rotational guy is out there for cheaper.
Hilliard is versatile and makes value to keep him.
Sims is hard for me to let go. Are they getting a proven center or a young kid? I might want him next to new guy until 2015 is here.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like keeping Jones and Hilliard. Both very good versatile players. Jones will change to a situational player, but can rotate at both DE and DT. We really need a better DT to rotate in. Suh and Fairly get tired late and Fluellen just does not cut it. Mosely did not live up to expectations before the injury.

Sims looks to me like he is losing a step. Has not played anywhere near as well this year. I didn't think he was old enough to be having problems yet. Not sure what to make of it.

The rest can be let go or not. Wont matter to me. There are players out there just as good.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would trading Sims be a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would trading Sims be a good idea?

I don't think he played particularly well this season and is very much a middle of the pack player amongst NFL guards. He isn't a bad player by any means but I don't see him as difficult to replace at all.

He will be an UFA at the end of this season so retaining him (even if we wanted to) might be difficult but also expensive. He carries a $3.775m cap hit in 2014 and despite having some dead money left on his deal the Lions would save $2.55m and potentially get another draft pick if he were traded.

Rodney Austin might be ready to step into that role, there will be other veteran G's available that may cost a fair amount less, or we could possibly draft another guy like Warford.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he played particularly well this season and is very much a middle of the pack player amongst NFL guards. He isn't a bad player by any means but I don't see him as difficult to replace at all.

He will be an UFA at the end of this season so retaining him (even if we wanted to) might be difficult but also expensive. He carries a $3.775m cap hit in 2014 and despite having some dead money left on his deal the Lions would save $2.55m and potentially get another draft pick if he were traded.

Rodney Austin might be ready to step into that role, there will be other veteran G's available that may cost a fair amount less, or we could possibly draft another guy like Warford.

Sims had a great year and Larry Warfords do not fall from the sky :L .
The O-line is the best I've ever seen it and you want to blow it up crazy :rollseyes:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see breaking up chemistry they had. As I stated earlier. Most likely new center. Keep him there with Warford to help new C. This Oline impressed with no time together. Keep a strength a strength, do not weaken it.

Only thing that concerns me with young line. Only saw about 6-7 games. Did the Lions have quick release plays to help the Oline?? Might this have hurt Stafford some with making wrong reads due to not having time to read progressions? What did you guys see??? Seems I saw a shitton of slants...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford was getting rid of the ball fast for sure.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford was getting rid of the ball fast for sure.
Ehh, not every play. I saw many times the O-line held up damn well. I think they did a solid job this year. Improved running game as well. Bush and Bell many times had huge holes to run through.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two questions: Why don't you think he played well this season? #2 What type of draft pick would we be looking at in exchange for a veteran gaurd who is being discussed as a good option to cut? (Ravioli fucking sucks, Sims is the only other guy with significant experience.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see breaking up chemistry they had. As I stated earlier. Most likely new center. Keep him there with Warford to help new C. This Oline impressed with no time together. Keep a strength a strength, do not weaken it.

Only thing that concerns me with young line. Only saw about 6-7 games. Did the Lions have quick release plays to help the Oline?? Might this have hurt Stafford some with making wrong reads due to not having time to read progressions? What did you guys see??? Seems I saw a shitton of slants...

Saw an abundance of slants early on, when they won games. Hasn't seemed to be as frequent of route the last six to eight games, IMO. (I actually like the slant pass in our current situation. Not so much on the out routes.). Early on in the season I saw the slant as a crutch, but it wasn't the OLine that brought it out. (CJs longest reception was off a slant.)

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two questions: Why don't you think he played well this season? #2 What type of draft pick would we be looking at in exchange for a veteran gaurd who is being discussed as a good option to cut? (Ravioli fucking sucks, Sims is the only other guy with significant experience.)

He got beat a lot even though many didn't result in sacks. He also seemed to have a lot of penalties late in the year although I have not seen any official numbers. He also got away with a lot of holding penalties that were not called. I am waiting to hear what the story is behind it first. He was always a solid performer and it does not make sense for him to drop off so fast at his age.

Conversely, you keep saying Raiola sucks, but he actually had a fine season. He was not sitting in Staffords lap every play for the first time in years and will probably grade out in the top half of NFL Centers. Still he is old now and we should have his replacement ready sooner rather than later.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those guys have trade value and imo all will be gone. Cut Nate too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw an abundance of slants early on, when they won games. Hasn't seemed to be as frequent of route the last six to eight games, IMO. (I actually like the slant pass in our current situation. Not so much on the out routes.). Early on in the season I saw the slant as a crutch, but it wasn't the OLine that brought it out. (CJs longest reception was off a slant.)

Linehan calls slants because the o line blows, and Stafford can't drop back and read the field behind them because he has no time.

Just unreal that anyone can defend a coaching staff that regularly went for it on 3rd and 1 from the shotgun. Oh wait it must be the QB's throwing motion. Can't possibly be the fucking retarded play calling.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linehan calls slants because the o line blows, and Stafford can't drop back and read the field behind them because he has no time.

Just unreal that anyone can defend a coaching staff that regularly went for it on 3rd and 1 from the shotgun. Oh wait it must be the QB's throwing motion. Can't possibly be the fucking retarded play calling.

If this OLine blows Bush should get his HOF speech ready. 4.7 YPC with a line that blows is more than impressive. (Bell is only 3.9 but he's a scrub so that's not too shabby either.). Hitting the 1000 yard mark would be a bit of a milestone also. Is there anything Stafford does shittilly that you don't blame on the coaching staff?