• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Siemian named starter

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On draft day I though DEN made a great move to get a future QB, but based on the analysts comments, it might take them a few years to get him up to NFL good.

Ideally you'd like to see Lynch in the same system as LY, so it's not totally a shock Siemian won the job again.

I agree with post #6...Coach obviously feels like Siemian gives them the best chance to win right now...is he good enough to retain the position all season? IDT so...at some point Paxton will be called on this year, during that time he will either sink or swim...I don't expect Elway will give him a very long leash.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't do it Randy.

His wife will leave him. She already has a hard enough time accepting his love for the draft.. If she finds out he has a gambling problem on sports internet message boards it may put her over the top.

Save Carl!!!
:agree:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is crazy is in 2015 we were 30th in 3 and outs in 2015 and won the SB. 29th in 2016.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is crazy is in 2015 we were 30th in 3 and outs in 2015 and won the SB. 29th in 2016.
I believe it was other way around. Thought I recently heard Denver offense ranked # 2 in 3 + outs last year. ?????

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say our depth was the big difference between the 2015 and the 2016 season. I think our DL would have been fine if Vance Walker hadn't gone down with injury. We lost him and then Wolfe went down for a while and a couple of other DL guys. Then our ILB's went down with injury to where we had to play both backups for a while. We just didn't have the depth to cover up the loss of those players. And throw in then the depth played a big role in giving our starters some rest. Von Miller for example because of some hits to depth ended up playing about 100 extra snaps compared to the year before. Corey Nelson went from playing like 5% of the snaps to having to play close to 50% of the snaps on defense because of injuries.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@cdumler7 Add to that the total collapse of the run game - and the 3 and out offensive rhythm - magnifying every weakness in the Bronco's front 7 on D.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@cdumler7 Add to that the total collapse of the run game - and the 3 and out offensive rhythm - magnifying every weakness in the Bronco's front 7 on D.

That definitely did not help. And I'm sure the constant weight of knowing for the team to win the game the defense has to play perfect didn't help either. It was easy to see that 2 years of that same problem boiled over for that defense.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is valid. The Broncos were 28th against the run overall but 18th against the run in yards per carry. While 18th still isn't great it's serviceable. This disparity is indicative of teams committing to the run because they knew they could. Plus it helped them avoid having to pass against this defense.

Let's say the defensive line turns in a similar ranking in yards per carry but the offense is actually staying on the field, chewing up clock and replacing some of those 3 and outs with TDs, FGs, and if nothing else a few minutes of possession and after a punt a better field for the defense to defend. I think in this scenario we'll see the overall ranking against the run return to the middle of the pack again because teams won't be able to just keep running it the way they were able to last year. If the offense elevates itself to an even average level of production it is going to force the issue on teams running as much as they did last year.

I've been saying it all off season: Elevated O-line play will result in elevated QB play (regardless of the starter) and elevated RB production. This results in elevated offensive production as a unit, which helps the defense because it takes pressure off of them and changes the game dynamic for the opponent.

This team was very close to reaching the playoffs anyway last year, despite a woeful offense and broken run defense. Imagine, even with what appears to be a tough slate, what they can do if the offense is decent and the run defense is mid-tier or even top-10.

I think we're about to find out.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent - @iknowftbll - I always appreciate your thoughtful pearls of observation.