• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't upset me, it just made you look like a fool, talking about a conference (PAC 12) that you know nothing about. If fact you know very little about the ACC.

If it didn't upset you then why did you post a defensive reply?

And you have absolutely no idea how much I know about the ACC, but I can promise you it's more than a little. And when I want to know more all I have to do is pick up the phone and call someone who's been involved with the ACC since before there was an ACC.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of agree, but is there really much of a difference between playing Kent State or Youngstown State? I mean I guess theoretically Kent State has "better talent" and more depth with FBS scholarship rules. But the outcome is generally about the same regardless.

I'd like the see P5 schools be required to play 2 OOC games against other P5 schools.

There are 252 teams that play either FBS or FCS football. Something like ~130 of those teams are FBS. Something like 60 of those teams are P5.

Using Sagarin's ratings, the P5 schools range in ranking from #1 to #157. The median (ish) ranking for the P5 teams is 35.

The G5 schools range from #16 to #200. The median (ish) ranking for the G5 schools is 103. (This is about a 68 spot drop off).

The FBS schools range from #41 to #252. The median (ish) ranking for FCS schools is 194. (This is about a 91 spot drop off from G5 and 159 point drop off from P5). (*cough* Mercer is ranked #149 as a reference)

If P5 schools could no longer schedule FCS teams, their opponent would be on average about 91 spots more challenging.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 252 teams that play either FBS or FCS football. Something like ~130 of those teams are FBS. Something like 60 of those teams are P5.

Using Sagarin's ratings, the P5 schools range in ranking from #1 to #157. The median (ish) ranking for the P5 teams is 35.

The G5 schools range from #16 to #200. The median (ish) ranking for the G5 schools is 103. (This is about a 68 spot drop off).

The FBS schools range from #41 to #252. The median (ish) ranking for FCS schools is 194. (This is about a 91 spot drop off from G5 and 159 point drop off from P5). (*cough* Mercer is ranked #149 as a reference)

If P5 schools could no longer schedule FCS teams, their opponent would be on average about 91 spots more challenging.
That's some pretty good reserach/info right there. Well done. :suds:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because some SoS methods are shitty, all SoS methods are shitty?

Or are you trying to say all SoS methods are equal and should be treated as such because you don't understand them all equally?

Well I'm not stupid when it comes to SoS methods. I've done my own, I know what to look for. Deal with it.

No, I'm saying that all SOS methods, including the one you pick, have inherent flaws, which is why no one uses them as a determinant, only a factor. If you don't see that, you are the stupid one. But hey, you've shown your intellect over a thousand posts. I mean, I drop in from time to time, and then go off to live my life. You're here every day. I'll leave the implications for you to ponder, good friend.

What I've said a dozen times, to which you are obviously impervious (or simply ignoring because I'm right), is that the SEC deliberately cooks the books in the way it schedules. It's math. An 8 game schedule means that the entire conference will have an average of 4 losses. A 9 game schedule means that the average will be 4.5 losses. Then in the 4 remaining OOC games, the SEC follows a consistent pattern, 1 game against a legitimate opponent, and 3 games, usually at home, against teams that statistically are much weaker. Thus, in any of these SOS or other ranking formats, SEC teams come out with higher ratings. The math cannot be denied.

No, the SEC isn't the only group doing it, but they are the most consistent. It obviously works, they landed two of the four teams in the playoff using that format. To deny it simply proves to anyone able to read, that you have shown throughout our dialogue on this and other threads, that you like that advantage just the way it is.

So don't get huffy when it's pointed out to you.:nono:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm saying that all SOS methods, including the one you pick, have inherent flaws, which is why no one uses them as a determinant, only a factor. If you don't see that, you are the stupid one. But hey, you've shown your intellect over a thousand posts. I mean, I drop in from time to time, and then go off to live my life. You're here every day. I'll leave the implications for you to ponder, good friend.
What I've said a dozen times, to which you are obviously impervious (or simply ignoring because I'm right), is that the SEC deliberately cooks the books in the way it schedules. It's math. An 8 game schedule means that the entire conference will have an average of 4 losses. A 9 game schedule means that the average will be 4.5 losses. Then in the 4 remaining OOC games, the SEC follows a consistent pattern, 1 game against a legitimate opponent, and 3 games, usually at home, against teams that statistically are much weaker. Thus, in any of these SOS or other ranking formats, SEC teams come out with higher ratings. The math cannot be denied.

No, the SEC isn't the only group doing it, but they are the most consistent. It obviously works, they landed two of the four teams in the playoff using that format. To deny it simply proves to anyone able to read, that you have shown throughout our dialogue on this and other threads, that you like that advantage just the way it is.

So don't get huffy when it's pointed out to you.:nono:

:lol: Trying to pull the life card. Getting desperate. I have the luxury of being a programmer who works at home, you know - doing "math stuff".

And yes, they aren't all perfect. Alabama's schedule is under-rated, but that's the way it goes. It is however the best and most accurate SoS I have yet to come across and the ones you think matter suck.

Let me try it for you 1 more time. In good SoS ranking formats - the wins and losses DO NOT HAVE AN EFFECT. That is NOT THE MATH that is used because IT'S SIMPLISTIC WITH TONS OF FLAWS. Good methods are WAY MORE COMPLICATED than that.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it didn't upset you then why did you post a defensive reply?

And you have absolutely no idea how much I know about the ACC, but I can promise you it's more than a little. And when I want to know more all I have to do is pick up the phone and call someone who's been involved with the ACC since before there was an ACC.
Fair enough, but my post wasn't a defensive one. I just thought it was a little strange that you would pick out 5 of the 6 teams in the PAC 12 South to rank on, when you could have ranked on 5 out of the 7 in the ACC Coastal.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but my post wasn't a defensive one. I just thought it was a little strange that you would pick out 5 of the 6 teams in the PAC 12 South to rank on, when you could have ranked on 5 out of the 7 in the ACC Coastal.

Probably because five of the six (.833) in the PAC 12 South are hovering around the .500 mark, which is about as average as you can get while only four out of the seven (.571) in the ACC Coastal are making the PAC 12 South the more appropriate comparison.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that so surprising to you.

Michigan has played 11 P5 OOC teams in the last 10 years, identical to Alabama.

Of the 11 games you have played 7 are Notre Dame and 4 are home games. Other than that you have 3 Neutral site games and 5 Home Games(3 are ND)

No wonder you were pissed when Notre Dame shit canned your series, they really cut down the commute on the away games.

OF our 11 games we have 2 Away (Penn St and Duke) 1 at home and 8 Neutral site games.

What is really surprising to me is that you have only played 4 OOC P5 teams other than Notre Dame in 10 years and that the only games you have played more than 3 hours from the big house OOC have been the neutral site contests.

Now if you want to argue the merits of 2 neutrals site games vs a home and home, I am all ears, but if you want to pretend like you guys are frequent flyers, GTFO.

It was a simple question. Don’t get your panties in a bunch. It is humorous for you to say it isn’t a big deal to play a home and home with ND. If that’s the case — why doesn’t Alabama drop the Mercer game and pick up a running series with Clemson. They are only 4 or so hours away from you. Or with anyone for that matter?

FYI — the very first game Harbaugh coached at UM was a road game at Utah. I’m not sure, but I believe that is more than 3 hours away.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because five of the six (.833) in the PAC 12 South are hovering around the .500 mark, which is about as average as you can get while only four out of the seven (.571) in the ACC Coastal are making the PAC 12 South the more appropriate comparison.
LOL, whatever. You were trying to make a point when you ranked on the PAC 12 South. It's okay that is your right.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, whatever. You were trying to make a point when you ranked on the PAC 12 South. It's okay that is your right.

Much like the comment regarding my knowledge of the ACC you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

But it's OK, you can unrustle your jimmies. The comparison was made because it was the most appropriate, not to slight your precious little conference.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like the comment regarding my knowledge of the ACC you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

But it's OK, you can unrustle your jimmies. The comparison was made because it was the most appropriate, not to slight your precious little conference.
Fair enough, time for us to move on.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a simple question. Don’t get your panties in a bunch. It is humorous for you to say it isn’t a big deal to play a home and home with ND. If that’s the case — why doesn’t Alabama drop the Mercer game and pick up a running series with Clemson. They are only 4 or so hours away from you. Or with anyone for that matter?

FYI — the very first game Harbaugh coached at UM was a road game at Utah. I’m not sure, but I believe that is more than 3 hours away.

Because Clemson has a running series with South Carolina.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that means you can’t do a home and home with a team 4 hours from you?

We have played Clemson in neutral site. It was the win that said Alabama was back in 2008. Clemson was #9 at the time, Alabama coming off a 7-6 season.

But Clemson already has a permanent rival with South Carolina, so they aren't going to do a 2nd one.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, Mercer is ranked 149.

Illinois is 126
Oregon St is 131
Kansas 157

Uconn OOC opponent of Virginia, Missouri and BC is 132
ULM OOC opponent of FSU and Auburn is 134
Bowling Green OOC Opponent of Michigan St and Northwestern is 135
Idaho OOC opponent of Missouri is 138
New Mexico OOC opponent of A&M is 141
Northern Arizona OOC opponent of Arizona is 143
Old Dominion OOC opponent of Virginia Tech & UNC is 146
Georgia Southern OOC opponent of Auburn & Indiana is 147
-------------------------------
ULL OOC opponent of A&M and Ole Miss is 152
Hawaii OOC opponent of UCLA is 153
Georgia State OOC opponent of Penn St is 154
South Alabama OOC opponent of Ole Miss and Oklahoma St is 155
Kansas Conference opponent of WVU, Iowa St, TCU, Kansas St, Baylor, Texas, OK and OK St. is 157
Western Carolina OOC opponent of UNC is 159
Austin Peay OOC opponent of UCF is 160
UT Martin OOC opponent of Ole Miss is 161
Coastal Carolina OOC opponent of Arkansas is 162
Maine OOC opponent of UCF is 163
Nicholls St OOC opponent of A&M is 169
North Dakota OOC opponent of Utah is 171
The Citadel OOC opponent of Clemson is 173
Missouri St OOC opponent of Missouri is 174
Townson OOC opponent of Maryland is 175
Rice OOC opponent of Pitt and Stanford is 177
Charleston Southern OOC of Miss St is 178
Chattanooga OOC opponent of LSU is 179
San Jose St OOC opponent of Texas and Utah is 180
Kent St OOC opponent of Clemson and Louisville is 181
Liberty OOC opponent of Baylor is 182
Central Connecticut OOC opponent of Syracuse is 183
Texas State OOC opponent of Colorado is 185
Northern Colorad0 OOC opponent of Colorado and Florida is 187
SE Missouri St OOC opponent of Kansas is 188
Ball State OOC opponent of Illinois is 191
Eastern Kentucky OOC opponent of Kentucky is 192
Bethune-Cookman OOC opponent of Miami is 194
Charlotte OOC opponent of Kansas St is 195
William & Mary OOC opponent of Virginia is 196
UTEP OOC opponent of Oklahoma and Arizona is 200
NC Central OOC opponent of Duke is 202
Murray St OOC opponent of Louisville is 211
Portland St OOC opponent of Oregon St is 217
Presbyterian OOC opponent of Wake Forest is 221
Indiana St OOC opponent of Tenn is 222
Florida A&M OOC opponent of Arkansas is 228
Jackson St OOC opponent of TCU is 235
Alabama A&M OOC opponent of Vanderbilt is 242
Morgan St OOC opponent of Rutgers is 246
Delaware St OOC opponent of WVU and FSU is 247

HMMM...By my count, that's more than 50 P5 teams that have played somebody ranked lower than fucking Mercer, who are themselves a shit team,but let's all run our mouths about fucking Mercer.

Among the guilty

#1 Clemson played The Citadel at 173 and Kent St at 181
#2 Oklahoma played Kansas at 157 and UTEP at 200

and then #3 Georgia played their worst opponent in Samford who is #115 kudos to the dawgs

Our OCC opponents were #149 Mercer, #77 Colorado St, #56 Fresno St and #30 FSU.

BTW no SEC team is rated below Tennesse at #92, above Rutgers, Baylor, Illinois, Oregon St and Kansas.

But yeah, it's us that played the shit schedule.

Fucking Hypocrites.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How'd that work out for you?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that means you can’t do a home and home with a team 4 hours from you?

Actually Clemson is 4hr 53 min from Tuscaloosa and ND is 3hr 16 min from Ann Arbor...clearly you are already trying to put us at a disadvantage.

Besides, I'm a fan of the neutral site games and actually prefer them to home and homes, nor do I see them as any different from a degree of difficulty standpoint over time. Plus I think it has allowed us to schedule better opponents.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Mercer is ranked 149.

Illinois is 126
Oregon St is 131
Kansas 157

Uconn OOC opponent of Virginia, Missouri and BC is 132
ULM OOC opponent of FSU and Auburn is 134
Bowling Green OOC Opponent of Michigan St and Northwestern is 135
Idaho OOC opponent of Missouri is 138
New Mexico OOC opponent of A&M is 141
Northern Arizona OOC opponent of Arizona is 143
Old Dominion OOC opponent of Virginia Tech & UNC is 146
Georgia Southern OOC opponent of Auburn & Indiana is 147
-------------------------------
ULL OOC opponent of A&M and Ole Miss is 152
Hawaii OOC opponent of UCLA is 153
Georgia State OOC opponent of Penn St is 154
South Alabama OOC opponent of Ole Miss and Oklahoma St is 155
Kansas Conference opponent of WVU, Iowa St, TCU, Kansas St, Baylor, Texas, OK and OK St. is 157
Western Carolina OOC opponent of UNC is 159
Austin Peay OOC opponent of UCF is 160
UT Martin OOC opponent of Ole Miss is 161
Coastal Carolina OOC opponent of Arkansas is 162
Maine OOC opponent of UCF is 163
Nicholls St OOC opponent of A&M is 169
North Dakota OOC opponent of Utah is 171
The Citadel OOC opponent of Clemson is 173
Missouri St OOC opponent of Missouri is 174
Townson OOC opponent of Maryland is 175
Rice OOC opponent of Pitt and Stanford is 177
Charleston Southern OOC of Miss St is 178
Chattanooga OOC opponent of LSU is 179
San Jose St OOC opponent of Texas and Utah is 180
Kent St OOC opponent of Clemson and Louisville is 181
Liberty OOC opponent of Baylor is 182
Central Connecticut OOC opponent of Syracuse is 183
Texas State OOC opponent of Colorado is 185
Northern Colorad0 OOC opponent of Colorado and Florida is 187
SE Missouri St OOC opponent of Kansas is 188
Ball State OOC opponent of Illinois is 191
Eastern Kentucky OOC opponent of Kentucky is 192
Bethune-Cookman OOC opponent of Miami is 194
Charlotte OOC opponent of Kansas St is 195
William & Mary OOC opponent of Virginia is 196
UTEP OOC opponent of Oklahoma and Arizona is 200
NC Central OOC opponent of Duke is 202
Murray St OOC opponent of Louisville is 211
Portland St OOC opponent of Oregon St is 217
Presbyterian OOC opponent of Wake Forest is 221
Indiana St OOC opponent of Tenn is 222
Florida A&M OOC opponent of Arkansas is 228
Jackson St OOC opponent of TCU is 235
Alabama A&M OOC opponent of Vanderbilt is 242
Morgan St OOC opponent of Rutgers is 246
Delaware St OOC opponent of WVU and FSU is 247

HMMM...By my count, that's more than 50 P5 teams that have played somebody ranked lower than fucking Mercer, who are themselves a shit team,but let's all run our mouths about fucking Mercer.

Among the guilty

#1 Clemson played The Citadel at 173 and Kent St at 181
#2 Oklahoma played Kansas at 157 and UTEP at 200

and then #3 Georgia played their worst opponent in Samford who is #115 kudos to the dawgs

Our OCC opponents were #149 Mercer, #77 Colorado St, #56 Fresno St and #30 FSU.

BTW no SEC team is rated below Tennesse at #92, above Rutgers, Baylor, Illinois, Oregon St and Kansas.

But yeah, it's us that played the shit schedule.

Fucking Hypocrites.

Can you reformat that into table that is easier to read?