• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the NCAA tournament end at 8 seeds?

domotime2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with it.. Don't care about the play-in games, that makes no sense.

I do like the idea's that Bilas had the other day for the picking of the teams to get in. That they are done before the conf championship games and the only way to play in is to win a conf championship game (not just a "good showing". Then the lowest seeded team falls out.

but then why would a team that's like, the 8th team in even try in the conference tournaments? One of the only thing keeping these tournament's afloat is the mystery of the bubble and the not-knowing what a team has to do to make it or not. If you're a team like USC, and you know you're pretty much safe as long as there aren't like 10 bid steals, why not just rest your players. Same goes for 1 seeds and such. If you know that your fate is pretty much sealed, why even try.

The system is absolutely fine the way it is. It's a TON of fun. Does it make sense? Probably not...but it's a blast and most of the time we get a pretty legit champion anyways, so it doesn't really hurt the sport in that way.

domotime2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tournament is amazing. Don't change a single thing.

The craziest thing I thought of to enhance conference tournaments is to give home-court advantage to the following years tournament to the teams winner (or at least give home-court advantage to the closest city for the champion; ie if Iowa wins the tournament, Des Moines, gets to host the big-10 tournament). It won't happen because of money and a lot of these tournaments have decently fun sites already...but that's literally the only thing I thought of.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. I could do without the play-in games, but only having 32 teams would mean one of:
1) Not every conference gets a bid
2) Only conference champs would get in
Neither of which are realistic. Add in the lost revenue from removing 32 elimination games, lost interest from lack of big upsets, it would kill the tournament.

Not to mention, 68 teams get in out of ~330. Even the best conferences only get about half their teams in. Basically every team in the tournament, outside of a few of the really low seeds, are all good teams.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what no name columnist came up with this awful click bait idea?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number is fine the way it is. The NCAA tournament is one of the best things in sports.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tournament is amazing. Don't change a single thing.

The craziest thing I thought of to enhance conference tournaments is to give home-court advantage to the following years tournament to the teams winner (or at least give home-court advantage to the closest city for the champion; ie if Iowa wins the tournament, Des Moines, gets to host the big-10 tournament). It won't happen because of money and a lot of these tournaments have decently fun sites already...but that's literally the only thing I thought of.

CBS would have a fit. Places like Pitt and Duke seat very few.