• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the NCAA tournament end at 8 seeds?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Qualifier -- I'm not a huge basketball fan. In fact, I really don't watch it unless Michigan is doing something worth watching.

With that said, maybe I'm not understanding something or don't "get it" but it seems to me that there are just far too many teams in the tournament. I looked it up and only 3 times has an 8 seed made it to the title game, one time an 8 seed won it. Beyond that, no lower ranked seeded team has ever even made it to the championship game. IMO it just seems unnecessary to have those lower ranked teams in there to just get beat up on by the higher seeds. If it limited to 8 teams per directional bracket that would be 32 teams. Still a lot of teams making it in and still a pretty large tournament, but a more realistic one for those teams that actually make it.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The popularity of the tournament is largely due to upsets and buzzer beaters that seem to happen every single year.

people love the stories of Gonzaga, FGCU, Princeton, and the others that have made deep runs in the tournament.

64 is a good number

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with it.. Don't care about the play-in games, that makes no sense.

I do like the idea's that Bilas had the other day for the picking of the teams to get in. That they are done before the conf championship games and the only way to play in is to win a conf championship game (not just a "good showing". Then the lowest seeded team falls out.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Qualifier -- I'm not a huge basketball fan. In fact, I really don't watch it unless Michigan is doing something worth watching.

With that said, maybe I'm not understanding something or don't "get it" but it seems to me that there are just far too many teams in the tournament. I looked it up and only 3 times has an 8 seed made it to the title game, one time an 8 seed won it. Beyond that, no lower ranked seeded team has ever even made it to the championship game. IMO it just seems unnecessary to have those lower ranked teams in there to just get beat up on by the higher seeds. If it limited to 8 teams per directional bracket that would be 32 teams. Still a lot of teams making it in and still a pretty large tournament, but a more realistic one for those teams that actually make it.

A 6 seed has only won it once, a 7 seed has only won it once and no 5 seed has EVER won it(since the expansion). That's just the nature of the tournament. There's a reason 1, 2 and 3 seeds are generally the winners of the tournament, because they are the best teams. I was happy when it was 64 teams, and even 65 teams was fine for the 16's to have a play in game. 68 teams is stupid, but it gives us more games leading up to that Thursday, so from that standpoint it isn't a bad thing. I get that the 68 best teams aren't in it, with all the crappy AQ schools that make it, but that's what makes the tournament so special. One of the best moments in tournament history was when Brice Drew hit that game winner against Ole Miss in 1997, that kind of stuff wouldn't happen if the field was cut to 32. Under the new expansion the tournament was never going to be designed to get the best teams in the field. Is Saint Bonaventure better than Holy Cross? Of course, but that's just the way this goes.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the tournament is fine as it is. I could live without the play in games (but will still watch them).

The improbable upsets and runs that some of the smaller schools have made are fun and a big part of the attraction. Sure, we've never seen a #16 beat a #1, but we've seen a #15 beat a #2 and the 5/12 match seems to produce an upset or 2 most years.

That's part of what makes the brackets so much fun. You know there will be upsets, it's a matter of picking the right ones.

Reactions: 006

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The popularity of the tournament is largely due to upsets and buzzer beaters that seem to happen every single year.

people love the stories of Gonzaga, FGCU, Princeton, and the others that have made deep runs in the tournament.

64 is a good number

^^^This^^^

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah it's fine as it is. Good for the small programs to get to play a game, and sometimes win.

I remember when the tourney was much smaller, and thus the NIT was pretty good. Believe when NCAAs were about 32 teams? Cant remember, but it was quite a bit smaller.

Texas won the NIT that year with Abe Lemmons as coach, final four was in New York City and it was a lot of fun.

But now, the NCAAs have gobbled up the NIT in effect, and put it all in one tourney. Think it's better now.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do like the idea's that Bilas had the other day for the picking of the teams to get in. That they are done before the conf championship games and the only way to play in is to win a conf championship game (not just a "good showing". Then the lowest seeded team falls out.

Brilliant. Make the regular season relevant and you don't diminish any tournaments

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

conference tourneys are really only about the money.

Granted I'd miss some of the excitement that happens in a tourney or two, but the rest is just so-so. Quite often the #1 seed loses; and they don't really care because they are already 'in'.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

64 is a good number

This.

The popularity is also due to being able to watch 4 games at one time. It's perfect for a game like basketball which is fast paced but where one play cannot decide a game unless it's at the end.

If you took it down to 32, it would diminish that.

Imagine for instance watching soccer in a tournament format with four games on at one time and switching between all of the games. You could watch literally all day and miss every single live goal.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, there's too many D-1 basketball schools to reduce the number. I think it's over 320 schools now? None of those little guys would ever get in again if we cut the number in half. It would just be the top 3-4 teams from about half a dozen power conferences.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is always trying to say we need less college sports. Less bowl games, less games in the tournament...fuck that. It's good the way it is. 12 seeds had a winning record against 5 seeds for a better part of the last decade.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's by far and away the greatest sports spectacle in March...
and leads in to the Masters, the greatest sports spectacle in April...
and so on...
sparty on, my friends

:suds:

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only change I'd want is only put at large teams in the "1st 4".

That and Seth Davis gets punched in the face once per half-time.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is always trying to say we need less college sports. Less bowl games, less games in the tournament...fuck that. It's good the way it is. 12 seeds had a winning record against 5 seeds for a better part of the last decade.

The bowl games I can see.. 6-5 team in the Camellia Bowl... I could care less about. Basketball I love how the tourney is as far as number of teams and setup.

The only changes I would be open too is the one above.. Only way to play in after the reg season is to win your conf tourney, and MAYBE a best out of 3 for the title game (not overly for/against this one though).

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Cross just said, "nah...68 is good"

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck kind of question is this?

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guns in the hands of children mode, DEPT...

What the fuck kind of question is this?

the kind of question you might expect from someone who leads with: I'm not a huge basketball fan. In fact, I really don't watch it