• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Badgers FIRE Bo Ryan?

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Bo has now lost to the lower seed 8 times in his career and has never beaten a higher ranked seed. :)

Bo's an excellent mentor/coach as he knows how to develop players, create chemistry and make second half adjustments. He recruits for his system and it's been highly successful in the Big Ten and at making the tournament. We are all fortunate to have him as a coach and I hope Tony Bennett will take over when Bo leaves on his own terms. Congrats to UW for making the final four and the game played out just how I imagined unfortunately. Congrats to Kentucky as their poise (offensively) is amazing for a group of freshmen and sophomores.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's look at it...

Bo Ryan Era
2014 - 29-7 (no worse than Elite Eight)
2013 - 23-12 (1st Round loss)
2012 - 26-10 (Sweet 16)
2011 - 25-9 (Sweet 16)
2010 - 24-9 (2nd Round)
2009 - 20-13 (2nd Round)
2008 - 31-5 (Sweet 16)
2007 - 30-6 (2nd Round)
2006 - 19-12 (1st Round)
2005 - 25-9 (Elite Eight)
2004 - 25-7 (2nd Round)
2003 - 24-8 (Sweet 16)
2002 - 18-12 (2nd Round)

Under Brad Soderberg (took over essentially a Dick Bennett Final Four team)
2001 - 18-11 (1st Round)

Under Dick Bennett
2000 - 22-14 (Final Four)
1999 - 22-10 (1st Round)

What do the results tell us? They tell us that Wisconsin started getting pretty good under Dick Bennett, had a one-year blunder with Brad Soderberg, and have stayed a perennial Big Ten power under Bo Ryan. Sure, they haven't gotten to the Final Four with him yet, but they've come pretty damn close. I felt they had a great opportunity in 2005, but they unfortunately were on the wrong side of the bracket. They ran into a buzz saw North Carolina team that had multiple NBA players and even that Wisconsin team gave UNC everything they could ask for in regards to competition. They sure gave them a helluva better game than Michigan State did in the Final Four.

To point out the obvious, you can't expect Wisconsin to put up Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Syracuse, Arizona, Kansas, Florida, UCONN, Louisville, Michigan State results every year. When it came to those programs, they got there because they had a good run here and there and as a result, they started winning recruiting battles and became college hoops hotbeds. Wisconsin, while they have good players, rarely lands NBA caliber talent, so it takes "schemes" to pull it off. I mean, let's look at the National Champion. You know how many times since 1990 a team outside of those Top 10 programs I listed won a NC? Four. UNLV in 1990, Arkansas in 1994, UCLA in 1995, and Maryland in 2002.

What's the point I'm making with all this? Have some patience. Wisconsin would more than likely not have as strong of results without Bo Ryan. The reason being is it isn't a college hoops hotbed. They won't be able to recruit 5 star recruits based solely on name, they need to put themselves on the map first. One thing I can say though? It's pretty obvious that they are starting to get some top tier talent at Wisconsin now. Sam Dekker was a pretty big name, Traevon Jackson was a pretty big pedigree, and this year's freshman class of Bronson Koenig and Nigel Hayes are showing that they are going to be future stars as well. Wisconsin is slowly but surely getting more talented players and that's a big reason why they are making this great tourney run now. If they can continue this sort of success, more big name recruits will likely consider Wisconsin.

So to answer the OP's question...no.

The elite of the elite.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god they lost so we didn't have to deal with another one of GD's idiotic threads in anticipation of their next loss.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god they lost so we didn't have to deal with another one of GD's idiotic threads in anticipation of their next loss.

Could you not figure out these were reverse jinx posts based on media/pundits views and assumptions?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he's had excellent success in the Big-10 at around .710 winning % in the Big Ten with multiple titles, coach of the year, etc. However if he loses to the Ducks this year it will mark the 6th time he's lost to a lower seed in the tournament. He's never beaten a higher ranked and really only had one decent outing in the tournament when he reached the elite 8. I'm tired of both our football and basketball program having all this divisional success but nothing to show for it at the end of the year. It's like the season was a complete waste of time as I almost expect to be upset every year now.

Last edited by a moderator: