• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Stoops leave? - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it time for Bob Stoops to leave the Oklahoma Sooners? - ESPN
by Travis Haney

Oklahoma should have a new coach in 2015.

No, Bob Stoops is not getting fired. He sports a 166-42 career record and has never had a losing season.

However, Stoops should strongly consider leaving on his own volition to shake things up. It would be of benefit to his career, to Oklahoma -- and to his next school.

If jobs at Florida and Michigan do open, both would have Stoops high on their wish lists. And the feeling should be mutual.

Let’s face the facts: Oklahoma has gotten stagnant.

“It happens. He should move on,” one coach told me Saturday. “Ten years is the max, I would say.”

If the staleness wasn’t clear, Saturday’s 48-14 loss to Baylor drove home the point.

After winning 75 of his first 77 games at Owen Field, Stoops is 14-5 there since then.

“That was a tough place to play,” one coach told me Saturday night.

Yeah -- was.

Even in their previous six home defeats, Stoops' Sooners had not been embarrassed like this. OU fans lustily booed the team’s soft defense early in the second half on Saturday. And that’s before the game really went sideways.

The Sooners lost by 34; Stoops’ first six home losses came by a combined 36 points.

Put it this way: There’s a growing number of OU fans who would help load Stoops’ moving van if the day came. Too many years of promise have gone unfulfilled, and too many years have passed since the Sooners' 2000 BCS title.

“I think it’s very real,” one coach said when I asked him generally about OU's staleness. “Fans get spoiled. A lot of coaches move on to keep it new, keep energy high. Look at Urban [Meyer].”

Maybe it was just a contract leverage play, which worked, but I believed some coaches when they told me Stoops had genuine interest last winter in the Cleveland Browns job.

“I think he’s looking for other options,” a coach said Saturday.

When the topic of disappointment came up this summer, Stoops focused on the 2009 season, in which a number of players -- including Heisman-winning QB Sam Bradford -- dealt with injuries.

That’s fine -- totally fair. But he didn’t have any explanation for OU's three-loss season in 2011, and this year's team -- widely considered a contender for a playoff spot -- now has three losses, including two consecutive home defeats.

Baylor, a program moving in the opposite direction, has now beaten OU in three of the past four meetings; it was 0-20 in the series prior to 2011.

Do you need more evidence than that to prove that things have changed in the Big 12? This is no longer a league run by OU and Texas. The changing of the guard came en masse, with Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and now TCU ushering UT and OU to the periphery.

Things had gotten similarly stale in Austin, and Texas made a change.

Stoops is not on any sort of hot seat -- yet. But he is trending in that direction. So now’s the time for Stoops to make the change himself.

The school loves to boast how long the president, AD and coach have been together, and rightfully so. But all good runs come to an end. Might as well transition with some grace.

Extra points

• Someone asked me this corresponding question: If Stoops were to leave, where would Oklahoma turn? How high could it aim? AD Joe Castiglione had just started when he hired Stoops, who had never previously been a head coach. The hiring game has kind of changed. A number of ADs have been burned recently by first-time coaches, so I doubt OU would go for someone like Clemson OC Chad Morris or Alabama DC Kirby Smart. But maybe Castiglione would, searching for similar magic.

I think the two Mississippi coaches, Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze, would make logical fits. Arizona’s Rich Rodriguez, too. Some fans would want to pry TCU's Gary Patterson or Baylor's Art Briles from their perches, but I seriously doubt either would leave. And if you want an off-the-radar name, Memphis’ Justin Fuente has some Oklahoma ties. He’s from Tulsa and started his playing career at OU before finishing at Murray State. Fuente is 13-20 at Memphis, but he's had to make a complete overhaul, and this season, he has the Tigers (6-3) bowl eligible.

• College football is tough to project (this season more than most), but here’s one thing you can take to the bank: Marcus Mariota is winning the Heisman Trophy. Oregon withstood an early test from Utah, and after a bye, it has only regular-season games against Colorado and Oregon State remaining. Even for the Ducks’ banged-up offense, both would seem to be prime opportunities for Mariota to rack up some numbers and rest in the fourth quarter. Oregon would then play Arizona State (if both win out) in the Pac-12 title game, by virtue of division records.

Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon, who has 1,501 yards and 21 TDs in nine games, is likely No. 2 right now. Gordon has remaining games against Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota, and the Badgers could still reach the Big Ten title game. Gordon is not out of the hunt, but Boston College’s Andre Williams ran for 2,000 yards last season and lost to a QB.

Also: If Mississippi State continues to win, Dak Prescott will have some support. But this is Mariota’s award. Many felt as if he should have at least been a finalist last year. With Oregon in good shape for a playoff berth, it’s Mariota’s time. It makes sense. After all, he is the best player in the country.

• Every week, TCU impresses. The Frogs very rarely seem fazed, and they grind through those stretches. They breezed past a good Kansas State team 41-20 on Saturday. I’ve got QB Trevone Boykin back up at No. 3 in my Heisman Watch poll. I’m not alone in my praise of the Frogs. “TCU may win the whole thing,” a coach texted me Saturday. “The QB is phenomenal and just doesn’t turn it over. They’ll be a hard out for anyone.” One problem: Baylor won head-to-head and is still ahead in the Big 12 race. TCU has maintained an advantage in the College Football Playoff rankings, but could Baylor’s statement in Norman close the gap? If both teams win out --regardless of the “eye test” -- how could the head-to-head winner be kept out? It wouldn’t. Watch this week to see how close Baylor creeps toward TCU in the committee’s rankings. The gap was six spots last week. If the panel is really starting each week from scratch, the Bears should be very near the Frogs.

• There’s a potential road block on TCU’s schedule that isn’t getting much attention: Texas. The Frogs go to Austin on Thanksgiving night.

Texas, if you’ve sort of lost track, is improving. The Horns knocked off West Virginia 33-16 on Saturday. They’ve scored 30-plus points two straight weeks after being shut out for the first time in a decade. (Of note: Charlie Strong crowd-surfed in UT’s postgame locker room.) This team weathered the dismissals and QB David Ash’s career-ending head injury. It’s coming together, possibly just in time to wreck an in-state school’s shot at a playoff bid.

• I had been told repeatedly that Kansas AD Sheahon Zenger and the school's administration was looking for reasons to keep interim coach Clint Bowen, the Lawrence native who played at KU. He just needed a win or two. Well, Bowen has one now. The Jayhawks blew out Iowa State on Saturday, winning 34-14 to give Bowen as many Big 12 victories as his two predecessors, Charlie Weis and Turner Gill. The closing stretch of TCU, Oklahoma and Kansas State -- three teams that were in the CFP top 15 entering Saturday -- is as brutal as it gets in the league. So was this win enough? KU is playing much, much better, but does Zenger believe Bowen is ready for a Big 12 job? No matter what, expect Bowen back in 2015, either as the team's DC or the head man.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the article at all. One of the, if not the, most successful coaches during his tenure. Great pay, peaceful living, treated nice. Why would he want some place else?

I just want to hear what you Sooner fans think.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the article at all. One of the, if not the, most successful coaches during his tenure. Great pay, peaceful living, treated nice. Why would he want some place else?

I just want to hear what you Sooner fans think.

Bob Stoops will stay if he wins big, and I mean really big, next year. If he doesn't he's on the way out. Sooner fans are fed up with the under performance. He has to save himself. We can't do it for him. He first needs to fire Josh Heupel and get someone like Mangino who can direct a high octane offense. The D is hopeless as long as Little Brother is running it. It's anyone's guess if he will do what has to be done which should include making a change in his DC.

RACER-MIKE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what he needs two do ,but i think he will not and he can care less he has his money , ithink he has givin up i sure hope i am wrong but thats what it looks like

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma is trying to Fulmer itself.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What baffles me is Mike created and ran some of the most dominant defenses we'd ever seen when he was here before.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What baffles me is Mike created and ran some of the most dominant defenses we'd ever seen when he was here before.

The game changed, Romeo. Back in the early 2000's he wasn't facing the high octane offenses week after week like he is now. Nobody expects OU to win games in the Big XII with us only giving up 10 points a game but look at what happened last Saturday. This is a repeat of what has happened up us too often in other games since he came back to OU.

OU only had 6 first downs after it took a 14-3 lead in the first quarter.
Baylor had 6 touchdowns after OU took a 14-3 lead in the first quarter.
Bryce Petty had 16 completions in the second half. He threw only 17 passes, going 16 of 17 for 206 yards.
The combined margin of victory for Baylor the last times against OU is 63 points.
The total yards advantage for Baylor after the first quarter was 279 yards, 468-189.

Mike is getting his ass handed to him game after game. He's not the answer at Oklahoma.

Last edited by a moderator:

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give Mike one thing, at least he realized what the problem was right after the game. He came right out and said we needed to be in press coverage if we are going to blitz. What Mike and OU was counting on was that Petty would miss some throws. From the stats listed above you can see that he did not. Mike all but said we have a talent problem in the secondary. Did anyone see his number 2 cornerback screaming at him and Bob on the sidelines? He was telling Mike "what do you want me to do? You have me playing 10 yards off the reciever!" If you watch some of the better defenes in the country all they do is play physical bump and run. Mike wants to but he doesn't belive his guys will hold up. From what I've seen of Sanchez and company I can't say he is wrong. But I would rather get beat attacking than laying back. If you bring the house and they beat you over the top then they just beat you. Last Saturday was a clear case of not putting the players in a good situation. I think this defense can be really special if they quit thinking so much and play downhill.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let your athletes athlete.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give Mike one thing, at least he realized what the problem was right after the game. He came right out and said we needed to be in press coverage if we are going to blitz. What Mike and OU was counting on was that Petty would miss some throws. From the stats listed above you can see that he did not. Mike all but said we have a talent problem in the secondary. Did anyone see his number 2 cornerback screaming at him and Bob on the sidelines? He was telling Mike "what do you want me to do? You have me playing 10 yards off the reciever!" If you watch some of the better defenes in the country all they do is play physical bump and run. Mike wants to but he doesn't belive his guys will hold up. From what I've seen of Sanchez and company I can't say he is wrong. But I would rather get beat attacking than laying back. If you bring the house and they beat you over the top then they just beat you. Last Saturday was a clear case of not putting the players in a good situation. I think this defense can be really special if they quit thinking so much and play downhill.

I won't give him anything. We've heard a variation of that same mea culpa after every loss this season. It's a broken record. Excuses don't work anymore.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't give him anything. We've heard a variation of that same mea culpa after every loss this season. It's a broken record. Excuses don't work anymore.

I only have one question about this though, does Mike have the talent in the secondary? I don't think we do. The reason I say this is they play safe coverage against everyone they play. Watch next weekend they will be laying back playing soft coverage agaisnt Tech. If you have corners and safeties you believe in you never do that. Sanchez has been getting beat since he stepped on the field. No doubt he will give you the occasional play here and there because he does have speed but did anyone see how the WR (White I think) from WVU just owned him? I know he had a hurt shoulder but he was getting beat down. And that is our best cover guy? I think that tells you the state of the talent we have at secondary. People can blame the coaches all they want but if the talent is not there to coach then what do you do? I think we are much better in the trenches then we were two years ago with Phillips, Tapper, and company. Remember Barry was the one who came out and said to Bob we needed to get better in the trenches. Now that has been accomplished maybe Barry needs to tell him to work on the secondary.

To me the secondary is only the second worst problem on the team. (no pun intented) Josh Heupel and his band of idiots have been so bad in the losses that the defense just keeps getting thrown back out there. No time to recover or look at what they are doing wrong. It's 3 and out Josh along with pick 6 Trevor back out there doing their thing. As mentioned earlier we play in the Big XII and sometimes you are going to have to score with people to win. When will these idiots learn that on 3rd and half yard you don't go into shotgun and let the defensive ends have time to catch the running back in the backfield? I have seen them use the QB sneak this year against KSU and guess what it work! When Bob was getting questioned in his press conference this week he was asked if Josh should be on the field helping the QB's instead of calling the game from the press box. Bob of course said it made no difference and that Josh could do either. The reporter (don't know who it was but I love him) went on to ask the follow up question about why quarterbacks like Sam Bradford and Landry Jones (at least early on) having Josh on the field seemed to continue to get better yet when he went to the press box the QB's since seem to regress. Bob of course just said Sam was a special talent and you can't expect everyone to be like that. Then he went on to further blame the wind for Trevor's inaccuracy. Didn't seem to be hurting the Baylor QB's throws! Sounds like from the press conference coverage we are going to do anything with the coaches but we are going to see a lot of different players. Younger guys are going to get their shot. Bob all but threw Julian Wilson under the bus saying he couldn't cover with a cast on his hand. I think that move shows just how disconnected Bob is. Wilson was the only player who acted like he was upset after Baylor just drove it down the field on the first drive of the second half. He was screaming at Mike for the coverage scheme his was calling. Stoops brother solution bench the only guy with heart! Makes no sense to me.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only have one question about this though, does Mike have the talent in the secondary? I don't think we do. The reason I say this is they play safe coverage against everyone they play. Watch next weekend they will be laying back playing soft coverage agaisnt Tech. If you have corners and safeties you believe in you never do that. Sanchez has been getting beat since he stepped on the field. No doubt he will give you the occasional play here and there because he does have speed but did anyone see how the WR (White I think) from WVU just owned him? I know he had a hurt shoulder but he was getting beat down. And that is our best cover guy? I think that tells you the state of the talent we have at secondary. People can blame the coaches all they want but if the talent is not there to coach then what do you do? I think we are much better in the trenches then we were two years ago with Phillips, Tapper, and company. Remember Barry was the one who came out and said to Bob we needed to get better in the trenches. Now that has been accomplished maybe Barry needs to tell him to work on the secondary.

To me the secondary is only the second worst problem on the team. (no pun intented) Josh Heupel and his band of idiots have been so bad in the losses that the defense just keeps getting thrown back out there. No time to recover or look at what they are doing wrong. It's 3 and out Josh along with pick 6 Trevor back out there doing their thing. As mentioned earlier we play in the Big XII and sometimes you are going to have to score with people to win. When will these idiots learn that on 3rd and half yard you don't go into shotgun and let the defensive ends have time to catch the running back in the backfield? I have seen them use the QB sneak this year against KSU and guess what it work! When Bob was getting questioned in his press conference this week he was asked if Josh should be on the field helping the QB's instead of calling the game from the press box. Bob of course said it made no difference and that Josh could do either. The reporter (don't know who it was but I love him) went on to ask the follow up question about why quarterbacks like Sam Bradford and Landry Jones (at least early on) having Josh on the field seemed to continue to get better yet when he went to the press box the QB's since seem to regress. Bob of course just said Sam was a special talent and you can't expect everyone to be like that. Then he went on to further blame the wind for Trevor's inaccuracy. Didn't seem to be hurting the Baylor QB's throws! Sounds like from the press conference coverage we are going to do anything with the coaches but we are going to see a lot of different players. Younger guys are going to get their shot. Bob all but threw Julian Wilson under the bus saying he couldn't cover with a cast on his hand. I think that move shows just how disconnected Bob is. Wilson was the only player who acted like he was upset after Baylor just drove it down the field on the first drive of the second half. He was screaming at Mike for the coverage scheme his was calling. Stoops brother solution bench the only guy with heart! Makes no sense to me.

OU has enough talent to do better than it is doing against Big XII quarterbacks. We aren't facing Andrew Luck, Payton Manning and Tom Brady every week. And how can OU expect to recruit better defensive backs when (a) they can see the way the ones already here are being used and (b) the camera spends a LOT of time every game showing Mike Stoops losing his shit on someone? The guy's a jerk and it bleeds through on the tube. I wouldn't play for him. Would you?

Regarding Heupel: He's an excellent QB coach and a lousy Offensive Coordinator. He is a shining example of the Peter Principle. That's on Bob Stoops who damn well better fix the problem because he can't pull the wool over the eyes of the fans any longer. There has to be a change in OC. Besides, who the hell thinks a coach talking over a headset is the same as talking to a QB 12" in front of him? That's another BS attempt by Stoops to pass Heupel off as a QB guru even if he's 200' from his player talking on a headset while he should be thinking about what the hell do we do the next series when we get the ball back.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game changed, Romeo. Back in the early 2000's he wasn't facing the high octane offenses week after week like he is now. Nobody expects OU to win games in the Big XII with us only giving up 10 points a game but look at what happened last Saturday. This is a repeat of what has happened up us too often in other games since he came back to OU.

OU only had 6 first downs after it took a 14-3 lead in the first quarter.
Baylor had 6 touchdowns after OU took a 14-3 lead in the first quarter.
Bryce Petty had 16 completions in the second half. He threw only 17 passes, going 16 of 17 for 206 yards.
The combined margin of victory for Baylor the last times against OU is 63 points.
The total yards advantage for Baylor after the first quarter was 279 yards, 468-189.

Mike is getting his ass handed to him game after game. He's not the answer at Oklahoma.

Your defense could be much better.