• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Be In R&R Hall Of Fame

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's true that Seventh Sojourn didn't have a unifying theme as the previous six but it has some excellent songs on it and the message of "I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock'n'Roll Band)" more or less told you the group was calling it quits as the pressure was really getting to them. I read something interesting that Justin Heyward said about it, they were a band of one mystic, two Christians, a nut case and two other things that just needed to go their own ways.

They were responsible for some of the most beautiful music written back then...and I was fortunate enough to see them a few times...they were absolutely fantastic.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were responsible for some of the most beautiful music written back then...and I was fortunate enough to see them a few times.
One of the few bands I never got see in their original line up but did see after Pindar left the group during the Octave tour. They just didn't sound the same without him.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the few bands I never got see in their original line up but did see after Pindar left the group during the Octave tour. They just didn't sound the same without him.

I saw them w/ & w/o Pinder. Definitely better with.
I mentioned Patrick Moraz in another thread a few days ago......I didn't care for him in Yes, nor did I care for him in the Moody's.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@yoga≈surfing Your mention of The Doobie Brothers reminds me that I am one of those weird ones who really thinks they were a better band The Eagles.

Well as far as pure rock & roll goes, the Doobies were superior, and they also had a little bit of that "southern rock" sound about them too. Eagles were in SoCal (right place/right time) during the country/folk fusion which helped to propel them.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a border line band to be included: America, they had only 3 or 4 albums if I remember correctly but some really good tunes on them. Ventura Highway is still one of my favorites...

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they were just a more "rock" version of Poco though, who was more "country" than the rock stations liked and more "rock" than the country stations wanted.

Before the Eagles became well known...Bob Seger & Jackson Browne helped them out a lot and showed them the ropes back in their very early days.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Eagles became well known...Bob Seger & Jackson Browne helped them out a lot back in their very early days.
Yeah, but then those two helped a lot of artists...I was reading something about Jackson Browne the other day and was amazed with who all he had worked with. And saw Bob Seger open for Blue Oyster Cult once, only show where I saw the headliner act (BOC) have the entire opening act come out for an encore with them and they rocked the house with some old rock and roll...

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know it was Alvin Lee who got Tony Iommi to change the name of his new group because he thought the original name Earth wasn't a name for a band? I don't think he actually suggested Black Sabbath though. I just know him and Iommi were close friends back then.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know it was Alvin Lee who got Tony Iommi to change the name of his new group because he thought the original name Earth wasn't a name for a band? I don't think he actually suggested Black Sabbath though. I just know him and Iommi were close friends back then.

Yes I knew that....
Do you also remember Iommi playing briefly with Jethro Tull?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I knew that....
Do you also remember Iommi playing briefly with Jethro Tull?
Yes, but as Iommi put it later, there could only be one lead in a band and it was obvious Ian Anderson was going to be it. Though it's been said and reported it was not that exactly but who knows, depending on who you believe I guess. Also the name change story has a different version on Wiki than what is on Alvin's official web page. Something about two bands with the same name Earth...

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but as Iommi put it later, there could only be one lead in a band and it was obvious Ian Anderson was going to be it. Though it's been said and reported it was not that exactly but who knows, depending on who you believe I guess. Also the name change story has a different version on Wiki than what is on Alvin's official web page. Something about two bands with the same name Earth...
was he referring to Rare Earth?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was he referring to Rare Earth?
Don't know. I just know that either Iommi or Ozzy mentioned it was Alvin Lee who convinced them to change their name...and how is Jeff Beck in the HOF but not Alvin or Robin Trower? I mean I like Beck but really if he's in there surely Alvin and Robin should be too as both were much more prolific and popular there for awhile.