• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shootout Frustrations

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the Nucks game shootout loss, I just wonder why shootouts are not discussed more (by the team, by the fan, or by the media)?

It's obviously a staple of the NHL now and IMO this is an area of the game that the Hawks need to improve on. Four of the Hawks six OT losses are because of their failure to put the puck in the net in the shootout. In the Nucks game, the shootout went 8 rounds. (Let me just add that watching the Sedin's take their shootouts at Raanta was unbelievably hilarious and yet pitiful.)

When the players are introduced they'll show a graphic of their "career" shootout percentages which I feel is a little misleading. Here's where we are as of today:

vesz.png

Kane = 8 shots ZERO goals. Hossa = 3 shots ZERO goals. Terrible!
I remember a long shootout contest last year and Rozsival made a real nice goal. Wouldn't it be to a team's advantage to use a guy like Rosie since a goalie may not have a clue how he'll shoot?

I say let Sharp lead off a shootout since he has the best percentage this season. Put the other team in the hole.

Another reason I mention this is because some shootouts like in the Vancouver game extend beyond the 3-player minimum. We need to wrap these kind of games up. It shouldn't take a team like the Hawks - with all of the weapons we have on offense - go into a 4th, 5th or 8th frame of a shootout.

Am I blowing this way out of proportion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would say a little only because kane has done well in the past on shootouts. now for whatever reason this year he has struggled, and sorry rossi is never one i would put in the shootoout until it goes 8 rounds or so

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think shootout stats are overrated. Keep in mind there's no shootout in the playoffs. I would be more concerned with how they do in regulation and overtime.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we were told how to think about shootouts a while ago. I still like them, its still exciting. Toews was almost 50% for his career. He missed his first few, got moved to second once for Kane and he has not really done well since. I was glad Raanta made it past the first three shots this time. But as long as teams are still given a point for losing there doesnt need to be more emphasis on scoring. Pretty sure they say they ended practices with shootouts and the last guy that scores had to pick up pucks and Kane picked up more pucks than you would think.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Sharks SOL, I'm getting more and more frustrated with our shootouts.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I see the graphic right yesterday that crow llet in just 4 / 24 before last night?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I see the graphic right yesterday that crow llet in just 4 / 24 before last night?

That's right. He's now 6 for 26 (.769%) per NHL.com. Raanta is 3 for 6 (.500). Plenty of quality (and even non-quality) goalies ahead of both, Just sad.

Still this falls on our wingers not putting the puck in the net.

Last edited by a moderator: