• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shields

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talks have now stalled and will likely hit the open market.

I really hate Drew Rosenhaus

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's one I'd like back, but who knows what he's asking. he's valuable, but he's not one that should be one of the highest paid in the league. I haven't been paying much attention to reports about what was being offered?, but GB has a reputation of being very upfront in negotiations. I remember reading an article a while back about agents liking to deal with GB because everything was up front and on the table and making decisions was easy.

We've seen it before, GB makes good offers, some think they are worth more, ala greg jennings and sign elsewhere for more guaranteed money, and other times like Jones, they see the offer was very fair and sign back with GB.

I'm not convinced Shields has proven his worth consistently enough to for another team in the league to really over spend for him, but maybe. and if he is gone, I guess they'll have to replace him. IF we don't have the injury problem, we could still be OK back there if he does go elsewhere, though I certainly believe we'd be better if we can re-sign him

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well put, Mondio.

Sometimes Shields looks like a stud, sometimes he looks like a backup on an 8th grade team. Inconsistent.

If we went in with Tramon, Heyward, Hyde, and House, I think we'd be in good shape. Chances are a CB would be drafted too.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer to have Shields back... but not if price tag is too rich. Heard Packers are offering close to the Jennings deal... but Shield's wants $7M+ / year.

With all the cap space available... Packers most likely will need to do something in FA if we lose most of our own to fill some of the holes.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was reading about what we reportedly offered. The deal Jennings got was 4 years for 22.4 with roster and workout bonues. I think 6 million per year is very good for Shields. He has shown tremendous ability but he also disappears sometimes, but I would love to have him back if the price is right.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know its a long shot but if we let Shield go maybe we can take a run at either Orakpo or Byrd.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the issue with Tramon, Heyward, Hyde, and House (no Shields);

Casey Hayward is an inside CB/slot CB. That is his perfect position, don't move him from there

Hyde will be playing more S this year, more specifically FS.

House seemed to fall out of favor with the coaching staff this season.

Tramon is good if we get second half Tramon, or an eye sore if we get first half Tramon

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give Shields 8M per year. He is one of the better CB in the market, one of the youngest players on the market, still very high potential. Plus salary cap grew even more than expected this year. If 8M gets it done, I have no problem giving him that

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 6 or 6.5 per year is solid and then throw in some possible incentives and guarantee a good portion of it.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CB market has been somewhat set by Grimes being resigned for 4 yr 32 million. Orakpo is likely getting the tag today by the sounds of it and Byrd will be way too expensive and also might get the tag. I don't think other organizations hold Shields as highly as we do so I don't think he'll get what he is looking for especially with the depth at cb in free agency and the draft. Lots of options out there. I would pay him around 6 mil/yr max due to his up and down play.

Sasquatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
spacer.gif

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully this didnt kill the thread...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you guys think about picking up Malcolm Jenkins on the cheap?

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shields is the best corner on the team, but I don't think he deserves to be payed like a league wide elite corner...6 to 6.5 million per year seems right to me. Letting him go out into free agency isn't good news, potentially having to drastically over pay because of bidding wars isn't good news.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shields is the best corner on the team, but I don't think he deserves to be payed like a league wide elite corner...6 to 6.5 million per year seems right to me. Letting him go out into free agency isn't good news, potentially having to drastically over pay because of bidding wars isn't good news.

Problem is "seems right" price escalates in free agency, especially with NFL salary cap going up 5M and Brent Grimes being given 8M per year

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think gb will drastically over pay though. Hes nice to have. He's young and has potential. All good things, but its not like he's irreplaceable on this team. They have to get better up front. Period. If they dont do that they could give top dollar to every free agent DB this year and our defense still wouldn't improve.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shields signs with Packers 4-39M.

I know many will hate it. I like it.

Shields was absolutely going to get more than 6M. Likely will be incentives in this deal in order to get to 39M. He is a very good CB, potential to be great.

He is our best defensive back. Just glad he is back

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shields signs with Packers 4-39M.

I know many will hate it. I like it.

Shields was absolutely going to get more than 6M. Likely will be incentives in this deal in order to get to 39M. He is a very good CB, potential to be great.

He is our best defensive back. Just glad he is back

I'm with you, his pros outweigh his cons and I think he'll only get better; at least he better with that kind of payday. :nod: