• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sharks claim Kyle Wellwood off waivers

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was coming back from the KHL and had to pass through waivers. Dougie makes the claim. Low risk, medium reward for the offensive bottom 6? I don't know much about him.

prnlijo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like DW is just getting warmed up with Wellwood and Eager. Hopefully...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happened to giving the team 10 games to figure out whether he'll be a buyer or seller thing?

Looks like he's a buyer for sure now?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was actually thinking about wellwood for a while for the 3rd line. Guy has back to back season with at least 14 goals, and definitely adds some scoring ability to the bottom 6.

i dont know how much it was for, but I would actually rather have him than nolan. he's also just 27, so it's not like he's old. He also put up 13 pts in 22 PO's games, so it shows that he can add a little pop in the postseason as well. As long as he does the job defensively, I think this move makes lots of sense.

As for eager, I like that one too. The sharks needed some toughness big time. they get hit and clowe is the only guy who cares. Eager has a little scoring ability to the 4th line and cup winning experience, but most importantly, he adds a grit who can also play at the NHL level. Dougie definitely improved the team with these two guys replacing desjardins, mashinter and the like.

The D issue is still the biggest one, but at least I agree with these moves and 5th rounder (which I believe was the one we got from ottawa) isnt a huge price to pay.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read around and it seems the biggest knock on Wellwood is his......work ethic.

:L

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whatever happened to giving the team 10 games to figure out whether he'll be a buyer or seller thing?

Dougie isnt the type of go into a full rebuild. It's not in his personality. however, I am not so sure that he'll end up getting that top Dman since he doesnt have a lot of young chips to play and I don't see him wanting to trade a 1st rounder again unless it lands a top guy signed for a while. Also, if the sharks lose the next 5 in a row, he could quickly turn seller before the deadline, but for now, they are 2 points (functionally) out of a PO spot, so I don't see dougie throwing in the towel...

I'm not sure how much difference these two acquisitions are going to make, but wellwood could prove to be the key. If he pots a few, that would seriously change the face of the team from being basically a two-line team, to a 3 line team (and maybe 4 since eager does have a double digit goal season to his credit).

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read around and it seems the biggest knock on Wellwood is his......work ethic.

:L

Great! Another guy that has a poor work ethic on this team. Just what they need.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say Sharks have voracious appetites.

Sounds like Kyle Wellfed to me.:D

sharksfan1135

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wellwood is a good pick up. I wanted sharks to sign this guy in the offseason. He has decent hands and can put the puck in the net. I think it is an upgrade over mcginn. Speed wise, we will find out.
Up until now, sharks had woosta team on bottom six forward. I think sharks will have some nhl caliber players playing bottom six too.
Sharks also need help on D so we might not know if these players will be packaged for help on D. Could be a possibility.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We'll see about the work ethic issue and even if the youngins worked hard, if you stink, you stink. Also, he's on a two-way deal, so he knows that if he doesnt work, he'll be in the A in no time.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He still can. these 2 guys both suck something fierce. wellwood is soft as cake with no work ethic. eager will work hard at least.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fatty wellwood is an upgrade over mcginn and mitchell . Good pick ups that should really give this team better scoring depth overall

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fatty wellwood is an upgrade over mcginn and mitchell . Good pick ups that should really give this team better scoring depth overall

korky, I'm pretty sure you're an upgrade over McGinn and I've never seen you play... but thanks for trying to put a positive spin on these moves. :p

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's an upgrade over McGinn, for sure. Mitchell can't score but at least he works hard and is fast so eh. I like the low risk in this move. No picks or assets given up and should push McGinn to improve or get out of here.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wellwood has skill I'll give him that but he's doesn't work hard on or off the ice and has often been accused of causing problems in the lockerroom. We'll see how it works out.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys are craving some buffet, you'd better go now. Once Wellwood arrives, there'll be nothing left.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you guys are craving some buffet, you'd better go now. Once Wellwood arrives, there'll be nothing left.

Wellwood, Thornton, and Patrick White all with the same organization. All you can eat buffet owners are crapping their pants right now.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
wellwood is a good pick up. I wanted sharks to sign this guy in the offseason. He has decent hands and can put the puck in the net.

bear in mind he most recently played himself off of a KHL team.
He was down to about 3 minutes of ice time at Atlant, until they finally washed heir hands of him
Report: KHL team can't stomach Kyle Wellwood, releases ex-Canuck - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

soft hands yes, but he is the absolute softest overall player I have ever seen in the game.
so very very frustrating to watch, because he does have sick hands.

prediction: you will be calling for his head within a month.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bear in mind he most recently played himself off of a KHL team.
He was down to about 3 minutes of ice time at Atlant, until they finally washed heir hands of him
Report: KHL team can't stomach Kyle Wellwood, releases ex-Canuck - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

soft hands yes, but he is the absolute softest overall player I have ever seen in the game.
so very very frustrating to watch, because he does have sick hands.

prediction: you will be calling for his head within a month.

He'll probably play lights out his first week here resulting in a contract extension from Doug. Then he'll suck.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if he has a "concessions credit" clause in his contract for munching as many hotdogs as he wants for the remainder of the season?