• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shaq SHOULD have been GOAT if he had the work ethic of MJ

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a few players that could deal with Shaq on some level, but when he really "wanted" the ball and fought for position in the paint, the only thing you could do was double him fast, or foul him.

But...imo Shaq left a lot on the table, probably because he never had to develop other parts of his game, but never really developed much of a face the basket mid range game and of course free throws.

And he was fouled on basically every possession.

Guys leaning on him, extended forearms to the back, and sometimes just pushing him.....and just not called.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Kareem Abdul Jabaar, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson just to name a few were all more complete players. To be in the top 5, Shaq would have had to work really hard and made his free throws regularily. I think it's possible for him to have ended up in the top five if it wasn't for his being lazy, but I think he would have fallen short a few players.

I would have loved to seen Shaq face off with LeBron though - that would have been one hell of a match up

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he was fouled on basically every possession.

Guys leaning on him, extended forearms to the back, and sometimes just pushing him.....and just not called.

I think there really was an unspoken set of rules for guarding Shaq.

I didn't see the early part of Wilt's career, but I understand there was a lot of the same in his career. The league mostly just looked away I guess to make it competitive.

I think Shaq basically said, they can't legally stop what I'm bringing right now, there's no need for me to develop more to my arsenal

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there really was an unspoken set of rules for guarding Shaq.

I didn't see the early part of Wilt's career, but I understand there was a lot of the same in his career. The league mostly just looked away I guess to make it competitive.

I think Shaq basically said, they can't legally stop what I'm bringing right now, there's no need for me to develop more to my arsenal

And that first line is why the NBA will always be sports entertainment.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skillwise...Shaq is probably the 4 rated big in my opinion...behind Akeem, Wilt, Kareem.

He dominated largely because of his size...he was just so much bigger and more physical than the competition...the league sort created the unspoken, Shaq rules...just beat the hell out of him and hope he gets frustrated...the refs just rolled with it.

I would say Hakeem and Kareem were more skilled than Shaq, Wilt less so. Wilt was able to dominate for some of the same reasons as Shaq. He was just bigger and stronger than everyone else. Like Shaq, he was an excellent passer, but really couldn't score much more than a couple of feet from the basket. He did have a little softer touch around the rim than Shaq.

Shaq's skills are underrated because of how much bigger and stronger he was. Shaq was actually an excellent passer, had "soft hands" and developed a solid little one handed jumper out to about 10 feet.

I do agree though, that he tended to rely on his size advantage a bit too much.

Because of that, he didn't develop his skills to the point that he could have had he been willing to work on his game in the off-season and he paid for it later in his career.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who needs to all that skill when you can do this...

48ZEE0.gif

giphy.gif

Shaq had some footwork too..

TanNearIndianabat-max-1mb.gif

And check this one out...

Ae2D.gif

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which resulted in many false outcomes.

Because no one could actually guard him within the rules.

The product would've been horrible to watch, but in a real sport and not sports entertainment Shaq basically catches Red by himself.
Again, please list all professional sports that are not "sports entertainment"

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that first line is why the NBA will always be sports entertainment.
Along with the NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL, MMA, and every other professional sports league

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq could have been in the GOAT discussion, no question.

But he didn't have that will to greatness that Jordan or Lebron or Kobe had. He was perfectly content being the biggest guy on the court.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq at his peak was the most dominant player I had ever seen play the game. MJ wasn't dominant in the sense that you knew exactly what he was going to do every time, yet couldn't stop it. MJ at least had some variation to his game, by driving, posting, shooting mid range, etc.

Shaq you knew what he was going to do everytime, and you still couldn't stop it. You would game plan around it and he would still drop 35 and 18 easily. Shaq was a really underrated athlete too. Like others have said his footwork is probably one of the best for any big ever. It was that good. You just forget that because of his sheer size. But go back and watch him and see what he was able to do with his position and where he ended up everytime.

From a skill stand point. I think Hakeem is definitely 1, Kareem would be 2, but Shaq has to be 3. I go back and forth all the time between those 3 on who I think is the best. Fandom wise, I love Hakeem. But if I had to start a team from scratch to build around, prime Shaq is extremely hard to pass up.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq at his peak was the most dominant player I had ever seen play the game. MJ wasn't dominant in the sense that you knew exactly what he was going to do every time, yet couldn't stop it. MJ at least had some variation to his game, by driving, posting, shooting mid range, etc.

Shaq you knew what he was going to do everytime, and you still couldn't stop it. You would game plan around it and he would still drop 35 and 18 easily. Shaq was a really underrated athlete too. Like others have said his footwork is probably one of the best for any big ever. It was that good. You just forget that because of his sheer size. But go back and watch him and see what he was able to do with his position and where he ended up everytime.

From a skill stand point. I think Hakeem is definitely 1, Kareem would be 2, but Shaq has to be 3. I go back and forth all the time between those 3 on who I think is the best. Fandom wise, I love Hakeem. But if I had to start a team from scratch to build around, prime Shaq is extremely hard to pass up.

Have to throw peak Admiral in there as well.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to throw peak Admiral in there as well.

For me, Admiral is on the 2nd tier of all time great NBA Centers. I think on that second tier would be guys like him, Moses, Ewing, Mikan, etc.

Hakeem, Shaq, Wilt and Kareem are in a clear class by themselves, IMO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Hakeem and Kareem were more skilled than Shaq, Wilt less so. Wilt was able to dominate for some of the same reasons as Shaq. He was just bigger and stronger than everyone else. Like Shaq, he was an excellent passer, but really couldn't score much more than a couple of feet from the basket. He did have a little softer touch around the rim than Shaq.

Shaq's skills are underrated because of how much bigger and stronger he was. Shaq was actually an excellent passer, had "soft hands" and developed a solid little one handed jumper out to about 10 feet.

I do agree though, that he tended to rely on his size advantage a bit too much.

Because of that, he didn't develop his skills to the point that he could have had he been willing to work on his game in the off-season and he paid for it later in his career.

Shaq not only was a good passer, but a willing passer and had a good basketball IQ.

Wilt...spot on...he was Shaq before Shaq was Shaq...bigger, strong, taller. Wilt had the little finger roll, was leaner than Shaq, and I thought a few more moves than Shaq, but the reality was...aside from Russell, Wilt had no peer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Admiral is on the 2nd tier of all time great NBA Centers. I think on that second tier would be guys like him, Moses, Ewing, Mikan, etc.

Hakeem, Shaq, Wilt and Kareem are in a clear class by themselves, IMO.

Mikan I've only read about and watched footage...the original big.

Moses, wow/ I can't put him in that top 4 either, but he was a different animal...just a relentless work horse...old school basketball...man I miss that era when the bigs ruled the game.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he went 25/11 here

once

that was fun

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq not only was a good passer, but a willing passer and had a good basketball IQ.

Wilt...spot on...he was Shaq before Shaq was Shaq...bigger, strong, taller. Wilt had the little finger roll, was leaner than Shaq, and I thought a few more moves than Shaq, but the reality was...aside from Russell, Wilt had no peer.

Loved that finger roll he had. He definitely had more moves than Shaq. One of them was how he was able to do the finger roll.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jordan worship aside, i'm sure shaq did work hard. all world class athletes do.

shaq was not as athletic as chamberlain, or skilled as jabbar.

Not anywhere close to as skilled as Jabaar.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not anywhere close to as skilled as Jabaar.

shaq was great, but with his physical play, referees could have fouled him out anytime they wanted too.