• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sergio Romo

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like most of you, I want to see Casilla take his spot as the 8th inning set-up guy for the rest of the playoffs. I also however do still want to see Romo in a high leverage situation earlier in the game, just I'd prefer for now for him to face righties, since they own a collective .570 OPS against him. Bear in mind that he's 27 years old and still may get better. I don't think the situation in the game last night can get summed up any better than Baggs did here:

Giants: Sergio Romo isn't goat, after all

ATLANTA -- Until Brooks Conrad stole his horns, Sergio Romo was all set to be cast as the goat for Game 3.

And Giants manager Bruce Bochy would've been pilloried for allowing the matchup that ended with Eric Hinske's two-run home run off Romo in the eighth inning.

Instead, the box score included this funny line: Romo -- winning pitcher.

"Thank you, teammates," said Romo, accompanied by a deep exhale after the Giants rallied from their final strike for a 3-2 victory. "They picked me up. That was huge. They asked me to get a tough hitter out, and I couldn't do so tonight. But they kept fighting back. I love my team. I do. From the bottom of my heart."

Bochy went to Romo with one out in the eighth even though Jonathan Sanchez had a two-hit shutout and had thrown just 105 pitches. Braves manager Bobby Cox swapped pinch hitter Troy Glaus for a left-handed hitter, Hinske, who hit three pinch homers in the regular season.

Romo allowed six homers this year -- most among Giants relievers -- and he had given up singles to both batters he faced during the eighth-inning meltdown that cost them a victory in Game 2.

"I thought they might make a change," said Bochy, who also had left-hander Javier Lopez warm. "We thought, or I did, that Sanchez was at that point. "... Serge just made a mistake there, got the ball up, and they took advantage."

After Hinske's home run turned Turner Field into a maniacal scene, pitching coach Dave
Advertisement
Righetti went out to visit Romo.

"He told me these next two outs are important," Romo said. "I was fortunate to get the next two guys out and kept it there. Our guys were heartbroken I guess, but they knew we still had a chance. It's tough to get three outs in this league, and basically, we were ready to rock."

The Giants tied it, Conrad made his third error of the night to hand them the lead -- and Romo was the most grateful man in Georgia.

"It's baseball. There's a reason why I love and hate this sport," he said. "It's unbelievable. There's ups and downs that you can't explain, things come out of the blue. And hey man, I got a win in the postseason."

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the W, eh Tito? Sanchez no W. Romo W. Ergo Romo > Sanchez. Es obvio.

Total tangent here: what happened to Nolan? Can't say I mind his absence (ok a little, I do enjoy the messing with him)....I wonder if he got banned? I can't see it for the baseball board, he's not that kind of poster, but maybe he went bananas on the football board with how bad the 9ers have been?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the W, eh Tito? Sanchez no W. Romo W. Ergo Romo > Sanchez. Es obvio.

Total tangent here: what happened to Nolan? Can't say I mind his absence (ok a little, I do enjoy the messing with him)....I wonder if he got banned? I can't see it for the baseball board, he's not that kind of poster, but maybe he went bananas on the football board with how bad the 9ers have been?

I would think that a pantshitter extraordinaire like Nolan would be in hog heaven on the Niner board.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most of you, I want to see Casilla take his spot as the 8th inning set-up guy for the rest of the playoffs. I also however do still want to see Romo in a high leverage situation earlier in the game, just I'd prefer for now for him to face righties, since they own a collective .570 OPS against him. Bear in mind that he's 27 years old and still may get better. I don't think the situation in the game last night can get summed up any better than Baggs did here:

Giants: Sergio Romo isn't goat, after all

ATLANTA -- Until Brooks Conrad stole his horns, Sergio Romo was all set to be cast as the goat for Game 3.

And Giants manager Bruce Bochy would've been pilloried for allowing the matchup that ended with Eric Hinske's two-run home run off Romo in the eighth inning.

Instead, the box score included this funny line: Romo -- winning pitcher.

"Thank you, teammates," said Romo, accompanied by a deep exhale after the Giants rallied from their final strike for a 3-2 victory. "They picked me up. That was huge. They asked me to get a tough hitter out, and I couldn't do so tonight. But they kept fighting back. I love my team. I do. From the bottom of my heart."

Bochy went to Romo with one out in the eighth even though Jonathan Sanchez had a two-hit shutout and had thrown just 105 pitches. Braves manager Bobby Cox swapped pinch hitter Troy Glaus for a left-handed hitter, Hinske, who hit three pinch homers in the regular season.

Romo allowed six homers this year -- most among Giants relievers -- and he had given up singles to both batters he faced during the eighth-inning meltdown that cost them a victory in Game 2.

"I thought they might make a change," said Bochy, who also had left-hander Javier Lopez warm. "We thought, or I did, that Sanchez was at that point. "... Serge just made a mistake there, got the ball up, and they took advantage."

After Hinske's home run turned Turner Field into a maniacal scene, pitching coach Dave
Advertisement
Righetti went out to visit Romo.

"He told me these next two outs are important," Romo said. "I was fortunate to get the next two guys out and kept it there. Our guys were heartbroken I guess, but they knew we still had a chance. It's tough to get three outs in this league, and basically, we were ready to rock."

The Giants tied it, Conrad made his third error of the night to hand them the lead -- and Romo was the most grateful man in Georgia.

"It's baseball. There's a reason why I love and hate this sport," he said. "It's unbelievable. There's ups and downs that you can't explain, things come out of the blue. And hey man, I got a win in the postseason."

Also, good call again Nate. Since he struggled so badly in the beginning of the year (more with control than anything else), this guy scared/frustrated the shit out of me. I talked a lot of shit on him so I need to constantly acknowledge the crow I should eat for it.

Casilla was huge last night and he was absolutely huge in game 162 (and for a long time before that as well). Hopefully he can keep up with the strong outings.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, good call again Nate. Since he struggled so badly in the beginning of the year (more with control than anything else), this guy scared/frustrated the shit out of me. I talked a lot of shit on him so I need to constantly acknowledge the crow I should eat for it.

Casilla was huge last night and he was absolutely huge in game 162 (and for a long time before that as well). Hopefully he can keep up with the strong outings.

Thank you sir, and yes Casilla has been phenomenal. I think he had 1 bad week the whole seaon, other than that he's been fucking nasty. If I'm a hitter I would probably rather face Wilson than Casilla (mostly because he's 10X as likely to plant a fastball in somebody's skull.)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casilla's a future closer somewhere, for sure.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean he would have a lot of trade value for the Giants if they decided to package up some arms for a bat?

I would rather trade Wilson if we decide that Casilla is a stud. Wilson would bring back more in a trade and would save the G's $$.

I am not saying we should trade either, but between the two...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather trade Wilson if we decide that Casilla is a stud. Wilson would bring back more in a trade and would save the G's $$.

I am not saying we should trade either, but between the two...

We kinda talked about this before, Casilla can also be leverage with Wilson, we can get a better deal with him if we know we have a guy who can step in if he wants too much money.

We don't 'know' that but it's worth considering.

Anyone know Casilla's contract? How long is he locked up?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We kinda talked about this before, Casilla can also be leverage with Wilson, we can get a better deal with him if we know we have a guy who can step in if he wants too much money.

We don't 'know' that but it's worth considering.

Anyone know Casilla's contract? How long is he locked up?

I think Wilson already has his contract extension. Unless you mean after his current contract is up.

I'm not sure on Casilla, but I would guess it was a 1 year deal. Hopefully someone will correct me if not.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wilson already has his contract extension. Unless you mean after his current contract is up.

I'm not sure on Casilla, but I would guess it was a 1 year deal. Hopefully someone will correct me if not.

I knew that about Wilson, I'm saying if we keep Casilla that long and he continues to show results, we can use him for leverage.

And I was curious if we had him for past this year, then we could consider dealing him. If not we have to bid for him with everyone else. And other GMs might be willing to give him closer money, which we would not.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew that about Wilson, I'm saying if we keep Casilla that long and he continues to show results, we can use him for leverage.

And I was curious if we had him for past this year, then we could consider dealing him. If not we have to bid for him with everyone else. And other GMs might be willing to give him closer money, which we would not.

Gotcha, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. Yes, that would be an ideal situation.

Unfortunately, I think that is the case, but I hope to be wrong on this one.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
MLB trade rumors doesn't list Casilla as a free agent in 2011 or 2012, and prior to 2007, he had never thrown more than 6 innings in a single season, so I'm not sure if he's arbitration eligible or not.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is arbitration eligible. I don't know how much he would get, but I would assume it couldn't be more than $1.5 million.