• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC crying about Harbaugh coming to Florida for spring break

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So grey shirting, medical hardship, oversigning, special admission for athletes who don't meet the minimum requirement, text book scandals, academic scandals, numerous and numerous times being caught for impermissible benefits to recruits.
They draw the line though at sattelite football camps. PLEASE tell me you see the hypocrisy of this.

You can't answer the question because you are full of shit.

Oversigning isn't against NCAA rules(the SEC does have rules for the now though), neither is grey shirting, medical hardships(find them for me), and I'm pretty sure nobody in the SEC condones text book scandels(was done by students and was basically just getting a hookup), or academic cheating.

You're full of shit and your deflection is weak.

Nice try Michigan bandwagon fan.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't answer the question because you are full of shit.

Oversigning isn't against NCAA rules(the SEC does have rules for the now though), neither is grey shirting, medical hardships(find them for me), and I'm pretty sure nobody in the SEC condones text book scandels(was done by students and was basically just getting a hookup), or academic cheating.

You're full of shit and your deflection is weak.

Nice try Michigan bandwagon fan.
What am I deflecting? The grey shirts are legal, just like sattelite camps are. They are loop holes in the system. Let me guess, you are fine with circumventing the maximum number of scholarships allowed with grey shirts.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What am I deflecting? The grey shirts are legal, just like sattelite camps are. They are loop holes in the system. Let me guess, you are fine with circumventing the maximum number of scholarships allowed with grey shirts.

Grey shirts aren't a loophole. It's a delayed enrollment and counts on the next years class, it doesn't give anyone an extra scholarship.

But you still have not answered the question or responded to the actual post. That's why you are deflecting with all this other stuff.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grey shirts aren't a loophole. It's a delayed enrollment and counts on the next years class, it doesn't give anyone an extra scholarship.

But you still have not answered the question or responded to the actual post. That's why you are deflecting with all this other stuff.
Saying grey shirting players to get around the max number of scholarships allowed isnt a loop hole would be like me saying sattelite camps are legal and not a loop hole -- the Florida spring break practices aren't a loophole as they are legal. :L
I guess Michigan and the SEC are both on the up and up. Neither use loop holes and only use what is legal by NCAA standards

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying grey shirting players to get around the max number of scholarships allowed isnt a loop hole would be like me saying sattelite camps are legal and not a loop hole -- the Florida spring break practices aren't a loophole as they are legal. :L
I guess Michigan and the SEC are both on the up and up. Neither use loop holes and only use what is legal by NCAA standards
I am so glad tOSU and Urban Meyer are above these kinds of shady tactics. :rolleyes2:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad tOSU and Urban Meyer are above these kinds of shady tactics. :rolleyes2:
Other than the sattelite camp he did last summer for 500 high school recruits. :)

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the sattelite camp he did last summer for 500 high school recruits. :)
Just as a favor. He was asked by a friend, did one and done. It was the highlight of the those kids school years.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The part where you are wrong is that at no point in time is the school over or going around the max number of scholarships. Thus the reason why they have to delay to the next years class.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part where you are wrong is that at no point in time is the school over or going around the max number of scholarships. Thus the reason why they have to delay to the next years class.
Just want to confirm. It IS NOT going around the NCAA scholarship rule when you offer an athlete, then when you realize you have the max number in a recruiting class, you tell the recruit, you can stay here, but you have to grey shirt, delay enrollment and we will count you toward next year's class. THAT isn't "going around" the NCAA max scholarship rule? Really?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to confirm. It IS NOT going around the NCAA scholarship rule when you offer an athlete, then when you realize you have the max number in a recruiting class, you tell the recruit, you can stay here, but you have to grey shirt, delay enrollment and we will count you toward next year's class. THAT isn't "going around" the NCAA max scholarship rule? Really?
I don't see how it's going around anything. That recruit has all the options in the world to look elsewhere - a la those two recruits michigan pulled the scholarships from this year. In both instances, that recruit is free to sign elsewhere.

I feel like you're so against this simply because michigan hasn't done it yet. If instead of just yanking the scholarships, if Harbaugh had gone to Swenson and Weaver and offered greyshirts instead of just giving them the boot, would that piss you off?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how it's going around anything. That recruit has all the options in the world to look elsewhere - a la those two recruits michigan pulled the scholarships from this year. In both instances, that recruit is free to sign elsewhere.

I feel like you're so against this simply because michigan hasn't done it yet. If instead of just yanking the scholarships, if Harbaugh had gone to Swenson and Weaver and offered greyshirts instead of just giving them the boot, would that piss you off?
So it isn't being used to circumvent either the max scholarship per year or the 85 scholarship max overall?
Really? Why not just red shirt the player?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In all honesty, I couldn't care less about grey shirts. I brought it up because of comments regarding sattelite camps or the spring practice in Florida. Fans talk as if their teams don't do anything to bend the rules in their favor, when in fact, everyone does.
Nothing UM has done is against the rules stated by the NCAA. Same way teams like 'Bama, MSU and OSU have used ways to circumvent rules with grey shirts.
The same way the SEC used grossly oversigning to their advantage before some schools went overboard and the conference had to step in and make a rule.
I wholeheartedly believe UM will use grey shirts in the future and any other tactic that they feel will give them any type of advantage.
What I won't be doing is making excuses for them. I know exactly why they hold the sattelite camps, I know exactly why they are holding spring practice in Florida -- I also know exactly why teams utilize grey shirts and when Michigan does it and they will, I'm sure, in the future -- I won't be making lame excuses to hide the fact they are doing so to circumvent NCAA limits on scholarships.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, I couldn't care less about grey shirts. I brought it up because of comments regarding sattelite camps or the spring practice in Florida. Fans talk as if their teams don't do anything to bend the rules in their favor, when in fact, everyone does.
Nothing UM has done is against the rules stated by the NCAA. Same way teams like 'Bama, MSU and OSU have used ways to circumvent rules with grey shirts.
The same way the SEC used grossly oversigning to their advantage before some schools went overboard and the conference had to step in and make a rule.
I wholeheartedly believe UM will use grey shirts in the future and any other tactic that they feel will give them any type of advantage.
What I won't be doing is making excuses for them. I know exactly why they hold the sattelite camps, I know exactly why they are holding spring practice in Florida -- I also know exactly why teams utilize grey shirts and when Michigan does it and they will, I'm sure, in the future -- I won't be making lame excuses to hide the fact they are doing so to circumvent NCAA limits on scholarships.
Well said.

Honestly, though, I don't see grey-shirting as a way around scholarship numbers. The main reason? The following year, it will count against them, so it all comes full circle eventually. Sure, it will give a temporary reprieve, but after one cycle, it's moot because now your next class will have that one counting against it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said.

Honestly, though, I don't see grey-shirting as a way around scholarship numbers. The main reason? The following year, it will count against them, so it all comes full circle eventually. Sure, it will give a temporary reprieve, but after one cycle, it's moot because now your next class will have that one counting against it.
I agree. It does count against the next cycle. But with amount of roster attrition top programs have. The extra player isn't going to have any effect at all. If you will be losing a couple OL. You sign a couple extra -- grey shirt them. It gives the players an extra year to put on weight, learn the playbook, etc and the next year when those OL leave. You have more depth at that position.
All major programs do everything in their power to use the rules to their advantage. Making excuses for them is silly, as they all do it.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at this thread. Guess I'll contribute....

MY GAWD WILL NOBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?????