• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC breaks record for bowl victories

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC is good because they are favored in games.
SEC is bad because they are favored in games and shouldn't be.
SEc always plays down so you discount all their wins.
SEC wins because of the media hype?

Help me reconcile this in my mind or we good, over rated or just suck? I need to know my self esteem is bouncing back and forth.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this posted somewhere else. It was on the internet, so I assume it must be true

ACC
Top 25 Bowl Opponents: 4
Wins over the Top 25: 1
Total Bowl Games: 9
Overall Record: 4-5

Big 10
Top 25 Bowl Opponents: 6
Wins over the Top 25: 3
Total Bowl Games: 10
Overall Record: 5-5

Big 12
Top 25 Bowl Opponents:5
Wins over the Top 25: 2
Total Bowl Games: 7
Overall Record: 3-4

PAC12
Top 25 Bowl Opponents: 2
Overall Record: 6-4

SEC
Overall Record: 8-2

Quick take away. Pac has a pretty poor performance. 2 ranked opponents in 10 bowls and just a 6-4 record. They need to get some better bowls. SEC did well. Big 10's 5-5 record looks better here. Big 10 and Big 12 were the only conference's that had the majority of bowls vs ranked opponents
The Big 12 could easily have been 1 - 6. Baylor is the only team that won impressively.

WV barely beats ASU who aTm by 21 points.
If Adams doesn't get hurt TCU gets completely mauled it's a miracle they won.

By far the Big 12 did the worst in post season.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 could easily have been 1 - 6. Baylor is the only team that won impressively.

WV barely beats ASU who aTm by 21 points.
If Adams doesn't get hurt TCU gets completely mauled it's a miracle they won.

By far the Big 12 did the worst in post season.

Really? You are going to say TCU without their QB got lucky, because Oregon only had their QB for a half?
They could have been? YOu are reaching.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? You are going to say TCU without their QB got lucky, because Oregon only had their QB for a half?
They could have been? YOu are reaching.
I'm not going to give credit to Boykin when he punched a police officer. Injuries on the field are a different matter and TCU is fortunate Adams got injured and it's the only reason TCU won.

Hell if Oregon had their center healthy they probably win, the QB/Center exchange was a huge problem so I don't think it's a reach at all.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to give credit to Boykin when he punched a police officer. Injuries on the field are a different matter and TCU is fortunate Adams got injured and it's the only reason TCU won.

Hell if Oregon had their center healthy they probably win, the QB/Center exchange was a huge problem so I don't think it's a reach at all.

So it is not luck when a player is thrown off the team 2 days before a bowl game for non-football related activities, but pure luck when a player gets knocked out of a game due to a football play. Is that your stance?

Most logical people would look at the game and say TCU did not have their starter and Oregon lost their starter, so it was a pretty fair match-up

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC is good because they are favored in games.
SEC is bad because they are favored in games and shouldn't be.
SEc always plays down so you discount all their wins.
SEC wins because of the media hype?

Help me reconcile this in my mind or we good, over rated or just suck? I need to know my self esteem is bouncing back and forth.

Wait, wut? I thought ESPN bias had swung to the Big Ten?

:markmay: :herbie: :urbs: :fowler: :alvarez: :harbaugh::shrug:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC was easily the worst of the P5's.

They were only 2-4 against non mid-majors.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is not luck when a player is thrown off the team 2 days before a bowl game for non-football related activities, but pure luck when a player gets knocked out of a game due to a football play. Is that your stance?

Most logical people would look at the game and say TCU did not have their starter and Oregon lost their starter, so it was a pretty fair match-up

"Logical people" would realize it was a "pretty fair match-up" for only the 2nd half.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Logical people" would realize it was a "pretty fair match-up" for only the 2nd half.

and a disadvantage in the first half for TCU. Thanks for helping my pt

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not theory it's fact. If the 9th ranked team from one conference plays the 9th ranked team from another they should be similar if the conferences are similar...they are not. The betting odds are which team is better...what do you not get about that. The were favored because the SEC teams were seen as better and the results prove that.

That is the full story PERIOD.

That's absurdly untrue and has always been untrue. Post season games are all about matchups. For example, the Texas Tech and LSU matchup. LSU being the 4th best team in the SEC should mean they are a little bit better than the 6th best team in the B12 on paper. But that completely ignores the fact that TTU has one of the worst defenses, particularly run defense in the country and is woefully undersized while LSU is very large and has one of the best if not the best running backs in the game. It's a complete mismatch.

NW vs Tennessee. NW being #4 in the B1G vs Tenn, the #5 in the SEC so on paper NW would have the slight edge, that's an inaccurate depiction. NW, like TTU is very undersized and the talent gap between the 2 programs is laughable. NW got their doors blown off vs both Iowa and Michigan earlier and proceeded to get their doors blown vs Tenn.

Michigan vs Florida. Florida the #3 in SEC vs Michigan, the #5 in the B1G. On paper, this should be a Florida favorite, but Michigan destroyed Florida for several reasons.

Had the matchups there been switched, I think we might have had 2 pretty close games b/t Michigan & Tenn and NW and UF.

Just taking final conference standing and ignoring everything else and expecting the games to be good measurements of conference strength is faulty because it ignores injury, how the teams closed the season, coaching changes, etc etc.

Is the SEC the best football conference this year? Hard to argue otherwise. Were they the beneficiaries of favorable bowl matchups for the most part? Absolutely, but the teams also took care of business.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC has been the best conference for quite some time now.

I don't really feel like getting into conference pecking order bit if UF was the #2 SEC team they would have played in a New Years 6 bowl.

By playing in the CCG, they are technically the #2 team in the conference. What did the final CFP ranks have them, 3rd? Not a ton of difference there, but by the end of the season I wouldn't have ranked them in the top 5 of that conference.

By the same token, Michigan was ranked below Northwestern in conference standing at the end of the season, but I don't think you'll find many people arguing NW is better than Michigan, especially given that Michigan blew them out this season once already.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this posted somewhere else. It was on the internet, so I assume it must be true

ACC
Total Bowl Games: 9
Overall Record: 4-5

Big 10
Top 25 Bowl Opponents: 6
Overall Record: 5-5

Big 12
Top 25 Bowl Opponents:5
Wins over the Top 25: 2
Total Bowl Games: 7
Overall Record: 3-4

PAC12
Top 25 Bowl Opponents: 2
Overall Record: 6-4

SEC
Overall Record: 8-2

Quick take away. Pac has a pretty poor performance. 2 ranked opponents in 10 bowls and just a 6-4 record. They need to get some better bowls. SEC did well. Big 10's 5-5 record looks better here. Big 10 and Big 12 were the only conference's that had the majority of bowls vs ranked opponents

going .500 or better in bowl games has always been seen as a good year for the B1G since they always have strong bowl tie-ins. The PAC plays too many bowls vs MWC schools...

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the very good fortunate of tSEC that they RARELY are paired with PAC12 or even MWC teams in bowl games.

We already know what it looks like for Bama to get UTAHED!!! :nod:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the very good fortunate of tSEC that they RARELY are paired with PAC12 or even MWC teams in bowl games.

We already know what it looks like for Bama to get UTAHED!!! :nod:

The Big Ten chickened out on playing the PAC12.

The PAC12 is horrified of the SEC.

Now the Big Ten is dead and relegated somewhere below the Big XII.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sooo much fun to see these threads about SEC dominance fill up with angry Big Ten fans. :happy:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not luck to get thrown off the team, it's stupidity. Boykin made the choice to be an idiot, Adam's did not choose to be injured. Had everyone been healthy then it is a different game but we knew Boykin would be out and TCU is incredibly lucky to have won.

Nothing wrong with my reasoning.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise really, lots of good quality schools in the SEC.