• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also bringing Huff back with him as well.

No idea if it will work, but boy are they leaving the Carroll era in the dust.
I sure hope he brings Huff with him. I image DeBoer will be trying his best to keep him on his staff.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope he brings Huff with him. I image DeBoer will be trying his best to keep him on his staff.
Saw two posts about it last night and one was a Bama resource saying Huff was also going. Wait for the official, but sure sounded like it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grubb typically didn't call plays for the Huskies. Did not realize that.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grubb typically didn't call plays for the Huskies. Did not realize that.
Wtf GIF by MOODMAN

He did call plays the whole time he was here.

There's a reason Bama tried to grab him last year.

He's a presence on the field in practice known for being tough. Background in OL which is a major focus of his alignments and motions.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf GIF by MOODMAN

He did call plays the whole time he was here.

There's a reason Bama tried to grab him last year.

He's a presence on the field in practice known for being tough. Background in OL which is a major focus of his alignments and motions.
OK that is what I thought ( although I don't get to watch the Huskies much) was watching this video:

At the 14:30-15 mark dumbass claims DeBoer calls most of the plays, while being way negative about Grubb offensive scheme. Won't waste my time on them after this.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK that is what I thought ( although I don't get to watch the Huskies much) was watching this video:

At the 14:30-15 mark dumbass claims DeBoer calls most of the plays, while being way negative about Grubb offensive scheme. Won't waste my time on them after this.
who are these people?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've always been more college than pro football, but obviously follow both. College has been sliding in my book with the NIL/Portal bullshit, but I'm still on it.

I don't know who that Adam guy is, but he's entirely clueless. Claimed Grubb "doesn't even call the plays" as he's throwing a fit over the hire. Didn't listen to most of it, just heard around the 11:45 mark where he made that quote.

DeBoer and Grubb are both offensive minded coaches and DeBoer has been an OC in the past as well and has called plays. He didn't call plays for UW nor Fresno. Not sure prior to that, but Grubb has been with him at other stops. Grubb did the game planning and called the plays. Took 100% responsibility in every loss (not that there were many lol) and even wins where the offense sputtered and detailed what his plans and calls were and what he would do differently next time.

If you go look for Grubb pressers you can't come away from them thinking DeBoer was running that side of the ball.

Now, I wasn't entirely sold on him as the OC for the Seahawks. He's only been running a P5 level offense for 2 years and had a generational type of QB to work with. Not enough experience at that level, more or less no NFL experience at all. Can he move the ball with Geno under center? A lot of unknowns for sure.

They also did have the Moore award winning O line with a lot of 3 star/4 star undersized guys and turned DJ into a force in the running game after losing their expected RB for the season in fall camp.

In that video their worry over the motions and alignments tells me they don't understand the fundamentals of football. One of the big reasons NFL teams use motion is to give the QB some idea of what defensive play call they are up against. Who follows the motion? Can you trigger them to show a blitz before the snap? Are they at least showing man or zone? Keep the defense thinking and adjusting right up to the snap.

Yes, it is also meant to hide the snap formation to give the defense as little information as possible while they are setting their play call. The idea that you can only use trickery a few times as that Adam guy said? :L

He has zero clue what he's talking about. If that's all it was, no NFL team would use motion.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that video their worry over the motions and alignments tells me they don't understand the fundamentals of football.
In the video they also complain about about to much running outside and not enough running up the middle by the Huskies. It's almost comical to listen to them as they clearly prefer football from the 60's and 70's and this new age football is to finesse for their taste. LOL

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the video they also complain about about to much running outside and not enough running up the middle by the Huskies. It's almost comical to listen to them as they clearly prefer football from the 60's and 70's and this new age football is to finesse for their taste. LOL
You define a great OC by how they adapt to take full advantage of their strengths and cover up their weaknesses.

It would have been criminal not to build that offense around Penix and try to force more of a NFL power running game.

If he comes here and tries to have Geno run the same system then they did screw up.

I have no doubt that RS and Macdonald spoke in depth about how he would approach the roster they have now.

That they hired him makes me believe they thought he can adapt.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You define a great OC by how they adapt to take full advantage of their strengths and cover up their weaknesses.

It would have been criminal not to build that offense around Penix and try to force more of a NFL power running game.

If he comes here and tries to have Geno run the same system then they did screw up.

I have no doubt that RS and Macdonald spoke in depth about how he would approach the roster they have now.

That they hired him makes me believe they thought he can adapt.
I think they'll run a semi scaled back version of the system they want to run until they bring in a QB of their liking. If Geno does well with it then maybe they'll try to run the full system they envision.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix is unique. His downfield accuracy is off the charts. Even when he missed he really missed to the coverage.

What they ran with him won't work in the NFL without that kind of arm talent and I doubt they find one.

And no, I don't want to see them draft Penix. His injury history makes hanging your whole franchise on him a big risk even if he's a crazy good talent.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess a Michael Penix draft selection is a possibility?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why -- because they hired Grubb? I really don't think he's coming fresh into the NFL and standing on the desk to get Schneider to draft the QB he wants. Grubb is in receive mode. If they like Penix a lot right now, they also liked him well before hiring Grubb.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why -- because they hired Grubb? I really don't think he's coming fresh into the NFL and standing on the desk to get Schneider to draft the QB he wants. Grubb is in receive mode. If they like Penix a lot right now, they also liked him well before hiring Grubb.

Yeah. I doubt that Grubb would get to pick and choose his QB. We don't really know what he thinks about Penix. He may love him and advocate for him with JS but ultimately it's JS that will decide or JS and MM will collectively decide.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibility? Yes. Sure thing ? No. Don't even know if he'll still be on the board and remember the HC has ties with Michigan and McCarty. I like the idea of drafting Penix but we will just have to see what happens.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well yes naturally the decision wouldn't be up to him but I was thinking more like the same OC that developed him into a Heisman candidate would the one working with him in his NFL career. It could work both ways he can say that he knows him well enough that he isn't NFL material.

All I know is that we once drafted a shot QB in the 3rd round that was rated a 4th or 5th rounder and made him into an all pro super bowl winner. Also we just had a Mr. Irrelevant QB play in the super bowl whom is also a pro bowler.