• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahaawks trade for Leonard Williams

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the intent with Williams is to sign him to an extension. Someone mentioned that if Chase puts together a good season I think he would want to test the free agent market. Either way I think that there is a bigger want in the interior line as opposed to an edge rusher. Everything doesn't stop and end with sacks by the way.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About where I graded it (post #30).

I think for years Pete has been trying to find a replacement Michael Bennett and sadly has failed, but this is that player. Williams/Reed/Jones with Mafe/Witherspoon/Adams/Brooks/Clark options at the pass rush is going to be disgusting for offenses to play against.
The problem with the trade in my eye's is what does this do for the Seahawks ? It's a rent a player for a valuable 2nd round pick that should of been used to continue building the roster. So is this a good move if the Seahawks miss the playoffs? How about if they make the playoffs but are one and done, does that make it worth it? To me it only makes sense if the Seahawks at least go to the Conference championship and I'm not sure this move gets the team to that point. Going to feel like a waste of a good asset just making the playoffs. Next season the Seahawks cap space is limited so draft picks are that much more important to continue improving.Remember this is a second for half a season worth of play from Williams IF HE STAYS HEALTHY. Imagine if he ends up missing multiple games like he did last year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the trade in my eye's is what does this do for the Seahawks ? It's a rent a player for a valuable 2nd round pick that should of been used to continue building the roster. So is this a good move if the Seahawks miss the playoffs? How about if they make the playoffs but are one and done, does that make it worth it? To me it only makes sense if the Seahawks at least go to the Conference championship and I'm not sure this move gets the team to that point. Going to feel like a waste of a good asset just making the playoffs. Next season the Seahawks cap space is limited so draft picks are that much more important to continue improving.Remember this is a second for half a season worth of play from Williams IF HE STAYS HEALTHY. Imagine if he ends up missing multiple games like he did last year.

And what if they make it to the conference championship or Super Bowl?

We still have 7 draft picks in 2024. There are only so many spots on the roster. This seems like a great use of a resource to instantly build the team.

The point of playing the game is to win games. If we are going to keep Pete as our head coach then we will always be a win now team. Personally, I think it is going to be pretty fun watching this defense play, which isn't something I've said since the early 2010s.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean great points Harold and hence my initial grade.

I think Seattle's coaching staff and FO thinks Williams can take this team over the top and win the division.... if that happens or we make a deeper playoff run, even for one year it's worth it. I can't remember if I said it here or not, but this is very reminiscent of the Sheldon Richardson trade... Williams IMO is a better player, but it's on the same tier.

We still have two 3rd rounders (one which will hopefully be earlier) and could very much get a 3rd compensatory out of this or sign Williams up for a longer term deal..... we own the rights to him now before FA kicks off..

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what if they make it to the conference championship or Super Bowl?

We still have 7 draft picks in 2024. There are only so many spots on the roster. This seems like a great use of a resource to instantly build the team.

The point of playing the game is to win games. If we are going to keep Pete as our head coach then we will always be a win now team. Personally, I think it is going to be pretty fun watching this defense play, which isn't something I've said since the early 2010s.
If they make the Conference Championship , then I'd say it's worth it. Going need a lot of things to go right for to happen. Yes 5-2 looks good, but 3 of those wins were against the worse teams in the league and while the Browns win was nice it was against a back up QB. The schedule is going to get much tougher and wins are going to be difficult. This weekend game is going to be a good test as the Ravens are a good team likely to make the playoffs, need to win that game.
Geno Smith better discover his A game and Williams needs to stay healthy and playing well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean great points Harold and hence my initial grade.

I think Seattle's coaching staff and FO thinks Williams can take this team over the top and win the division.... if that happens or we make a deeper playoff run, even for one year it's worth it. I can't remember if I said it here or not, but this is very reminiscent of the Sheldon Richardson trade... Williams IMO is a better player, but it's on the same tier.

We still have two 3rd rounders (one which will hopefully be earlier) and could very much get a 3rd compensatory out of this or sign Williams up for a longer term deal..... we own the rights to him now before FA kicks off..
Very much like the Sheldon Richardson trade except that was for a full season of Richardson vs a half a season from Williams. If I remember right the Seahawks missed the playoffs the year they traded for Richardson.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they make the Conference Championship , then I'd say it's worth it. Going need a lot of things to go right for to happen. Yes 5-2 looks good, but 3 of those wins were against the worse teams in the league and while the Browns win was nice it was against a back up QB. The schedule is going to get much tougher and wins are going to be difficult. This weekend game is going to be a good test as the Ravens are a good team likely to make the playoffs, need to win that game.
Geno Smith better discover his A game and Williams needs to stay healthy and playing well.

IMO, this team SHOULD get better. We have several rookies and 2nd year players that are key players. Each game helps them improve.

IMO, when healthy the Seahawks are one of the top 4 teams in the NFC. But staying healthy will be crucial for them, as is true for every team.

I don't think we NEED to win on Sunday. I do think we need to be competitive which I think we will be.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much like the Sheldon Richardson trade except that was for a full season of Richardson vs a half a season from Williams. If I remember right the Seahawks missed the playoffs the year they traded for Richardson.

I don't see this as being similar to the Richardson trade. That was a desperation move driven by the McDowell injury. PC/JS were hoping that Richardson could come him and fix the defensive line. They were hoping for something that was simply not realistic and ultimately didn't pan out. The trade that was similar to that trade was the Jamal Adams trade, which was also a desperation move because they didn't resign Clowney and realized we had no pass rush.

This an opportunity move. The DL is actually pretty good. We have 26 sacks for the season. We are on pace for 60. Granted that is tilted by the 11 sack game by Giants but even if we take that game out, we are averaging nearly 3 sacks a game. What we have needed, IMO, is to get more interior pressure to get the QB off his mark and prevent those quick throws in the middle. Hopefully Williams can help with that and take a pretty good defense to very good.

It's a reasonable risk to take. Of course you never want to lose 2nd round picks but what they are building to win now, not 3 years from now when the team will likely be very different.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schedule is going to get much tougher and wins are going to be difficult.
Which is a big reason for the trade, no? 6 of our next 8 games are against teams ranked in the top 10 rush offenses...

They're making their move because we're in the thick of things... We're 5-2... We shouldn't just stay content with 5 wins and keep our 2nd rounder next year in hopes that we make the right pick with it next year... We're one of the youngest teams in the league already... What are the odds we land a starter with the 2nd rounder next year anyways? Not very high imo...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made this trade from a position of strength, not desperation, like flyer hawk said.

And someone else mentioned, we forced the niners hand and they traded for chase young which is a pure desperation move on their part.

There is blood in the water and everyone knows it. When we crush the niners on thanksgiving i hope we run up the score, no mercy

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made this trade from a position of strength, not desperation, like flyer hawk said.

And someone else mentioned, we forced the niners hand and they traded for chase young which is a pure desperation move on their part.

There is blood in the water and everyone knows it. When we crush the niners on thanksgiving i hope we run up the score, no mercy
You and Flyerhawk agreeing? Are pigs flying now? Did hell freeze over? :dhd:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, this team SHOULD get better. We have several rookies and 2nd year players that are key players. Each game helps them improve.

IMO, when healthy the Seahawks are one of the top 4 teams in the NFC. But staying healthy will be crucial for them, as is true for every team.

I don't think we NEED to win on Sunday. I do think we need to be competitive which I think we will be.
Well they do have the Rams ( who seem to have the Seahawks number,) 49ers twice, Cowboys and Eagles coming up so I feel it would be a good thing to beat the Ravens, but technically not absolutely necessary.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like that we aren't committed to Williams financially either. So if he is a bust or doesn't play up to his expected contract, we let him walk and get whatever draft comp we wind up with. If we wind up with a 3rd or 4th, then that is a pretty easy decision.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they do have the Rams ( who seem to have the Seahawks number,) 49ers twice, Cowboys and Eagles coming up so I feel it would be a good thing to beat the Ravens, but technically not absolutely necessary.

The schedule is tough for sure. No matter what we are going to need 3 wins out of the Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers(2X), and Ravens with one of them being against the Niners to have a real shot at the division. But of those top 5 games, I would put the Eagles and 2 Niners games as the most important and the Ravens games as the least since it is non-conference.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schedule is tough for sure. No matter what we are going to need 3 wins out of the Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers(2X), and Ravens with one of them being against the Niners to have a real shot at the division. But of those top 5 games, I would put the Eagles and 2 Niners games as the most important and the Ravens games as the least since it is non-conference.
Rams and 49ers twice, those being division games think the Seahawks need two wins from those match ups.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams and 49ers twice, those being division games think the Seahawks need two wins from those match ups.
Agreed. Honestly, we HAVE to beat the Rams, Steelers, Titans, Cardinals and Washington because we have so many tough games ahead.

If we win those 5 then we could even go 2-3 against the big 5 and wind up 12-5.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the season did anybody feel like we did not do enough improving the three big guys in the three four. I always felt we only acquired two of the three. We need to do this. Jones, Reeds play will drastically get better with a third strong player helping out. Even after the Williams trade we still lack depth

With our current scheme, on most downs will have only one DE/OLB on the field. We have Mafe, Clark,Taylor and Hall for that position. Except Adams and Spoon to blitz more often

We really run a 3 3 5 defense

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My new nemesis is @Screamin12th :)

@MrS and I have been more agreeable this season than in past seasons. I think our only real disagreement was on JSN.

??? Why because you drop on your knees for Geno after the coin flip? Why would "MY" opinion which BTW we all have a right to, make me your nemesis? Take things personal much? lol Well if it makes you feel better you are not mine. I like my nemesis's to actually not be afraid to admit the truth and to think for themselves :laugh3:

Just kidding BTW don't get your panties in a bunch. lol