• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahaawks trade for Leonard Williams

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears giving up a 2nd for montez sweat, which will be almost a first.

Im going out on a limb and guessing it would have cost us our 1st rounder to get him.
I agree with that... or our 2nd this year and next year...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears giving up a 2nd for montez sweat, which will be almost a first.

Im going out on a limb and guessing it would have cost us our 1st rounder to get him.

and I think that Williams fits our need far more than Sweat. Sweat is a lot more like Taylor and Mafe and Hall. We need more beef on the line that can get to the passer up the middle.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweat didn't come for $650K (he came for $6M) and is going to command a MASSIVE contract next year which the Bears can afford. Williams plays a different position at DT/DE (which we need) but is basically free at this point and will likely come cheaper if Seattle resigns him. Seattle cannot afford a massive contract next year for Sweat and with Nwosu back and Hall progressing (hopefully) there's just zero need. Imagine if we had Nwosu right now with Williams coming over? That'd be fucking insane, now you're approaching SBOWL bound defense.

Both are very similar trades, there's just different needs at the moment from Chicago/Seattle. It's an interesting trade by Chicago... this will probably help them win a few more games and take their own pick out of the top 5 or top 3 which probably could've been sold for a King's ransom if Maye was there.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well point being, the trade made sense for both teams. I get 'who won' is kind of pointless, but just saying I'd give a SLIGHT nod to the Giants. That said, Seattle also had to give up a bit more draft capital because we couldn't take on his salary hit. I know a lot of people were like, "CHRIS JONES SEAHAWKS!" That would've not only cost more (in capital) but Seattle simply didn't have the cap room to afford him lol. I hate to say it but we need to keep some money around to sign guys in the event of injury (just like Frank Clark). Seattle can roll over that salary cap as well if (and hopefully) everyone stays healthy.

Agreed. There were only so many options available.

I think people that hate the trade (and there are people who do) are forgetting a lot about the financial implications of it. If we gave up a 2nd and 5th and absorbed the full salary I'd mark this down to a D or C range for Seattle.

I also agree 100% with your last few sentences... there's not a lot of depth on Seattle's DL and while I think our younger guys have done a great job, if Jones or Reed go out this defense is likely done. Williams not only ensures that's not the case but a combo of Reed/Williams/Jones on the field is going to make things quite difficult for offenses, coupled with Brooks/Wagner/Mafe and Witherspoon/Adams doing their thing. On paper that sounds like a nightmare.

I think the people that are hating the trade are wildly overvaluing draft picks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweat didn't come for $650K (he came for $6M) and is going to command a MASSIVE contract next year which the Bears can afford. Williams plays a different position at DT/DE (which we need) but is basically free at this point and will likely come cheaper if Seattle resigns him. Seattle cannot afford a massive contract next year for Sweat and with Nwosu back and Hall progressing (hopefully) there's just zero need. Imagine if we had Nwosu right now with Williams coming over? That'd be fucking insane, now you're approaching SBOWL bound defense.

Both are very similar trades, there's just different needs at the moment from Chicago/Seattle. It's an interesting trade by Chicago... this will probably help them win a few more games and take their own pick out of the top 5 or top 3 which probably could've been sold for a King's ransom if Maye was there.

Sweat would not have been worth it for the Seahawks even if he is the better player, which is far from certain.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweat would not have been worth it for the Seahawks even if he is the better player, which is far from certain.
I like Williams for us more than Sweat anyway. Williams can step right in and make a difference in more ways than the pass rush. He fits our team to a T, imo.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Williams for us more than Sweat anyway. Williams can step right in and make a difference in more ways than the pass rush. He fits our team to a T, imo.

He's an all over the line player. VERY similar to Michael Bennett which Carroll despite trying, never found a replacement for.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's an excellent trade for the Vikes. I don't like it because the Cards suck anyway and this just makes the Vikes more competitive and we want them to lose so they don't sniff a wild card spot... but I can't deny it's a solid move by both teams. Obviously the midget is back for the Cards and they should be in 100% tank mode at the moment given they have the #1 overall pick (although I think Williams would be like "Fuck that shit" if the season ended today) but Dobbs should be far better off in Minny given better receivers.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's an excellent trade for the Vikes. I don't like it because the Cards suck anyway and this just makes the Vikes more competitive and we want them to lose so they don't sniff a wild card spot... but I can't deny it's a solid move by both teams. Obviously the midget is back for the Cards and they should be in 100% tank mode at the moment given they have the #1 overall pick (although I think Williams would be like "Fuck that shit" if the season ended today) but Dobbs should be far better off in Minny given better receivers.
As weak as the NFCS and the rest of the conference is beyond the top 5 teams, the Vikings would be a likely candidate for the 7 seed with Mullens or virtually anybody back there so I don't think it matters Shark. Hell, they could get a WC with Christian Ponder 2.0.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As weak as the NFCS and the rest of the conference is beyond the top 5 teams, the Vikings would be a likely candidate for the 7 seed with Mullens or virtually anybody back there so I don't think it matters Shark. Hell, they could get a WC with Christian Ponder 2.0.

Christian Ponder... :pound:

Strange, you've just gone too far with the comedy.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9ers trade for chase young son of a biiiiiiitch

For a 3rd round pick wtf thats highway robbery

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

south-park-eric-cartman.gif

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams is the missing cog in the wheel for the scheme we run. We want to run predominantly nickel. We need more size and talent in the front three to do so. Williams will perfectly compliment Reed and Jones. He is exactly what we needed.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams is the missing cog in the wheel for the scheme we run. We want to run predominantly nickel. We need more size and talent in the front three to do so. Williams will perfectly compliment Reed and Jones. He is exactly what we needed.

100%. I don't know if it will work but Seattle has been wanting to do a 3-3-5 style defense for the longest time. Williams/Reed/Jones works. Having Witherspoon (still eating crow, I get it)/Adams/Woolen/Brown/Diggs on the field along with Wagner/Brooks/Mafe is on paper, insane.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yikes. 49ers are trade sharks, though Young stock has dropped a ton.