• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahaawks trade for Leonard Williams

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a team that plays the NYG twice a year, that dude is a load

I Call em Fat boys and we needed as to last season. Those guys that you can throw in and Push the line, Power Rush or Stuff the Run.

That is one of the reasons i love this trade.

Another is it helps create confusion for the Denfense. Whose on the line...............

Takes away from their concentration and focus on execution

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last season, we all agreed we needed to get much better in the middle of the defensive line. Made some good moves adding Jones and Reed. And even though those moves worked out, I felt we needed more beef and had room for improvement. The team agreed. Do need to extend him

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess he's s good player but not thrilled with them trading away draft capitol. They already had a slew of DE's.
I hate giving up draft capital as well, was a 2nd and a 5th right ? Not crazy bad considering he was the 6th overall in 2015 and is in his prime at 29… Definite upgrade for us right now …

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we gave up the second because basically the Giants ate Williams' entire contract. It still seems steep for a midseason trade.

I think Seattle is just all in at this point... Also, Diggs will likely be gone next season and Geno will give us a ton of cap relief because he's nowhere near hitting the numbers he did last year... so yah... resigning Williams to a 3 year $30M seems reasonable.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but QB pressures are one of those bogus stats which are subjective, unlike sacks or QB hits. This stat is used often to fluff a player resume who otherwise has crappy stats and the sites we general use for stats don't include QB pressure for this reason. Show me a player who's best stat is QB pressure and I'll show you a player who is more hype than a player who actually produces. Sorry for the rant, but had to get this pet peeve of mine off my chest.

100% This, If a guy gets pressure but the QB held the ball for 4 seconds before he got that pressure that doesn't equal a win in my eyes. I think if i am not wrong they judge a pressure if you are with in 3 yards of the QB when he throws and they judge that your pressure made him throw. It's very subjective.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those moves to get a bit better right now for valuable draft capitol they are going to need next draft. Think the ceiling for success this season is to low to make this kind of move. Nobody is mentioning the Seahawks as SuperBowl candidates and the Seahawks do not have a ton of cap space next year which makes draft picks essential to continue building the roster. I'm just going to hope the Seahawks exceed my expectations, which were higher than most at the start of the season as I went with 12-5 which was perhaps overly optimistic. I feel the Seahawks are still in the middle of a rebuild, one which mostly has been good with acquiring good players the last two drafts, but is still under construction IMO. Never been one to like Pete/John moves to sacrifice future draft capitol to get marginally better right now.
I can only hope the season goes much better than I anticipated.

I know you have seen me say " This feels like a TR move" before, This 100% feels like a TR move. TR gutted this team by giving up Draft capital for players and THAT is what happened to the 2008-2009 Seahawks. Pete HAD to make something like 100+ moves to try and get some what of some talent on this team his first year here. I never like trading Draft Capital for a player unless it's a final piece to get you into your window. Like say the Hawks traded a 1st, 2nd rounder and a 1st in 2025 with Geno for Herbert I would understand it as a win now move. This move giving up a 2nd for a 29 year old on his final year just feels like a TR move. You hurt the chance for young talented depth for a aging rental player that, like it or not, WILL HURT you in a rebuild.

Draft Capital is so very valuable and not to mention the Hawks NEVER get this good of deals when they try to trade aging players. This to me is like the Hawks trading Sherman for a 2nd rounder. We all know THAT didn't happen so they just released him. They always seem to over spend when trading for someone and not just a little ( Jamal Adams ). A 3rd or, better yet, a 4th rounder and ONLY a 3rd or 4th rounder i could understand for a 9-10 game rental on a aging 305 pound DE and only because they got a 3rd rounder coming back to them.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we gave up the second because basically the Giants ate Williams' entire contract. It still seems steep for a midseason trade.

I think Seattle is just all in at this point... Also, Diggs will likely be gone next season and Geno will give us a ton of cap relief because he's nowhere near hitting the numbers he did last year... so yah... resigning Williams to a 3 year $30M seems reasonable.

This is the only good thing about the trade. The Hawks i believe are only on the hook for $645K i do believe for 2023. He is a big body and knows how to play but that draft capital hurts. I guess they figured a 2nd rounder was worth $9.4 Million in a cap savings cut for this guy. BUT ... if the money was an issue that tells me they have issues resigning him because they could have done a restructure with a new contract. Feels like an expensive rental player. He is a 3 tech DLineman and will be in the rotation no doubts but now you got aging players in that 3 tech role taking time away from the younger developmental type guys. I never like seeing a near the end of their career type player taking time away from someone that needs playing time and shows promise. Sure they might not be as good but with the playing time 2 years from now they might be better than those guys had they been able to play.

I wish the NFL had a developmental league. They need one. Would love to have each team have a type of minor league club :D

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I showed i don't like the trade because of what the Hawks gave up, But i really needed to add this.

Williams does help this team, he is a good player that demands attention. He fits this defense and will be a plug and play guy. He will help the front stay strong and absorb doubles and still hold his spot, he has nice feet and quickness for a 300 pounder making him an asset in the stunt game. He will help Reed just by being out there and gives the rotation some more gas. He is another vet on a team loaded with young kids that need guidance. Yes he does make the team better just not a lot better. He 100% adds strength to the rotation and is a good add. I just don't like the loss of capital, Not a valuable 2nd rounder. Guess Pete and John feel that 2nd rounder is going to be in the 60 range and they have that 3rd coming back to them that could be a early to mid 3rd round pick. Pete is always so optimistic I really believe he thinks that 2nd rounder was going to be one of the last picks in the 2nd round, I hope he is right. If the Hawks end up picking in that 13-18 range then it's a miss.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm laughing at the people that are saying that Williams is at the end of his career. He's 29. He doesn't turn 30 until next June. Defensive players that are currently 29 or older.

TJ Watt - 29
Danielle Hunter - 29
Trey Hendrickson - 28
Hasaan Reddick - 29
Chris Jones - 29

Hell, Myles Garrett is nearly 28.

Williams may not pan out for the team. But Williams being 29 is not a reason to avoid the trade.

We still have 7 picks for the 2024 draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the only good thing about the trade. The Hawks i believe are only on the hook for $645K i do believe for 2023. He is a big body and knows how to play but that draft capital hurts. I guess they figured a 2nd rounder was worth $9.4 Million in a cap savings cut for this guy. BUT ... if the money was an issue that tells me they have issues resigning him because they could have done a restructure with a new contract. Feels like an expensive rental player. He is a 3 tech DLineman and will be in the rotation no doubts but now you got aging players in that 3 tech role taking time away from the younger developmental type guys. I never like seeing a near the end of their career type player taking time away from someone that needs playing time and shows promise. Sure they might not be as good but with the playing time 2 years from now they might be better than those guys had they been able to play.

I wish the NFL had a developmental league. They need one. Would love to have each team have a type of minor league club :D

lol, well I wouldn't say it's the 'only good thing' about the trade... Seattle's getting one of the better DTs in the NFL at a position where we could seriously use the depth. Williams is an all around DT. He plays the run well, he plays the pass well, and he can go EDGE (DE down lineman, not stand up OLB) in a 3-4 or interior DL. It's a good fit with how Seattle likes to present looks.

I still think the Giants 'won' the trade, but it's not some F or C to A kind of thing. In addition, if Seattle let's Leonard walk they likely re-coup a 3rd round compensatory for it the following year... and of course there's a hope we resign him. He's 29... getting up there, but still has 4 years (including this) of productive football left.

End of day the defense is vastly improved with Williams. Despite Reed playing really well this season, I didn't have much confidence that our DL can beat any GOOD offensive lineman convincingly. Now I have that confidence. Williams can beat top tier offensive lineman one on one or command double teams in the run and shift the direction of the runner. And given how shitty Clark is in coverage and the run game, that's something we desperately need.

I wonder if San Fran was 7-1 or 8-0 whether or not this trade still happens. I think it does. Being 5-2 you're very much in the playoff race and once in the playoffs anything goes... but knowing they are coming up against Baltimore/49ers x2/Dallas/Philly, I think Seattle's FO and coaching staff realized they have to continue to push the pass rush and the one area where it's lacking is the DL. That was always a question mark coming into this season... and now it's fixed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, well I wouldn't say it's the 'only good thing' about the trade... Seattle's getting one of the better DTs in the NFL at a position where we could seriously use the depth. Williams is an all around DT. He plays the run well, he plays the pass well, and he can go EDGE (DE down lineman, not stand up OLB) in a 3-4 or interior DL. It's a good fit with how Seattle likes to present looks.

I still think the Giants 'won' the trade, but it's not some F or C to A kind of thing. In addition, if Seattle let's Leonard walk they likely re-coup a 3rd round compensatory for it the following year... and of course there's a hope we resign him. He's 29... getting up there, but still has 4 years (including this) of productive football left.

End of day the defense is vastly improved with Williams. Despite Reed playing really well this season, I didn't have much confidence that our DL can beat any GOOD offensive lineman convincingly. Now I have that confidence. Williams can beat top tier offensive lineman one on one or command double teams in the run and shift the direction of the runner. And given how shitty Clark is in coverage and the run game, that's something we desperately need.

I wonder if San Fran was 7-1 or 8-0 whether or not this trade still happens.

I think the whole "who won the trade" discussion is kind of pointless. The Giants won from their perspective because they are facing down a full rebuild. So getting a 2nd and 5th is great given they were likely not getting anything for him especially if they are active in the FA market.

Leonard Williams instantly becomes the best player on the DL and improves it. Considering that most of us felt that the DL, especially the interior part, was a big concern prior to the season, this should seem like a pretty big win for us for this season.

As you say, if we do wind up losing him in the offseason, then we have a very good chance of recouping a 3rd.

Reed and Jones and Edwards have played well. But we run a real risk of them being overworked. At the very least, Williams offsets that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the whole "who won the trade" discussion is kind of pointless. The Giants won from their perspective because they are facing down a full rebuild. So getting a 2nd and 5th is great given they were likely not getting anything for him especially if they are active in the FA market.

Leonard Williams instantly becomes the best player on the DL and improves it. Considering that most of us felt that the DL, especially the interior part, was a big concern prior to the season, this should seem like a pretty big win for us for this season.

As you say, if we do wind up losing him in the offseason, then we have a very good chance of recouping a 3rd.

Reed and Jones and Edwards have played well. But we run a real risk of them being overworked. At the very least, Williams offsets that.

Well point being, the trade made sense for both teams. I get 'who won' is kind of pointless, but just saying I'd give a SLIGHT nod to the Giants. That said, Seattle also had to give up a bit more draft capital because we couldn't take on his salary hit. I know a lot of people were like, "CHRIS JONES SEAHAWKS!" That would've not only cost more (in capital) but Seattle simply didn't have the cap room to afford him lol. I hate to say it but we need to keep some money around to sign guys in the event of injury (just like Frank Clark). Seattle can roll over that salary cap as well if (and hopefully) everyone stays healthy.

I think people that hate the trade (and there are people who do) are forgetting a lot about the financial implications of it. If we gave up a 2nd and 5th and absorbed the full salary I'd mark this down to a D or C range for Seattle.

I also agree 100% with your last few sentences... there's not a lot of depth on Seattle's DL and while I think our younger guys have done a great job, if Jones or Reed go out this defense is likely done. Williams not only ensures that's not the case but a combo of Reed/Williams/Jones on the field is going to make things quite difficult for offenses, coupled with Brooks/Wagner/Mafe and Witherspoon/Adams doing their thing. On paper that sounds like a nightmare.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears giving up a 2nd for montez sweat, which will be almost a first.

Im going out on a limb and guessing it would have cost us our 1st rounder to get him.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if San Fran was 7-1 or 8-0 whether or not this trade still happens. I think it does. Being 5-2 you're very much in the playoff race and once in the playoffs anything goes... but knowing they are coming up against Baltimore/49ers x2/Dallas/Philly, I think Seattle's FO and coaching staff realized they have to continue to push the pass rush and the one area where it's lacking is the DL. That was always a question mark coming into this season... and now it's fixed.
Yes, he's a stud against the run... 6 of our next 8 games are against teams that are top 10 offenses via the run... This was a move to help strengthen that area due to the tough rush offenses we have coming up on our schedule... Plus, imagine if Reed/Jones went down... What would our depth look like in that area?