• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahaawks trade for Leonard Williams

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 300 pounds, Willams is much more of a DT then DE

In a 3-4 defense, DEs easily run between 280 and 300. Williams has played DE for much of his career. Hell, even Seattle has a history of 300 pound defensive ends including Red Bryant.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really buy the notion that people think Williams is too old or washed. Watch his tape. Yeah, he doesn't get the numbers because Dexter Laurence and Thibideau do but Williams is always flushing guys out and taking blockers away from those other guys because he pushes the pocket well. He is also very good in the run game. I expect the outside guys and blitzers to get more free runs now and I think we just solidified our run defense. The guy has juice and still makes teams account for him. I think when him and Jerren get some time playing together, they will be really disruptive up front and help the young guys on that line get better and more confident.
As for down the road, it's obviously a push for this years play-off run. I really don't expect them to re-sign him but the team has options all around and isn't in a bad cap position. They aren't paying much if that 2nd rounder turns into late 2nd when the Giants are paying most of his way. We were able to build our draft capital with the Wilson trade and still have plenty of picks. We also have drafted well and have lots of young talent already. Draft picks aren't really a primary need at this time. Capitalizing on this window is more important, imo. The league is in some flux right now and the QB play is down across the board. A good defense can steal some games. Just look at the Steelers and Jets. If the Hawks can get playing complimentary and stop making mistakes, they have a real shot at some upsets in the conference.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really buy the notion that people think Williams is too old or washed. Watch his tape. Yeah, he doesn't get the numbers because Dexter Laurence and Thibideau do but Williams is always flushing guys out and taking blockers away from those other guys because he pushes the pocket well. He is also very good in the run game. I expect the outside guys and blitzers to get more free runs now and I think we just solidified our run defense. The guy has juice and still makes teams account for him. I think when him and Jerren get some time playing together, they will be really disruptive up front and help the young guys on that line get better and more confident.
As for down the road, it's obviously a push for this years play-off run. I really don't expect them to re-sign him but the team has options all around and isn't in a bad cap position. They aren't paying much if that 2nd rounder turns into late 2nd when the Giants are paying most of his way. We were able to build our draft capital with the Wilson trade and still have plenty of picks. We also have drafted well and have lots of young talent already. Draft picks aren't really a primary need at this time. Capitalizing on this window is more important, imo. The league is in some flux right now and the QB play is down across the board. A good defense can steal some games. Just look at the Steelers and Jets. If the Hawks can get playing complimentary and stop making mistakes, they have a real shot at some upsets in the conference.
Williams had nine QB pressures yesterday against the Jets

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those moves to get a bit better right now for valuable draft capitol they are going to need next draft. Think the ceiling for success this season is to low to make this kind of move. Nobody is mentioning the Seahawks as SuperBowl candidates and the Seahawks do not have a ton of cap space next year which makes draft picks essential to continue building the roster. I'm just going to hope the Seahawks exceed my expectations, which were higher than most at the start of the season as I went with 12-5 which was perhaps overly optimistic. I feel the Seahawks are still in the middle of a rebuild, one which mostly has been good with acquiring good players the last two drafts, but is still under construction IMO. Never been one to like Pete/John moves to sacrifice future draft capitol to get marginally better right now.
I can only hope the season goes much better than I anticipated.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams had nine QB pressures yesterday against the Jets
No offense, but QB pressures are one of those bogus stats which are subjective, unlike sacks or QB hits. This stat is used often to fluff a player resume who otherwise has crappy stats and the sites we general use for stats don't include QB pressure for this reason. Show me a player who's best stat is QB pressure and I'll show you a player who is more hype than a player who actually produces. Sorry for the rant, but had to get this pet peeve of mine off my chest.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I can’t believe John and Pete didn’t consult the fine members of this board before making this move! This could have been avoided if they talked to people who know what they are doing.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I can’t believe John and Pete didn’t consult the fine members of this board before making this move! This could have been avoided if they talked to people who know what they are doing.

:L Wow, guess no need for there to be a message board at all. I'll be sure to inform the site owners that they're just wasting their time letting people opine on here - since there's no reason to have your own opinion about anything.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You object to Seahawks fans giving their opinions on the trade? This is a sports message board, this is what we do.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Wow, guess no need for there to be a message board at all. I'll be sure to inform the site owners that they're just wasting their time letting people opine on here - since there's no reason to have your own opinion about anything.
:ninja:

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but QB pressures are one of those bogus stats which are subjective, unlike sacks or QB hits. This stat is used often to fluff a player resume who otherwise has crappy stats and the sites we general use for stats don't include QB pressure for this reason. Show me a player who's best stat is QB pressure and I'll show you a player who is more hype than a player who actually produces. Sorry for the rant, but had to get this pet peeve of mine off my chest.
Sacks are just the icing on the cake. What you really want is a player that is consistently disruptive. A player who consistently collapses the pocket.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What excites me about this trade is not so much that we acquired Williams, it is Williams teamed up with Jones and Reed that excites me. He in my opinion he completes the DL in our 3/4 Defense. This is not about huge sack numbers from Williams, it is all about making it near impossible to run the ball up the middle and consistently collapsing the pocket. I do believe that is what we will get from this trio. Complete domination.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You object to Seahawks fans giving their opinions on the trade? This is a sports message board, this is what we do.
Nuts! It looks like I made the same mistake as John and Pete and didn’t consult the fine members of this board. That’s my bad guys please forgive me I’m still learning.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuts! It looks like I made the same mistake as John and Pete and didn’t consult the fine members of this board. That’s my bad guys please forgive me I’m still learning.
Our bad actually as we should of gotten your permission before posting here.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those moves to get a bit better right now for valuable draft capitol they are going to need next draft. Think the ceiling for success this season is to low to make this kind of move. Nobody is mentioning the Seahawks as SuperBowl candidates and the Seahawks do not have a ton of cap space next year which makes draft picks essential to continue building the roster. I'm just going to hope the Seahawks exceed my expectations, which were higher than most at the start of the season as I went with 12-5 which was perhaps overly optimistic. I feel the Seahawks are still in the middle of a rebuild, one which mostly has been good with acquiring good players the last two drafts, but is still under construction IMO. Never been one to like Pete/John moves to sacrifice future draft capitol to get marginally better right now.
I can only hope the season goes much better than I anticipated.
Does carroll retire after next year? Do we go into next year rolling with geno and going superbowl or bust?

Is geno good enough to get us there? Did we throw way a great opportunity to get a good qb prospect in a very deep qb draft?

It kinda feel a like they are going all in for this year and next. Maybe they even feel they have a good shot at the SB this year the way the niners have faltered and the eagles havent looked great

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does carroll retire after next year? Do we go into next year rolling with geno and going superbowl or bust?

Is geno good enough to get us there? Did we throw way a great opportunity to get a good qb prospect in a very deep qb draft?

It kinda feel a like they are going all in for this year and next. Maybe they even feel they have a good shot at the SB this year the way the niners have faltered and the eagles havent looked great
Not even Pete knows when he is going to retire IMO. Geno isn't good enough to get us there, if by there you mean SuperBowl IMO. I do like how the team has improved the roster over all, but think it needs one more draft to round it out.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even Pete knows when he is going to retire IMO. Geno isn't good enough to get us there, if by there you mean SuperBowl IMO. I do like how the team has improved the roster over all, but think it needs one more draft to round it out.
I agree geno isnt good enough, but it doesnt look likely we will be able to draft a qb next year unless we reach horribly on a tier 3 guy like nix

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Run Defense is all ready a top 10 unit, In week 4 we were 29th in passing Defense ( 3 games ago ) now we are 17th in just THREE games. The Defense hasn't just been trending in the right direction they are STEAMROLLING in that direction. 11th in PPG after being 31st going into week 4. I mean saying "If" we have a top 10 Defense then blah blah .... I think we were all ready heading into that area with out Williams and would have been top 10 with out him. I am not bashing the move as I understand it I just don't like the fact we gave up a 2nd for a 29 year old in his final year of a contract. The capital is a steep price to pay for a 10 game rental or even less maybe a 9 game rental.

Thats a steep price to pay no matter HOW you look at it or the return we get just because the defense was all ready trending towards top 10.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't you also use this reasoning for why Jalen Carter was a bad pick?

Sacks and QB hits are useful but certainly don't tell the whole picture. The best pass rushers in football average about 1 sack per game. 1 sack out of 70-80 plays.

Things like win rate and pressures help give a little more context. Of course neither stats is definitive. No stats are. But they help paint a better picture.

Sacks are great. But what's even more important is generating consistent pressure that forces the QB off his mark. Leonard Williams isn't going to get double digit sacks. But that isn't what we need from him. What we need is for him to take on double teams and push the pocket.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit upsetting because if Nwosu didn't get hurt we wouldn't have made this move.

Ah well... Giants definitely won this trade. Traded a 30+ year old DL for a 2nd rounder.

We also CANNOT tag Williams btw.. he's been tagged twice. This is either Pete's final desperation as a coach or an incoming signing at DL..

More I think about it, not a fan of this move.

:lebowski2: