• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scherzer REJECTS Offer

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was the deal I agree

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted more yrs:suds:

According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM, Max Scherzer wants an eight-year deal from the Tigers.
And the Tigers offered him six years at $144 million. The two sides have cut off talks and might not reopen them until the end of the 2014 season -- if at all. Scherzer deserves to cash in big after winning American League Cy Young Award honors last season. And he will cash in big if he repeats his numbers from 2013 and then hits the open market.

my god you greedy bastid! I mean yes it's 2 less years but it is $144 million dollars!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it after last year -- Detroit needed to deal Scherzer for a package of players. It will almost impossible for a mid-market team like Detroit to sign Verlander, Cabrera, Sanchez AND Scherzer to big contracts.

With Scherzer having Boras as an agent -- I knew he was going to test FA. Turning down one of the top 10 salaries for a pitcher after one amazing year is foolish to me. The guy is two years removed from being sent to the minors.

Glad the Tigers cut off talks now -- no reason to overpay for a power pitcher, who has control issues at time. Once the velocity on the fastball drops -- control is what will keep the top pitchers relevant.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it after last year -- Detroit needed to deal Scherzer for a package of players. It will almost impossible for a mid-market team like Detroit to sign Verlander, Cabrera, Sanchez AND Scherzer to big contracts.

With Scherzer having Boras as an agent -- I knew he was going to test FA. Turning down one of the top 10 salaries for a pitcher after one amazing year is foolish to me. The guy is two years removed from being sent to the minors.

Glad the Tigers cut off talks now -- no reason to overpay for a power pitcher, who has control issues at time. Once the velocity on the fastball drops -- control is what will keep the top pitchers relevant.

he had a 2.4 BB/9 last year and has finished in the top 5 in K/BB over the last two years. The walk rate's fine, especially in the case of one of the top strikeout pitchers in the league.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And holy crap, I had no idea Scherzer pitched about 27 more innings in 2013 than he did in 2012. He made 32 starts both of those years.

he has a 2.6 BB/9 over the last three years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't even fathom the thought of turning down 24 million dollars a year.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly what more could Scherzer ask for? I dont know if any other team will really offer more than that in free agency or if he just doesn't want to stay in Detroit.

Did you miss the part where it says

"Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,'' Boras said.

Sure sounds to me like this is working opposite of normal where the team would make the offer. Boreass seems to want to cut thru all the negotiations and tell a team what they would settle to work for.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Boras.

Don't need to read anything else in the article.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had a 2.4 BB/9 last year and has finished in the top 5 in K/BB over the last two years. The walk rate's fine, especially in the case of one of the top strikeout pitchers in the league.

Max throws from a 3/4 arm slot. When he is repeating the delivery consistently -- he is almost unhittable. Since being on Detroit -- he has had issues with this. He will go games with 0 or 1 walk and then have a game where he walks 7. This past year was the 1st time he stayed consistent throughout.

That is why he was sent to the Minors in 2011. Has never had more than 16 wins in a season until last year. Never had an ERA lower than 3.50 before last year. Never had a WHIP below 1.247 before last year. And finally why he had never thrown 200 IP before last year.

Detroit was willing to make him a top 10 paid pitcher after one career year. He wants a contract that will pay him till he is 38. No thank you.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max throws from a 3/4 arm slot. When he is repeating the delivery consistently -- he is almost unhittable. Since being on Detroit -- he has had issues with this. He will go games with 0 or 1 walk and then have a game where he walks 7. This past year was the 1st time he stayed consistent throughout.

That is why he was sent to the Minors in 2011. Has never had more than 16 wins in a season until last year. Never had an ERA lower than 3.50 before last year. Never had a WHIP below 1.247 before last year. And finally why he had never thrown 200 IP before last year.

Detroit was willing to make him a top 10 paid pitcher after one career year. He wants a contract that will pay him till he is 38. No thank you.

the highlighted part makes me laugh (that Detroit was willing to do that after one year) and he wanted that long of a contract. He should have bent over backwards with JOY with the Tigers offer, especially only after one year... man Boras you F U your clients!